The GMG "How to...?" thread

Started by Maciek, April 14, 2007, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: John of Glasgow on June 13, 2011, 08:10:10 AM
Ok then, sorry about that, I now realise it is a bad idea and could open up much abuse of the forum.   0:)

You can use it in your signature instead.

>:D
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

How did you do that anyway John? :)

John Copeland

Quote from: Opus106 on June 13, 2011, 08:13:30 AM
You can use it in your signature instead.

>:D

I don't know the code for inserting a gif into my signature, and Il Barone Scarpia will clearly be upset if I get it...so...what is the method of putting it in ones signature then???   >:D

DavidW, takes a lot of doing and a cross fabric of software.  I would have to write a mini booklet on it!  Amazing that I can do something like that but don't even know a simple code to insert the damn thing!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: John of Glasgow on June 13, 2011, 08:20:54 AM
I don't know the code for inserting a gif into my signature, and Il Barone Scarpia will clearly be upset if I get it...so...what is the method of putting it in ones signature then???   >:D

DavidW, takes a lot of doing and a cross fabric of software.  I would have to write a mini booklet on it!  Amazing that I can do something like that but don't even know a simple code to insert the damn thing!

Pictures in your sig are a snap, John. Post it on a host, copy the img link from them, paste it in your sig edit block. However, I don't know if the gif will be animated or not. I tried one in my avatar quite a while back and ran into the same thing you did. I think that part kills the animation. But the sig part might not do. Worth a try. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Hey, John, look at my animated sig.! :D
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Sounds too complicated for me, else I would have alot of fun making Wagner speak and so forth. ;D

Opus106

So what's Rott mouthing anyway?
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on June 13, 2011, 08:32:38 AM
So what's Rott mouthing anyway?

Quote from: John of Glasgow on June 12, 2011, 08:40:59 PM
DAY ONE

Before I start nattering about it myself, Hans has a few things to say...
If it doesn't show here, then:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc-BVbABJEU
http://www.youtube.com/v/Rc-BVbABJEU
Ach!

From screenwriting antics in the diner.  It will be epic! ;D

Scarpia

Don't worry, I'll put a post-it on my screen to block the offending animated image.   :)

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on June 13, 2011, 08:34:06 AM
From screenwriting antics in the diner.  It will be epic! ;D

Thanks. How did he get Hawking to dub? ;D And thumb up for Anton's "too bad". ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

John Copeland

Thank you Gurn.  Hans is now publicly animated for the first time since 1884.  That's the easy part done.  Now I have to get him on film... 8)

foxandpeng

Is there a way to mute threads that I don't want to see? I know that I can choose not to visit those threads, but they still appear in the 'recent posts' and other quick link paths.

TIA
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 24, 2021, 04:03:24 PM
Is there a way to mute threads that I don't want to see? I know that I can choose not to visit those threads, but they still appear in the 'recent posts' and other quick link paths.

TIA

I don't believe there is.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 24, 2021, 04:12:45 PM
I don't believe there is.

Thanks, Karl. How discouraging. I appreciate that some really enjoy them, but I'm starting to find the political threads sufficiently off-putting to make my visits here less frequent.

Urgh.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Papy Oli

It would be a shame to let 2 or 3 threads spoil your overall enjoyment of the forum. Just click what interests you, even if sometimes the temptation is too strong  ;)

Alternatively, you can always go to the Diner page first, read only the 2 or 3 threads that really do interest you (e.g. reading, eating, movie watched) then click "Mark Read" at the top left within the Diner. It will clear the political ones (and the "words" one which can be an acquired taste), then you can happily move back to the overall Unread posts, with only the musical threads left to enjoy  8)

Olivier

Szykneij

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 25, 2021, 01:29:08 AM
... (and the "words" one which can be an acquired taste),

Yes, I'm sure there are lots of members who enjoy the "word" threads, but there are now so many that the threads I like to follow get bumped to the second page. My understanding is that these types of threads exist mainly to artificially inflate the activity numbers of a forum?
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Que

Quote from: Szykneij on September 25, 2021, 03:28:01 AM
Yes, I'm sure there are lots of members who enjoy the "word" threads, but there are now so many that the threads I like to follow get bumped to the second page. My understanding is that these types of threads exist mainly to artificially inflate the activity numbers of a forum?

Why would you think that? All these threads have been created at some point in time by former or present individual members.
Personally I don't see the attraction, but they do seem to be favoured by many here considering their regular activity.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Szykneij on September 25, 2021, 03:28:01 AM

These threads exist because some people have nothing better to do. Having nothing better to do accounts for a large fraction of human activity.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 25, 2021, 05:23:21 AM
These threads exist because some people have nothing better to do. Having nothing better to do accounts for a large fraction of human activity.

Yes it is kind of like completing a crossword but with much less effort!

Szykneij

Quote from: Que on September 25, 2021, 05:05:36 AM

Why would you think that? All these threads have been created at some point in time by former or present individual members.
Personally I don't see the attraction, but they do seem to be favoured by many here considering their regular activity.

I'm not criticizing the threads or those who enjoy them, even though they don't appeal to me. But there are now so many of them, they tend to bury all the other subjects. Another non-music forum I sometimes frequent has a separate child board for them and other similar games (and that's where some unabashedly admit that they intentionally post to boost the website post count.)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige