The GMG "How to...?" thread

Started by Maciek, April 14, 2007, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on September 25, 2021, 05:57:42 AM
Yes it is kind of like completing a crossword but with much less effort!

Tangentially, I was tickled by the character in a movie who did crosswords just by filling in boxes, without regard for clues.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 25, 2021, 06:14:05 AM
Tangentially, I was tickled by the character in a movie who did crosswords just by filling in boxes, without regard for clues.

Which is actually more difficult, if you think about it, if he was able to come up with real words that fit.   8)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Rosalba

Hello. I've been a (not very active) member for a few years but have decided to up the ante.

I have two problems which I'd be very grateful to have help with.

The first is that my husband applied to become a member a few days ago but has not had a confirmatory email and in the meantime two new people have joined.

The second is that I have pm-ed two 'stalwart' members and ticked the box that said the letter should be in my outbox - but I can't locate my outbox. How do you find it?

Sorry if the answers to these difficulties are staring me in the face. I am not very good at the technical stuff.

Thanks if you can help me. I'd love it if my husband could share the GMG culture and post in the music threads including ones I've put up myself.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Rosalba on April 16, 2022, 03:27:46 AM
The second is that I have pm-ed two 'stalwart' members and ticked the box that said the letter should be in my outbox - but I can't locate my outbox. How do you find it?

Hi Rosalba,

For the outbox issue:

- From the homepage, Click on My Messages in the menu options below your profile pic.
- On the page that comes up, just underneath you will see another Messages in an orange box. Hover on it or Click it.
- a Drop down menu will appear with the Sent Items link you are searching for.
Olivier

Rosalba

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 16, 2022, 03:38:03 AM
Hi Rosalba,

For the outbox issue:

- From the homepage, Click on My Messages in the menu options below your profile pic.
- On the page that comes up, just underneath you will see another Messages in an orange box. Hover on it or Click it.
- a Drop down menu will appear with the Sent Items link you are searching for.

:) - Hurray! It worked. Thank you very much!

One problem solved.
Hoping now that someone can advise me on how my husband can make a successful application to join GMG. 

bhodges

Quote from: Rosalba on April 16, 2022, 03:44:14 AM
:) - Hurray! It worked. Thank you very much!

One problem solved.
Hoping now that someone can advise me on how my husband can make a successful application to join GMG.

Hi Rosalba! (One of the moderators here.) After he sets up an account, I'm not sure the software will confirm his email. What I can tell you: when someone joins, their initial post has to be approved by one of the 4 moderators. (It helps keep out bots and spam.) People usually make their initial post in the "Introductions" section, but that's just a suggestion, not a requirement.

Anyway, after that, people are home free. See if that helps, but if not, we'll figure it out. And welcome back.  :)

--Bruce

Rosalba

Quote from: Brewski on April 16, 2022, 04:16:21 AM
Hi Rosalba! (One of the moderators here.) After he sets up an account, I'm not sure the software will confirm his email. What I can tell you: when someone joins, their initial post has to be approved by one of the 4 moderators. (It helps keep out bots and spam.) People usually make their initial post in the "Introductions" section, but that's just a suggestion, not a requirement.

Anyway, after that, people are home free. See if that helps, but if not, we'll figure it out. And welcome back.  :)

--Bruce

Thank you, Bruce.
I'm writing this on behalf of my husband - he says that he cannot log on because it says: 'An error has occurred. Your email needs to be validated. Send another activation email.' Apparently he has tried activation emails about four times with no result.

Would it help if I pm-ed you with his email address and proposed user name?

bhodges

Quote from: Rosalba on April 16, 2022, 04:29:52 AM
Thank you, Bruce.
I'm writing this on behalf of my husband - he says that he cannot log on because it says: 'An error has occurred. Your email needs to be validated. Send another activation email.' Apparently he has tried activation emails about four times with no result.

Would it help if I pm-ed you with his email address and proposed user name?

Sure, try that. If it still doesn't work, I'll get advice from the other mods. Thanks for your patience.

--Bruce

Rosalba

Quote from: Brewski on April 16, 2022, 04:31:31 AM
Sure, try that. If it still doesn't work, I'll get advice from the other mods. Thanks for your patience.

--Bruce

Sounds great. I've p-med you, but forgot to give the email a heading in my eagerness - typical! :)

bhodges

Quote from: Rosalba on April 16, 2022, 04:34:39 AM
Sounds great. I've p-med you, but forgot to give the email a heading in my eagerness - typical! :)

Thank you! I may not be able to solve this right away, but we'll get it done!

--Bruce

bhodges

Just sent you a PM, and I think the issue has been solved, but please take a look.

--Bruce

Rosalba

Yes - my hubby aka 'Autolycus' is on. We're so pleased that you've sorted it out for us. Many thanks!

vandermolen

Quote from: Rosalba on April 16, 2022, 06:10:01 AM
Yes - my hubby aka 'Autolycus' is on. We're so pleased that you've sorted it out for us. Many thanks!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

lordlance

I was wondering how do you embed YouTube videos? When i paste links, they're simply plain text such as -

https://youtu.be/xx8ooc-s7OQ

Q2. I can't seem to unfollow the currently listening thread. It's pinned in my following threads list. Is that a site choice?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread. Feel free to contribute and make the list grow!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: lordlance on October 14, 2022, 04:13:57 PM
I was wondering how do you embed YouTube videos? When i paste links, they're simply plain text such as -

https://youtu.be/xx8ooc-s7OQ

There's a thread for that.

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,2663.0.html

The problem is that this embeds the video using flash, which many modern browsers (including the one I use) does not support. I would prefer it if people used your simple text method, which at least creates a link I can follow.

Q2. I can't seem to unfollow the currently listening thread. It's pinned in my following threads list. Is that a site choice?

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Would this be the proper thread where members could post "test" and troubleshooting type of posts? Which could generally be ignored?

Ie. Testing posting images and links (I have difficulty doing with my phone, compared to with a computer).

I would like to play around with performing some test posts.

pjme

Is it possible to change the title of an (old) post

Late Romantic music from Belgium / Ning Kam violin

how do I remove "Ning Kam"?

Peter

ritter

Quote from: pjme on April 10, 2023, 02:24:16 AMIs it possible to change the title of an (old) post

Late Romantic music from Belgium / Ning Kam violin

how do I remove "Ning Kam"?

Peter

I've done it for you, Peter. Hope the result is satisfactory.

pjme

Merci beaucoup, many thanks.

:)

Mandryka

Can someone tell me how I can search a topic? Putting a string in the box and selecting This Topic and then Search doesn't seem to work.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen