The GMG "How to...?" thread

Started by Maciek, April 14, 2007, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dungeon Master

I would like to point out that all this and more is contained within the GMG forum Help pages, in particular, the instructions about posting, and specifically about using Bulletin Board code to format your messages.

While not as easy to understand as the messages above, it is comprehensive.

cheers
Rob

Catison

I tried to write something like this on the old forum.  I don't know if it really was helpful or not, but I thought it might let a few people know some of the features of the forum that I use a lot.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,10986.0.html
-Brett

Maciek

Quote from: admin on April 15, 2007, 03:48:30 PM
I would like to point out that all this and more is contained within the GMG forum Help pages, in particular, the instructions about posting, and specifically about using Bulletin Board code to format your messages.

cheers
Rob

Thanks for mentioning that, Rob. Somehow I forgot. Probably because I already posted a similar link in the thread that started all this. ;D

Maciek

George

Quote from: MrOsa on April 15, 2007, 04:15:56 PM
Thanks for mentioning that, Rob. Somehow I forgot. Probably because I already posted a similar link in the thread that started all this. ;D

Maciek

I actually saw it awhile back, but didn't notice it on that table.

In fact, I probably didn't scoll down far enough to see the table.  :-\

Dancing Divertimentian

Ah, but Mac users (at least) should be happy to learn of my shortcut to posting images a few posts back.

Try finding that in the help pages! ;D ;D ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Maciek

Yes, and images linked to web pages is another feature not described there. And anyway, I've noticed many people are repeatedly having trouble posting photos, attachments etc. despite the existence of the help pages. I'm sure this thread won't hurt and might actually help. Sometimes you need someone else to point out the exact mistake you are making or step you have missed.

Novi

Quote from: Catison on April 15, 2007, 03:58:39 PM
I tried to write something like this on the old forum.  I don't know if it really was helpful or not, but I thought it might let a few people know some of the features of the forum that I use a lot.

Catison, I learnt how to post pictures from that thread. You have not lived in vain ;D
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

George

cheers
Rob

Rob, I just noticed that there is no link to the old GMG on the current GMG homepage, nor on the GMG forum homepage. Could you possibly install a link, pehaps next to the amazon ne at the top right for easy access to the archive?

uffeviking

George

Quote from: uffeviking on May 10, 2007, 08:41:46 AM
I simply added the link to my 'Favorites'; easy accesss!  8)

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,9746.0.html

Thanks. I've done the same.

Its just that I often away from my primary computer.  :-\

Michel

How can I remove the notification I get when reciecing a personal message through my email?

SimonGodders

Profile - Modify Profile - Personal Message Options - then you should see a drop down menu at the bottom of the box, alter it to your favoured selection and click change profile!

Maciek

A small tip for those who want to make a list of more than 7 items.

If this happens (look at what happens after number seven):

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

you can select "Don't use smileys" in the Additional Options (it's right below the window where you type your posts).

Either that, or you could use fullstops instead of brackets... 0:)

Cheers,
Maciek

dtwilbanks

Quote from: MrOsa on May 18, 2007, 02:58:59 PM
A small tip for those who want to make a list of more than 7 items.

If this happens (look at what happens after number seven):

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

you can select "Don't use smileys" in the Additional Options (it's right below the window where you type your posts).

Either that, or you could use fullstops instead of brackets... 0:)

Cheers,
Maciek

Or put a space between the "8" and the ")" 

karlhenning

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 18, 2007, 03:00:24 PM
Or put a space between the "8" and the ")" 

Space: the punctuation frontier . . . .

DavidW

I would like if there was a more localized way of disabling smilies.  Such as latex kind of style is that \ is a preface for all commands.  If smilies had a special character in front of all of them such as  \8) to distinguish between 8) then we can recover it's use as a normal character without disabling smilies across the entire post.

One thing we can do is avoid numbered lists and use the list action--

[list]
[li]foobar[/li]
[li]beethoven[/li]
[li]haydn[/li]
[/list]

generates:

• foobar
  • beethoven
  • haydn

marvinbrown

I would appreciate some help.  I have written in my avatar Richard Wagner followed by the years he lived (1813-1883).  How do I get this (1813-1883) to show in its entirety below the name Richard Wagner and not broken up.  I have tried in the change profile section to put spaces between the name and the dates and to use the return key but nothing seems to work.  Please take a look at my avatar and you will see what I am talking about. Thank you.

marvin

George

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 14, 2007, 06:43:47 AM
  I would appreciate some help.  I have written in my avatar Richard Wagner followed by the years he lived (1813-1883).  How do I get this (1813-1883) to show in its entirety below the name Richard Wagner and not broken up.  I have tried in the change profile section to put spaces between the name and the dates and to use the return key but nothing seems to work.  Please take a look at my avatar and you will see what I am talking about. Thank you.

marvin

On my computer it shows on one line. It's just that your monitor is smaller, like the one I once had at work, so it pushes the text down. 

Mark

That's Marvin's problem, George. He wants to insert a hard return so that the dates sit beneath Wagner's name. Trouble is, I've forgotten the code for this ...

marvinbrown

Quote from: George on June 14, 2007, 06:48:30 AM
On my computer it shows on one line. It's just that your monitor is smaller, like the one I once had at work, so it pushes the text down. 

I see what you mean, on your motinor the dates sit right next to the name.   Do you know how to do this "hard return" that Mark is refering to? or if it can be done?

thank you

marvin