The GMG "How to...?" thread

Started by Maciek, April 14, 2007, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fëanor

I've got a questions about the "Show new replies to your posts" facility.  I use this quite a bit for quick access to a few threads that I enjoy and regularly track.  The problem is that I posted in the 'Bruckner Abbey' thread once many months ago.  Now 'Bruckner Abby' keeps turning up & turning up.

I hate Bruckner's music; how can I stop 'Bruckner Abbey' showing when I use 'Show new replies to your posts'?  (Good grief!! there seems to be a lot of activity there; hard imagine why.)

Drasko

Quote from: Feanor on December 05, 2008, 03:31:08 PM
I hate Bruckner's music; how can I stop 'Bruckner Abbey' showing when I use 'Show new replies to your posts'? 

You can't....

...and yes, I've just posted a new reply there >:D

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Que

I've got a questions about the "Show new replies to your posts" facility.  I use this quite a bit for quick access to a few threads that I enjoy and regularly track.  The problem is that I posted in the 'Bruckner Abbey' thread once many months ago.  Now 'Bruckner Abby' keeps turning up & turning up.

I hate Bruckner's music; how can I stop 'Bruckner Abbey' showing when I use 'Show new replies to your posts'?  (Good grief!! there seems to be a lot of activity there; hard imagine why.)

Well, though you dislike Bruckner, you must have posted at least once on that thread...  ;D
So the solution is: remove your post(s) from that thread and it will not appear anymore on your "replies" list.

Q

Brian

Quote from: 71 dB on December 06, 2008, 02:28:05 AM
What is there to hate in Bruckner's music?
Everyone has different taste, my friend.  :)

Fëanor

Quote from: Que on December 06, 2008, 03:23:04 AM
Well, though you dislike Bruckner, you must have posted at least once on that thread...  ;D
So the solution is: remove your post(s) from that thread and it will not appear anymore on your "replies" list.

Q

Thanks, I'll search and destroy.

Fëanor

Quote from: 71 dB on December 06, 2008, 02:28:05 AM
What is there to hate in Bruckner's music?

I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with Bruckner's music, only that I don't care for it.

In fact, I'm not fond of the Romatic area in general, which is not suggesting that there's anything wrong with Romantic music ... 

Catison

After you click through the threads you really care about, hit the "Mark Read" button.  Then they won't show up until there is a new post.  Its not exactly what you want, but its helpful.
-Brett

Joe_Campbell

So there is no way to unsubscribe to a thread? Many boards have that feature; I thought for sure this one would as well. ???

Opus106

Quote from: JCampbell on December 09, 2008, 10:15:41 AM
So there is no way to unsubscribe to a thread? Many boards have that feature; I thought for sure this one would as well. ???

This situation at hand is a little different from subscribing to threads, which goes by the name of 'Notify' in this board. Subscription does not require that you post in the thread.
Regards,
Navneeth

Novi

I suspect this is more a computer problem than a GMG one, but perhaps someone can give me some advice.

I am now working on a new computer and find that when I preview a post, I get a very small preview box - only about a cm long vertically. Is there any way to change this setting?

Thanks!
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Joe_Campbell on December 09, 2008, 10:15:41 AM

Hear, hear! I can't stand seeing the Oil & Economic Meltdown thread popping up on the 'Show new replies' list. I wish I had never posted in it  >:(. Rob, where are you wnen we need you - so badly ? I want to make a fresh new start  0:)

Dungeon Master

All your Notifications (Subscriptions) are listed in your "Profile" --> "Notifications and Email". You can unsubscribe here.

cheers
Rob

P.S. I hope you have this thread as Notified, so you will see that I replied.  ;)

aquablob

Quote from: George on February 06, 2009, 05:02:44 AM
When I do that I end up with email notification.  :-\

If I just post in the thread, I see it under "new replies to your posts" and get no email.

I never figured out how to adjust this, so I usually do what aquariuswb did.

Sorry, I know this is off-topic... what if you change your profile preferences so that you receive "nothing at all" in E-mail notification. Do "new replies" then show up in the "new replies to your posts" list, even if you have not posted?

I, too, would rather not be sent notifications by E-mail.

secondwind

Hello GMGers.  I need a little technical help. ???  How can I post pretty pictures, like CD covers, book covers, movie posters, etc.?  I haven't been able to figure that out, and my posts are so (visually, anyway) boring! :(  Any help you can give to explain how to find these images and plop them into a post on GMG would be most welcome.  Remember, though, you're talking to a technophobe here, so use the "Martian" approach (how would you explain this to a Martian who had never been on Earth before?).  Thanks! ;)

Brian

Quote from: secondwind on August 22, 2009, 07:13:59 AM
Hello GMGers.  I need a little technical help. ???  How can I post pretty pictures, like CD covers, book covers, movie posters, etc.?  I haven't been able to figure that out, and my posts are so (visually, anyway) boring! :(  Any help you can give to explain how to find these images and plop them into a post on GMG would be most welcome.  Remember, though, you're talking to a technophobe here, so use the "Martian" approach (how would you explain this to a Martian who had never been on Earth before?).  Thanks! ;)

When you're writing or replying to a post, there is a little icon in the second row of formatting options that looks like a picture in a frame (it's the third one in the row) - click on it to insert an image. This should appear in your post:

[img][/img]

Now time to find the image. Usually I will just use Amazon, or Google, or whatever, but let's say I want a picture of the movie "Little Miss Sunshine." Amazon has one, so I right-click the picture on Amazon and click "Copy image location." Now I've got this copied: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51i9w-2GkTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

So I go back and paste that URL in between the img "tags":

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51i9w-2GkTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg[/img]

Now obviously you won't be putting your pictures in those code boxes - I'm using them to show you what the text will look like when you write the post. Here's what will happen when you submit the post, if all is well:

secondwind

Thanks, Brian!  I almost understood that!  I'll try it soon.  Must remember. . . right click on the image. . .  ;D

drogulus

.....and choose "batch convert in dBPowerAmp".  >:D

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

secondwind

Quote from: drogulus on August 22, 2009, 07:37:09 AM

.....and choose "batch convert in dBPowerAmp".  >:D

???As my high school Latin teacher, Mr. Hunt, would say, "Into English good please put!"

71 dB

Brian instructed you wrong secondwind. Hotlinking is not nice, it is using someone else's bandwidth. You should upload the pic to a picture host and after that post the link here. The host automatically generate the link for you so it's just copy paste job.

Don't be an ass and hotlink Amazon. Thanks to the idiots, Amazon's server works slower.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"