The GMG "How to...?" thread

Started by Maciek, April 14, 2007, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

All right, it turns out I had Quick Reply switched off in my Preferences.

Opus106

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2009, 05:59:35 AM
Quick Reply box?

It's the text box at the bottom of the every page of a thread which is not locked. It's a convenient way to post messages quickly. If you can't see one, it's either been disabled or is enabled and turned off by default. (You can "turn it on" by clicking on the + that is followed by Quick Reply.) You can change the setting by going to the Look and Layout Prefs. in your profile and changing the option to Use quick reply on topic display.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2009, 06:03:27 AM

So did I.  I don't think I've ever had quick reply on.  Thanks for the replies on my inquiry (Nav and Karl)

Opus106

I suspected that that was the case. :)

De rein, Ray. :)

Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Multiple quotes are easy. I was thinking that Ray meant "nested" quotes. Every time (thus rarely) that I use nested quotes it is a hardship. Yet I see others use them. I know damn well I'm not the only non-rocket scientist on this forum... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brahmsian

Yes, no wonder!  The Quick Reply setting is the key!   :)

Now, I guess you would only have to use copy and paste if you were wanting quotes from threads outside the one you were posting in?  Although I know, that's not something one would do and use frequently anyway.

Opus106

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 22, 2009, 06:15:51 AM
Now, I guess you would only have to use copy and paste if you were wanting quotes from threads outside the one you were posting in? 

Of if you want to quote posts from other pages of same thread.
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2009, 05:59:35 AM
Quick Reply box?

You have to enable it in your settings Mr Karl. :)

I use copy and paste on nested quotes.  Speaking of quotes, I always laugh when someone screws up puts their reply in the quote, especially since they show up as nested quotes more often than not. :D

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on October 22, 2009, 06:25:13 AM
Speaking of quotes, I always laugh when someone screws up puts their reply in the quote, especially since they show up as nested quotes more often than not. :D

I don't understand. ???
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Well it's pretty funny, I don't even know how they end up doing it.  It's pretty funny when it happens.  Of course I would never do it. ;D

I use copy and paste on nested quotes.  Speaking of quotes, I always laugh when someone screws up puts their reply in the quote, especially since they show up as nested quotes more often than not. :D

I don't understand. ???

Opus106

There you go: nested quotes straight from a scientist. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

QuoteWell it's pretty funny, I don't even know how they end up doing it.  It's pretty funny when it happens.  Of course I would never do it.

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 09:25:13 AM
You have to enable it in your settings Mr Karl.

I use copy and paste on nested quotes.  Speaking of quotes, I always laugh when someone screws up puts their reply in the quote, especially since they show up as nested quotes more often than not.

I don't understand.

You guys are funny.  I don't think that's happened to me either.

karlhenning

Oui.

karlhenning

jlaurson

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 18, 2007, 03:00:24 PM
Or put a space between the "8" and the ")"  

another way is to open and close tags between the "8" and the paren.

For example: 8)   Except, of course, that the tags in this forum are square brackets which I didn't now use because I'm too lazy to look up their ASIN ASCII code to make those show up instead of turning things italic.

8) that way, there's no space that makes your list look uneven.

p.s.  Hotlinking to Amazon is encouraged by Amazon.  And I don't just hotlink, I link straight to the work. They must love me for that. But yes, it does make me lazy in the brain, apparently.

DavidW

Clever Jens!  I'm using that trick from now on. :)

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on October 23, 2009, 08:10:37 AM
I'm too lazy to look up their ASIN code to make those show up instead of turning things italic.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the side-effects of too much hot-linking to Amazon.com.
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Catison

Hmm,  my favorite smilies:

1) :)
2) ;)
3) :D
4) ;D
5) >:(
6) :(
7) :o