The GMG "How to...?" thread

Started by Maciek, April 14, 2007, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Trying to see if I can attach an image.

Franco

Okay - I finally figured that out!

Now where is that Thread Alignment topic?

drogulus

Quote from: Catison on November 13, 2009, 05:48:09 AM
Hmm,  my favorite smilies:

1) :)
2) ;)
3) :D
4) ;D
5) >:(
6) :(
7) :o
8) 8)
9) ???
10) :P

???????????
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

jlaurson

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Maciek

drogulus

offbeat

just trying to figure out how to do an image so use this thread for my experiment  :o

hopefully its a rothko

Lilas Pastia

Here's my problem: I purchased a download of Siegfried, and it comes as 3 files (one per act). I want to burn them on disc.

The first file exceeds the maximum length of time a disc can handle (it's 82:37 long).

Does anyone know how to cut the file into two sections?

Gurn Blanston

What format are they in right now, Lilas?

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Netherlands Radio Chamber Orchestra-Halstead - Wilms - op.58 Symphony #6 in d-2nd mvmt-Andante quasi allegretto e grazioso
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Maciek

Also, EAC has the ability to check the real capacity of your CD-R (some of them can easily hold 83 mins) and actually burn that much (overburn). It works, I've used it many times (of course provided that your burner can do it - some of them can't).

Keemun

If the file format is Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF, you can use Audacity (it's free) to split the file into two tracks.  Also, if the file format is FLAC, you could decode (convert) it to WAV and then use Audacity.
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Lilas Pastia

It seems to be MP 3 - well, that's what it says if I ask for the properties. I normally use Burrn, which I know can overwrite up to 82 minutes. But when I drag the file into the Burrn program, nothing happens (it doesn't go in). I have to use Monkey or Windows Media Player. Except that THEY don't overwrite. I have an error message for that Act 1 file. I guess the answer would be to find a way to get it to the Burrn program.

Anyone knows how o do it? If not, I'll try Audacity (although that could be arduous for yours truly... :'( )

Maciek

Well, if it's an mp3, you can also use mp3DirectCut to cut it. It has the merit of working directly with the mp3 file (unlike Audacity, which first converts the file into its native format, and then back to mp3 again) and doing the cutting losslessly.

Lilas Pastia

Thanks, 'Mack the Knife'  ;).

I downloaded Audacity yesterday, imported my file in the program and got stuck, not knowing what to do next. I'll tryMp3directcut, then!

Maciek

You're welcome! :)

You should perhaps thank me once you manage to get directcut to work though... ;D ;D ;D

[What you generally have to do:
1. open file in program,
2. click "I<" (this will send the cursor to the beginning of the file),
3. click "set begin",
4. find the point where you want the first new file to end,
5. click "set end",
6. you will notice that the window with "Selection" will show you the start point, end point, and total length of your selection,
7. from "File" menu select "Save selection",
8. select the location where you want the new file to be saved and type in a name for it (eg. Wagner1) - click "Save" - you now have the first of two file,
9. click ">>..I" (if you hover over that button it will say "go to end of selection"),
10. click "set begin" (this way your new selection will start exactly where the previous one ended),
11. click ">I",
12. click "set end",
13. from "File" menu select "Save selection",
14. select a location for your new file and give it a name (eg. Wagner2), click "Save",
15. You're done: you now have two files, the second ending where the first left off.]

[If you have any problems (esp. with point 4 above), let me know.]

Lilas Pastia

Thanks for the detailed instructions, Maciek! You know me quite well: I did download the program, was able to import the file, but of course got to a standstill, so nothing came out of my efforts. Now I'll try again, and with your help I shoul be able to go a few steps further. I might even succeed  :D

Lilas Pastia

It worked - not exactly as you detailed it(*), but I was able to use a 'split the file' command that worked once I selected the splitting moment. From then on, it was 'save file', and then I could burn them. Phewwwww  ???

(*) all I succeeded in doing was copying over and over the same 83 minutes file  :-[

Maciek

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 25, 2009, 08:58:09 PM
I was able to use a 'split the file' command that worked once I selected the splitting moment. From then on, it was 'save file', and then I could burn them.

Brilliant!

[I wasn't even aware there was such an option (all I ever used the program for was making short clips - I've never made more than one "output" file from a single "input" file).]

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Maciek on December 25, 2009, 10:54:31 PM
Brilliant!

[I wasn't even aware there was such an option (all I ever used the program for was making short clips - I've never made more than one "output" file from a single "input" file).]

:D .I sweat profusely when I grapple with these things, but I love it when the beast has been tamed  8)