The GMG "How to...?" thread

Started by Maciek, April 14, 2007, 03:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 14, 2007, 06:57:19 AM
  I see what you mean, on your motinor the dates sit right next to the name.   Do you know how to do this "hard return" that Mark is refering to? or if it can be done?

thank you

marvin

Sorry, misunderstood your problem.

Have you tried just putting empty space after the last name?

Otherwise, I'd PM a moderator for help.  :)

Dungeon Master

No it can't be done reliably. The custom text area does not allow anything other than simple text - no HTML or BBC formatting.

The text overflows to the next line when the text is too long for the column, so if Richard Wagner's name was much longer, the dates would flow into the next line.

Mark

In which case, just keep hitting SPACE till the dates go onto the next line, no?

George

Quote from: Mark on June 14, 2007, 08:59:40 AM
In which case, just keep hitting SPACE till the dates go onto the next line, no?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

SonicMan46

Quote from: admin on June 14, 2007, 08:54:54 AM
No it can't be done reliably. The custom text area does not allow anything other than simple text - no HTML or BBC formatting.

The text overflows to the next line when the text is too long for the column, so if Richard Wagner's name was much longer, the dates would flow into the next line.

Rob - thanks for the confirmation; I actually tried to use some HTML codes (like for centering & paragraph) but they became a part of the 'personal text' - Dave  ::)

George

Quote from: George on June 14, 2007, 09:04:03 AM
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

Just tried it.

No, it doesn't work.  :)

karlhenning

. . . if Richard Wagner's name was much longer . . . .

Ironic, isn't it?  8)

marvinbrown

Hello everyone, I would like to thank everyone for responding.  Thank you for explaining how this all works.  Maybe I'll have better luck with Giaccomo Puccini ?? (did I spell that right?)

marvin

marvinbrown

Quote from: karlhenning on June 14, 2007, 09:09:45 AM
Ironic, isn't it?  8)

Karl you are remarkably witty and incorrigible :)!!

marvin

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Mark on June 14, 2007, 08:59:40 AM

No - the system strips the excess spaces.

You could do something like this: "~ ~ Richard Wagner ~ ~" to pad it out a bit, and experiment until the dates flow onto the next line.

Otherwise, how about something completely different, such as some Personal Text?

:D

Rob

uffeviking

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 14, 2007, 11:22:26 AM

Hello everyone, I would like to thank everyone for responding.  Thank you for explaining how this all works.  Maybe I'll have better luck with Giaccomo Puccini ?? (did I spell that right?)

marvin

Close, only a few more assorted letters; I have trouble too getting all of them in: Gioachino;)

Lilas Pastia

I think I got it (after many attempts)  ::)

Georgia on my mind

Now, I hope I can remember it next time.... ;D

Maciek

You did it, Lilas! Congratulations! :D

Solitary Wanderer

Sorry I've read this entire thread but I can't see how to change the size of an image being linked from the internet. Its not covered in the Help pages. I think Don talked about it on page 1 but I couldn't understand it.

If you're posting an [i m g] or an image linked from the internet how can you control its size?

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

George

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on October 22, 2007, 03:25:31 PM
Sorry I've read this entire thread but I can't see how to change the size of an image being linked from the internet. Its not covered in the Help pages. I think Don talked about it on page 1 but I couldn't understand it.

If you're posting an [i m g] or an image linked from the internet how can you control its size?

This is the format:

[image height=200 width=200] [/image]

Though instead of image put "img."

Solitary Wanderer

Thanks George, I'll try it shortly  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

DavidW

Gentlemen,

to post code without it working as code simply use the code tag.

For example

[img]
:)

karlhenning

Solitary Wanderer