Flem fatale: Jef van Hoof (1886-1959)

Started by Scion7, September 19, 2020, 04:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

In the dim and distant past, Dundonnell posted -

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 14, 2008, 07:28:56 AM
I have the Marco Polo Romantic Symphonic Music by Flemish Composers Vol.II: . . . and van Hoof's Symphony No.2.

... so, why not?  Here we begin our SPRITEly tale ...

-Belgian composer, born and died in Antwerp
-1916 followed father's footsteps as church organist at St Michiel
-promoted Flemish nationalism
-imprisoned for 8 months after WW I for suspicion of sympathizing with the German (enemy)
-1933 he founded pro-Belgian Flemish National Song Festival
-1936 was an instructor at the Royal Flemish Conservatory and for two years during WW II was its director
-influenced by Peter Benoit, later achieving a high degree of technical virtuosity, especially for his works for brass
-became a pioneer in the field of music forcarillon and brass

Instrumental:
Perseus, overture., 1908;
Landelijke stemming, 1910;
Willem de Zwijger, overture., 1910;
Divertimento for Trombony & Orchestra
Sym. Suite no.1, 1918; 
Sinfonietta, brass ensemble, 1932;
Sym. no.1, 1938;
Sym. no.2, 1941;
Sym. no.3, 1944–5;
Sym. no.4, 1951;
Sym. Suite no.2, 1952;
Sym. no.5, 1956;
Sym. no.6, 1958 [inc.];
Concertino In C For Viola And Orchestra

Nietigheden, str qt, 1922;
Praeludium quasi una fantasia & Sonata, for carillong
Procession for Brass Ensemble & Percussion
works for pf, carillon, org, chbr ens

Stage:
Tycho-Brahé (op, H. Baccaert), 1911;
Meivuur (landelijk zangspel, P. De Mont), 1916, Antwerp, Koninklijke Vlaamse Opera, 12 Jan 1924;
Vertraagde film (incid music, 2, H. Teirlinck), 1922, NIR (Radio Antwerp), 26 Feb 1937;
Jonker Lichthart (comical-dramatical op, 1, E. Denhaene), 1928, Antwerp, Koninklijke Vlaamse Opera, 11 Nov 1961

Vocal:
Groeninge (song, G. Gezelle), SATB, ww and brass band, 11 July 1909;
Missa 'De Deo', SATB, brass ens, 1937;
Missa 'De Beata', SATB, orch, 1948;
TeD, SATB, brass ens, 1949;
patriotic and other secular songs, choral works

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

[asin]B004WLN03M[/asin]

[asin]B000L43QNI[/asin]

[asin]B000004CUJ[/asin]

and several others available on Amazon
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Scion7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAoK03yR0Sc

Preludium quasi una fantasia

I don't think I've ever seen this instrument played before.
Interesting - but not good for a headache.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on September 19, 2020, 04:11:44 PM

I have this CD which I recall enjoying very much.
Especially Meulemans (not to be confused with Belgian footballer Ceulemans).
'Pliny's Fountain' is a lovely, poetic work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Apart from the afore mentioned Flemish Music CD there was another disc on the short lived bargain Discovery label which had another collection of Belgium music collectively called "Salva Antverpia" and Van Hoof's First Symphonic Suite was on it.....

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 20, 2020, 07:16:09 AM
Apart from the afore mentioned Flemish Music CD there was another disc on the short lived bargain Discovery label which had another collection of Belgium music collectively called "Salva Antverpia" and Van Hoof's First Symphonic Suite was on it.....

I made some nice discoveries (no pun intended) on that old Discovery label.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Two more:

The symphonies 1, 2 and 4 are particularly endearing, well-crafted and entertaining works with a certain Straussian touch. The recording of the 6th is very odd: the last movement just lasts a few seconds and ends quite abruptly. No wonder van Hood left it unfinished.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky