Author Topic: Julius Eastman (1940-1990)  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Julius Eastman (1940-1990)
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 02:50:52 AM »
Big recommendation for the Femenine released this year, from a band called Wild Up. It’s the only one I know where I’ve felt I wanted to stay with it to the end.

https://wildup.bandcamp.com/album/julius-eastman-vol-1-femenine
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 04:25:10 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing this new Femenine, and the reviews only confirm your comments. Here's a piece from Alex Ross from July:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/07/12/julius-eastmans-florid-minimalism

Meanwhile, Wigmore Hall has reposted this concert from last year, with Apartment House in Femenine and Joy Boy. (No idea how long it will be up.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFYuzU30ijE

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 04:37:57 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing this new Femenine, and the reviews only confirm your comments. Here's a piece from Alex Ross from July:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/07/12/julius-eastmans-florid-minimalism

Meanwhile, Wigmore Hall has reposted this concert from last year, with Apartment House in Femenine and Joy Boy. (No idea how long it will be up.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFYuzU30ijE

--Bruce

Not keen on Apartment House, they make Eastman sound like an English gentleman.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 05:35:31 AM »

Ah, so the Wild Up version is a bit more...uninhibited? (That's the impression left by Alex Ross.)

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 06:58:40 AM »
Ah, so the Wild Up version is a bit more...uninhibited? (That's the impression left by Alex Ross.)

--Bruce

What I want to say, though you may think this is a bit adolescent and in my defence I’ve just drunk half a bottle of chianti, is that Apartment House is gay - modelled on conventional establishment ideas of how music should sound. On the other hand, Wild Up is queer - a radical alternative to conventional ideas.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2021, 03:28:33 PM »
What I want to say, though you may think this is a bit adolescent and in my defence I’ve just drunk half a bottle of chianti, is that Apartment House is gay - modelled on conventional establishment ideas of how music should sound. On the other hand, Wild Up is queer - a radical alternative to conventional ideas.

Ah, thanks. (No adolescent accusations will come from me!)

That distinction resonates, especially knowing composers and musicians who identify as one or the other.

--Bruce

~Iannis Xenakis

Offline not edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 04:32:30 AM »
Having struggled with the piece before hearing this reading, I think this is an entirely fair assessment. To make a similar analogy, Wild Up's performance is both a party and a riot, and thus entirely inline with Eastman's sensibilities.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Offline Iota

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »
I've never really found JE's music particularly engaging. I went to a lecture/public discussion of his music a few years ago at the ICA in London with a friend who's very keen on his music, which failed to ignite anything for me. But recently listened again to Gay Guerrilla and got a little more from it, so look forward to checking out that new recording of Femenine to see what comes of it.

Offline Iota

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 08:18:58 AM »

Certainly agree with you that for as far as their Bandcamp sample goes, Wild Up sound a deal more interesting than Apartment House.