travel music ...

Started by Scion7, September 22, 2020, 03:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

I had to drive 5 hours in the eastern United States today - on the way south, Bernard Herrmann's "Fantasy Films" album, which have the appx. 15 minute suites each of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Farenheit 451, then moved over to Mahler's 5th.
Backtracking north, it was the Phantasie Concertante by Pejacevic, and Mahler's 9th.   :-)

Anyone doing any treks recently?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on September 22, 2020, 03:37:18 PM
I had to drive 5 hours in the eastern United States today - on the way south, Bernard Herrmann's "Fantasy Films" album, which have the appx. 15 minute suites each of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Farenheit 451, then moved over to Mahler's 5th.
Backtracking north, it was the Phantasie Concertante by Pejacevic, and Mahler's 9th.   :-)

Anyone doing any treks recently?
Nice listening choices! I love those Herrmann albums. I only have an 8 minute drive to work but I've managed to listen to Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' and Stevenson's 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' on CD whilst going back and forward in my car.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).