Pancho Vladigerov

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, September 24, 2020, 07:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 07, 2020, 06:50:12 PM
The set sounds very good! Colorful and picturesque.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lM8svv3T_Q_fFv2OMeTWBNg5f7EvQ6DkY

Thanks for the link. Both symphonies last more than 40 minutes each, so there should be fantastic music to ravish the ear, I hope.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Just listening to the epic First Symphony (1939) now. What a work! Just my cup of tea. Poetic/lugubrious/searching/hopeful. One of my discoveries of 2020. This means more to me than the other two discs, good as they are, that I have of Vladigerov's music. The last movement opens with a kind of Rachmaninov-like looming sense of catastrophe, which is right up my street.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Very good, Jeffrey. Definitely sounds like my cup of tea too!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 08, 2020, 07:25:39 PM
Very good, Jeffrey. Definitely sounds like my cup of tea too!
Oh, I think so Cesar. I listened to it again, with much pleasure, this morning.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2020, 08:41:15 AM
Just listening to the epic First Symphony (1939) now. What a work! Just my cup of tea. Poetic/lugubrious/searching/hopeful. One of my discoveries of 2020. This means more to me than the other two discs, good as they are, that I have of Vladigerov's music. The last movement opens with a kind of Rachmaninov-like looming sense of catastrophe, which is right up my street.

Well-said Jeffrey!
While the S1 is exceptional, the entire set presents the music vivid, noble, and unique. As for the S1, yes the finale is great while the 3rd mvt is excellent as well.
I imagine that the Vol. 2 is coming later, very possibly next year!!
There is another album by the same orchestra, and I think it is worth listening to. The picture is attached and the YT link is below for your examination at your convenience.  Also, it seems to me that the CPO album mentioned on the previous page is (virtually) impeccable.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nPpvVldgKpo1E0ADsCBwC2CnnRnu3oXHc

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 09, 2020, 06:17:56 AM

Well-said Jeffrey!
While the S1 is exceptional, the entire set presents the music vivid, noble, and unique. As for the S1, yes the finale is great while the 3rd mvt is excellent as well.
I imagine that the Vol. 2 is coming later, very possibly next year!!
There is another album by the same orchestra, and I think it is worth listening to. The picture is attached and the YT link is below for your examination at your convenience.  Also, it seems to me that the CPO album mentioned on the previous page is (virtually) impeccable.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nPpvVldgKpo1E0ADsCBwC2CnnRnu3oXHc
Many thanks DBK. I haven't got beyond the First Symphony yet as I keep replaying it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Vol. 3 will be released on February 5.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8865991--vladigerov-string-concertos

The note on the Presto site is mixed up. Otherwise, it must be Presto's genius/innovative marketing strategy for Catoire's music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Symphonic Addict

Looks superb! Thanks for the info, Manabu!

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Roy Bland

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roy Bland on April 05, 2022, 06:48:33 AM

IMHO they can't reissue

Roy, thank you for the info about these likable works.
I listened to both the No. 1 and No.2 via Youtube, and I found them very charming and glowing.
Still I found them substantially different from his other orchestral works, so they are very interesting.
Thank you for your post!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lmMJoOtIVs3GXVj6JAbCfbYt3AhblrRUM

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kWFMJ_o4wFkMgcKCVO3NFX5VQ95a2sbdM

vandermolen

Just sampled the 'Jewish Poem' which sounds v powerful, eloquent and moving.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on April 08, 2022, 05:47:48 AM

+1. Solid composition.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on April 08, 2022, 05:47:48 AM

One of the highlights of this new volume of his orchestral works. I'm enjoying it so much.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 08, 2022, 01:13:29 PM
One of the highlights of this new volume of his orchestral works. I'm enjoying it so much.
Thanks Cesar (and Manabu).
I suspect that this CD set will be coming my way soon!
:)