Ivry Gitlis, the extremely talented violinist, passed away aged 98 (1922-2020)

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, December 25, 2020, 03:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Just read this morning that Ivry Gitlis, the celebrated Israeli virtuoso died.  RIP Mr. Gitlis.

I would be interested to hear what your favorite recordings with him are and whether or not any of our members have seen him perform before?

PD

p.s.  As for myself, I don't have many recordings by him, but I do have and enjoy some of his Bartok recordings.
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 25, 2020, 03:00:01 AM
Just read this morning that Ivry Gitlis, the celebrated Israeli virtuoso died.  RIP Mr. Gitlis.

I would be interested to hear what your favorite recordings with him are and whether or not any of our members have seen him perform before?

PD

p.s.  As for myself, I don't have many recordings by him, but I do have and enjoy some of his Bartok recordings.

PD, Gitlis must have enjoyed a very long life indeed and thanks for passing on the news. A supremely gifted violinist who never achieved the attention he deserved due not to be taken up by a major label. I have the Bartok VC recording too.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

He spent some time at the end of the last century giving concerts with Argerich - I have quite a few recordings but the style is too flash and flamboyant for me now.. I also have a solo concert recording with the inevitable Bach chaconne and the Bartok, but it's no longer my cup of tea, I don't think it's commercial. Anyone who wants it is more then welcome.

And I just noticed a Bartok 2 pianos and percussion sonata on my hard drive, it seems to be part of a recital with Rosbaud. I don't know if I've ever heard it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

pjme

Gitlis was an exceptional human being and a very versatile artist : Bach, Xenakis, Maderna, Vivaldi, Hindemith, Bartok, Grappelli ... he played it all. A flamboyant, rare character.

https://www.youtube.com/v/k39nwJ7lomk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on December 25, 2020, 06:04:39 AM
Gitlis was an exceptional human being and a very versatile artist : Bach, Xenakis, Maderna, Vivaldi, Hindemith, Bartok, Grappelli ... he played it all. A flamboyant, rare character.

https://www.youtube.com/v/k39nwJ7lomk
Sweet!   :)

I ran across this interview on Norman Lebrecht's Slipped Disc blog.  It's an article that Steven Isserlis wrote about Ivry Gitlis with whom he was friends:  https://slippedisc.com/2020/12/steven-isserlis-the-playful-life-of-ivry-gitlis/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

CRCulver

Not just a great violinist, but also a fine actor: in Truffaut's L'histoire d'Adèle H. one would never guess that his day job was something other than acting.

springrite

The last of the great ones.
With the passing of Camilla Wicks and now Gitlis, the end of an era.

My favorite recording by him is one that I only had on LP and it is hardly playable now -- Berg Chamber Concerto for Violin Piano and 13 Winds.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

MusicTurner

I'm a fan too, some didn't like his tone that much, but I enjoy the gypsy-like expressivenes and the at times creative approach, such as in the phenomenal Debussy violin sonata with Argerich (that might be quite 'freestyle' compared to the composer's intentions).

The 3CD Gitlis box from Brilliant, mainly with concertos, would be absolutely essential even for a very, very small classical collection of mine too.