Author Topic: Despair in music?  (Read 4301 times)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Re: Despair in music?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 09:05:08 AM »
A detached despair, or a despairing detachment... Quite the oxymoron, honestly.  :)

I see no contradiction. The definition of dispair is a "complete loss or absence of hope." That would naturally manifest itself as a detachment from the world.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »
Here's a medieval interpretation of despair

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OuK55mm73kY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OuK55mm73kY</a>

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:18 AM »
I see no contradiction. The definition of dispair is a "complete loss or absence of hope." That would naturally manifest itself as a detachment from the world.

Naturally? Hmmmm.... Have you ever felt a complete loss or absence of hope?
"Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part."
 --- Claude Debussy

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »
Naturally? Hmmmm.... Have you ever felt a complete loss or absence of hope?

Yes, but that is not a topic for this web site.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
Yes, but that is not a topic for this web site.

Agreed, it's too personal and intimate a matter toi be discussed publicly. I might have overstepped a red line, in which case I sincerely apologize.
"Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part."
 --- Claude Debussy

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
Agreed, it's too personal and intimate a matter toi be discussed publicly. I might have overstepped a red line, in which case I sincerely apologize.

Not a problem.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 10:11:54 AM »
 --- Claude Debussy

Offline Ten thumbs

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2020, 04:25:07 AM »
I have recently been playing once more a piano piece that seems to epitomise despair (and also loneliness). Do not complain of overblown romanticism, this is bare bones music: Heller, Op.128 no.4, Einsame Blume. It is marked 'Sehr langsam' and begins with a bare melody, continually rising only to fall again; this is repeated with variation and is followed by rising phrases, each higher than the previous and each terminating in a dissonance. The music then drops to a repeat of the melody, now with minimal accompaniments after which the rising phrases re-occur, this time dropping from a high climactic note and a return is made almost reluctantly (despair indeed) to the opening bare melody leading to two bleak final chords.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.