Pianist Eric Parkin 1924-2020

Started by pjme, October 28, 2020, 02:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

The English pianist Eric Parkin, much favoured by the BBC for his championship of British composers, has died at a great age. From his radio debut in 1948 to his very late years he was hardly ever off the radio, whether in studio, at the Proms or with his highly successful recordings on the Chandos label.

Parkin, who came from Stevenage in Hertfordshire, won renown as the leading champion of the music of John Ireland. He also played works by Arnold Bax, Geoffrey Bush, Peter Dickinson, David Gow, Kenneth Leighton, E J Moeran and Richard Stoker.

Eric Parkin's musical sympathies were wide, ranging from J.S. Bach through the Classical and Romantic repertoire to much 20th century repertoire. He had a great affection for French and American music and was increasingly recording this. A number of English composers have either written for him or asked for first performances, including Geoffrey Bush, Peter Dickinson, David Gow, Kenneth Leighton and Richard Stoker.

Source: Slipped disc & https://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Parkin-Eric.htm

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZQ5z9pZpIfU

https://www.youtube.com/v/00QTmJR41Sw

Arnold Cooke - pianoconcerto 1940 : https://youtu.be/V3TbBFROofQ

vers la flamme

Damn, rest in peace; I have his complete Poulenc set which is quite good. I had no idea he was in his late 90s.

vandermolen

A sad loss: RIP

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

I was just listening to him playing Bax Piano Sonatas in the car earlier this morning.

R.I.P.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

A trusted guide for much music......

springrite

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 29, 2020, 11:00:50 AM
A trusted guide for much music......
Indeed. I got to know so much of the neglected repertoire (and sometimes composers) because of him.

Scion7

These two off top of my head - may have more.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

springrite

John Ireland, Arnold Bax, Billy Mayerl, Dyson, Roussel, Delius, Baines, Moeran, Chaminade...

vandermolen

Playing the Legend in memoriam now. As I live near the South Downs and walk there often this music has special connotations for me.

Here's Harrow Hill on the South Downs - an area which inspired the 'Legend' (photo from Internet):

Florestan

He recorded Ireland's complete piano music twice, once for Lyrita and once for Chandos and the two versions are slightly different, go figure!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on October 30, 2020, 04:53:29 AM
He recorded Ireland's complete piano music twice, once for Lyrita and once for Chandos and the two versions are slightly different, go figure!

In one area they are different. The piano at Parkin's disposal for Chandos has a far better rounded sound then the one for Lyrita.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.