soprano Rosanna Carteri - R.I.P.

Started by Scion7, October 27, 2020, 12:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

(14 December 1930 – 25 October 2020) - aged 89

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Pohjolas Daughter

Not familiar with her recordings/performances.  Which of hers are your favorites?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

She sings the soprano part in the first recording of Poulenc's Gloria .

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on November 23, 2020, 12:30:55 PM
She sings the soprano part in the first recording of Poulenc's Gloria .

Will dig through my LPs a bit later (working on morning tea at the moment); that Poulenc cover looks awfully familiar.   :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Take your time.
When I read her obituary, I remembered her name and that Lp was probably one of the first I ever bought- at least 45 odd years ago.
These two works, together with the sonata for two pianos, the Concert Champêtre and the Suite Française , were my introduction to Poulenc's world.
Peter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on November 24, 2020, 04:35:40 AM
Take your time.
When I read her obituary, I remembered her name and that Lp was probably one of the first I ever bought- at least 45 odd years ago.
These two works, together with the sonata for two pianos, the Concert Champêtre and the Suite Française , were my introduction to Poulenc's world.
Peter
Aha!  I was wrong about the LP (unless I put it in my organ section, but I doubt that), BUT I do have a recording with her on CD.  This one: 

;D

PD

p.s.  I'm pretty certain that this was also my first intro to Poulenc, but on cassette.
Pohjolas Daughter

bergonzi

Carteri was a faboulous singer, really skilled and with great vocal abilities; also she was so beutiful woman and good actress (you can watch her great Desdemona with del Monaco and a superb Capecchi as Jago in 1958 Rai broadcasted on YouTube available). Her Traviata with Monteux and Valletti is magnificent! Morever she was a wonderful soprano lirico leggero with possibility of coloratura and excellent high notes, not just notes but with carisma! The Poulenc recording is also a great proof of her singing so nice and tehnically magnificent. Splendid Serpina in Pergolesi Serva padrona and wonderful Liu' in Turandot. She stopped very early to dedicate herself to her 2 children, no other reasons. Besides Callas and Tebaldi there were a lot of fantastic sopranos like her or Cerquetti or Tucci or others like Moffo that today would have been stars absolutely for their vocal qualities.