Osian Ellis, harpist passes away at age 92.

Started by pjme, January 17, 2021, 01:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

https://nation.cymru/culture/tributes-to-welsh-harp-legend-osian-ellis-who-passed-away-aged-92/

Ellis was Professor of the Harp at the Royal Academy of Music. For many years he was the Principal Harpist with the London Symphony Orchestra.
Osian Ellis was not only a harp teacher, composer, arranger, penillion singer and scholar, he contributed also widely to the nation's traditional music as well as to developments in the European classical music of his day.

"He encouraged many contemporary composers from Wales and farther afield to write new works for harp – including William Mathias, Alun Hoddinott, Rhian Samuel, David Wynne, Malcolm Arnold, Robin Holloway, Elizabeth Machonchy, William Alwyn, Carlo Menotti and Jorgen Jersild.

"As a scholar, he published several seminal works on the history of the harp in Wales and he contributed to a myriad of television and radio programmes in Wales and London."
In 1960 he met Benjamin Britten with whom he had a long association.

https://www.youtube.com/v/KcxVfDH5PjQ
https://www.youtube.com/v/elHA8sPmHM4

Mirror Image

A real shame. I've always loved his playing. This recording he did of Alwyn's Lyra Angelica is particularly noteworthy. I also like the recording he did with David Willcocks of Britten's Ceremony of Carols. RIP, Mr. Ellis.

Irons

A legendary recording which would be first on my desert island list.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

pjme

:)
Indeed, a great recording and lovely music.

Now as a cd

vandermolen

Sad news but a long and accomplished life. His IMO was the best performance of Alwyn's eloquent and poetic 'Lyra Angelica':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

knight66

Britten wrote the harp part in the Ceremony of Carols for him. He is on the Willcocks version and one from Vienna.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Irons

Quote from: pjme on January 18, 2021, 12:34:06 AM
:)
Indeed, a great recording and lovely music.

Now as a cd

So good they recorded it twice (Ravel)! Again with Osian Ellis.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2021, 10:50:21 PM
Osian Ellis

A fine picture. Although owning a few records I had no idea of what he looked like.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 20, 2021, 12:17:55 AM
A fine picture. Although owning a few records I had no idea of what he looked like.
Nor me Lol!
Although because of his first name I always assumed that he must have long white hair like the central character (also a harpist I think) in Ingres's painting of 'Ossian's Dream':

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 20, 2021, 06:30:12 AM
Nor me Lol!
Although because of his first name I always assumed that he must have long white hair like the central character (also a harpist I think) in Ingres's painting of 'Ossian's Dream':

Great painting, Jeffrey. Although not exactly "sweet" dreams. :o

Only one winner in the long white hair stakes.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 20, 2021, 07:44:29 AM
Great painting, Jeffrey. Although not exactly "sweet" dreams. :o

Only one winner in the long white hair stakes.
Ah yes, Margaret Rutherford  ;D

Irons

pjme

"Only one winner in the long white hair stakes."

Then Celibidache gets the ...silver trophy.