Halloween 2020! What Classical pieces do you have queued up?

Started by Scion7, October 31, 2020, 12:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

André

I caught CBC Radio 3 in the car, with the following playlist:

- Don Giovanni, the banquet with the stone guest scene. Fricsay, DG
- Siegfried, Act 3 scene 2 (unless it's vice versa), the slaying of the dragon. Kurt Böhme singing in a bullhorn with Solti. Creepy as hell.
- Gnomus from Mussorgsky's Pictures. Sviatoslav Richter.
- The Mask of the Red Death by André Caplet. Georges Prêtre. Didn't know this piece. Eerie and screechy.

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

André

I just found out I have the Caplet piece. Except it's called 'Conte fantastique'. Also, the version I have is for string quartet and harp. The Prêtre disc I heard was for string orchestra and harp. I must try to find it.

Scion7

Yes, I think the original composition was a chamber piece, later orchestrated.
Slatkin has a version that he conducted up on YouTube.

André

Thanks for the tip. I see that the Prêtre version too is on YT. I will check both.

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

André

I never tire from Malcolm Arnold's Tam O'Shanter. The Paul Daniel version is a favourite, with spookiness galore. The encounter with Old Nick is terrific !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsqs2yjx6U

André Le Nôtre

Ravel, Gaspard (piano, as originally written, no transcriptions for guitar! or orchestra!) played by Walter Gieseking.

Scion7

Mirror Image

I usually listen to Scelsi and Penderecki on Halloween. This usually does the trick.

André

relm1

relm1