Not all it's cracked up to be

Started by Madiel, November 04, 2020, 02:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2020, 02:36:27 PM
???

Not least because the question of what the USA might have been in the 1940s is not remotely relevant to the question of what the USA is now. Get over it.

I explicitly said let's not derail the thread any further, and you decide you want to continue discussing how the USA has saved the world? I'm not interested. Not least because I'm not interested in discussing past glories when the issue is whether the USA has fucked itself massively in far more recent history. American politics is not the same now as it was in the 1940s. American gun culture is not the same now as it was in the 1940s. American healthcare is not the same now as it was in the 1940s.

So no, we are not discussing how wonderful America is, because most of that discussion will be the equivalent of Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard dreaming of past glories. And a thread named "bug report" is not remotely the right place to do it anyway, and I'll be damned if I'm setting foot in the American politics thread.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Let's take this elsewhere, shall we guys? I'm going to delete this whole end of the thread in a few short minutes, only because it is so off topic. Not like I disagree with the sentiments expressed.

GB
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on November 05, 2020, 02:40:57 PM
you decide you want to continue discussing how the USA has saved the world?

The USA has saved the world, there's no discussion about it --- and this is going to be my last post on this topic.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 05, 2020, 02:41:17 PM
Let's take this elsewhere, shall we guys? I'm going to delete this whole end of the thread in a few short minutes, only because it is so off topic. Not like I disagree with the sentiments expressed.

GB

You didn't delete it. You moved it.

Which means it is now going to pop up in my list of new replies.

Also, how is the rule about American politics all being in one place going to apply? I do not want to get involved in the American politics thread by proxy.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2020, 02:49:36 PM
The USA has saved the world, there's no discussion about it

Good, because it was so many decades ago that most of the people involved are dead.

Quote--- and this is going to be my last post on this topic.

Hooray.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on November 05, 2020, 02:54:42 PM
Good, because it was so many decades ago that most of the people involved are dead.

So many decades later, most of the Australian and Finnish people alive today still benefit from it.

Hooray.

You should have known me better.  ;D

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2020, 03:01:38 PM
So many decades later, most of the Australian and Finnish people alive today still benefit from it.

I also benefit from huge technological innovations in Scotland in the 19th century. You're missing the point utterly.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Madiel on November 05, 2020, 02:51:29 PM
You didn't delete it. You moved it.

Which means it is now going to pop up in my list of new replies.

Also, how is the rule about American politics all being in one place going to apply? I do not want to get involved in the American politics thread by proxy.

Talk about America is not necessarily talk about politics, I would like to think we are a little broader than that. If it turns into discussion of current politics, it will leave too.

gB
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 05, 2020, 03:07:39 PM
Talk about America is not necessarily talk about politics, I would like to think we are a little broader than that. If it turns into discussion of current politics, it will leave too.

gB

Okay.

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on November 05, 2020, 06:35:55 AM
He can not help himself for being what he is, and feeling as he does. I for one accepted what he is, and why he has such trouble with himself and the rest of the world. I think instead of admonishing him we rather should show compassion for what befalls him. His life must be a heavy burden to carry.

Sensible and compassionate.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2020, 11:41:53 AM
I'm really glad to hear that. You should try to show us your positive moods more than your negative ones.  ;)

Positivity is not controversal and therefor doesn't lead to arguments. Positivity is "over" fast. Nobody reacts. However, I'll mention something that made me quite happy recently:

They are building a MASSIVE supercomputer "LUMI" (Large Unified Modern Infrastructure, but also means "snow" in Finnish) in Kajaani, Finland. It will start operating mid 2021. It will be a 552 petaflops machine! Currently the most powerful supercomputer in the World is "Fukagu" in Japan (512 petaflops) followed by "Summit" in the USA (200 petaflops). LUMI will be one of the most powerful supercomputers in the World when it starts operation. It's an EU project financed by 10 Europen countries (Finland, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Iceland, Norway, Poland, Sweden and Switzerland). The electricity for LUMI will be clean water power and the heat generated will be collected and used to warm partly the city of Kajaani. So, it will be a super-ecological supercomputer.  :)

https://www.goodnewsfinland.com/world-leading-supercomputer-lumi-to-be-built-in-finland/

This news made me smile. Currently the most powerful supercomputer in Finland (Mahti, 7.5 petaflops) is at place 47 in the world.

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2020, 11:41:53 AMAs for the ugliness and the chaos of the world, that's  exactly why we need classical music (and arts in general): to restore beauty and order in our lives. My response to what's happening in the world is not less Mozart, Schubert or Chopin, but more; yours shouldn't be less Elgar, Dittersdorf or Buxtehude, but more.

Ironically I feel the less chaos and ugliness in the World, the better I can enjoy classical music and other arts, but yes, music and art can definitely help.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Herman

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2020, 12:54:20 PM
Fucked up as it is, USA is still a place that millions of people are desperately trying to reach in the hope of living there a better life than anything they could ever have in their own fucked up countries. Just saying.

Same goes for the EU. The unique desirability of the US is a myth often used by US rightwingers to say "we don't need to change anything, poor people love us just the way we are!".

Herman

He can not help himself for being what he is, and feeling as he does. I for one accepted what he is, and why he has such trouble with himself and the rest of the world. I think instead of admonishing him we rather should show compassion for what befalls him. His life must be a heavy burden to carry.

I agree with most of this.

Also there is no requirement to read everything and / or respond.

Florestan

Quote from: Herman on November 05, 2020, 06:32:38 PM
Same goes for the EU.

Of course. EU too is fucked up in many ways yet it's a far better place than the countries immigrants come from.

vandermolen

+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).