Alex Trebek (1940 - 2020)

Started by Mirror Image, November 08, 2020, 04:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

What can I say other than 2020 has been one of the worst years of my life (and I'm sure for many of you as well). We lost so many great people, but the passing of Alex Trebek came as not so much of a shock given his own diagnosis, but it still is terrible to hear about. Jeopardy was one of the great game shows because it wasn't a bunch of people onstage hooting and hollering. This game actually required intelligent contestants who needed to know about many subjects from geography to European history to 18th Century inventors or else they'd be left in the dust. Jeopardy will not be the same without Trebek and I'm sure many others feel the same way. RIP, Mr. Trebek.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2020, 04:21:58 PM
What can I say other than 2020 has been one of the worst years of my life (and I'm sure for many of you as well). We lost so many great people, but the passing of Alex Trebek came as not so much of a shock given his own diagnosis, but it still is terrible to hear about. Jeopardy was one of the great game shows because it wasn't a bunch of people onstage hooting and hollering. This game actually required intelligent contestants who needed to know about many subjects from geography to European history to 18th Century inventors or else they'd be left in the dust. Jeopardy will not be the same with Trebek and I'm sure many others feel the same way. RIP, Mr. Trebek.

Good points, MI. I ate dinner with Alex for 30 years, and was amused by the quality of the questions, and his style in the presentation (he never mispronounced a word, no matter the language) and his wit dealing with the contestants. Dinnertime will never be the same, not even if (as I suspect will happen) the GOAT player, Ken Jennings, takes over. So it goes, RIP, Trebek!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

springrite

I was one question away from being entered into the show as a contestant.

Not knowing much about the Bible doomed me that day.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 08, 2020, 04:27:29 PM
Good points, MI. I ate dinner with Alex for 30 years, and was amused by the quality of the questions, and his style in the presentation (he never mispronounced a word, no matter the language) and his wit dealing with the contestants. Dinnertime will never be the same, not even if (as I suspect will happen) the GOAT player, Ken Jennings, takes over. So it goes, RIP, Trebek!

8)

Alex has accompanied dinnertime for my family as well. He was a remarkable host and showed much humility throughout the years, especially as his own health was declining. Yeah, it's not going to be the same with Ken Jennings (if this happens, which I might --- we'll see). I'm not really big fan of his to begin with (I'm more of a James Holzhauer fan). Anyway, a huge loss for anyone who has followed this game show and likes the kind of rigorous intellectualism it promotes.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on November 08, 2020, 04:35:14 PM
I was one question away from being entered into the show as a contestant.

Not knowing much about the Bible doomed me that day.

Cool, Paul. I'd love to have seen you on there. I bet you would've done well.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2020, 05:20:30 PM
Cool, Paul. I'd love to have seen you on there. I bet you would've done well.
Well, if I get on, it's really about luck. I either clean up the category or I know nothing about it. It would have been fun.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on November 08, 2020, 05:24:08 PM
Well, if I get on, it's really about luck. I either clean up the category or I know nothing about it. It would have been fun.

Yes, you could've told Alex about your addiction to classical music.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Yes, that show was quite special.  So nice to have a show which engaged your brain and had a wonderful, intelligent, kind and witty host.  So sorry to hear that he lost his battle with cancer.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dowder on November 11, 2020, 04:34:34 PM
He was truly one of a kind. Hard to imagine the show without him.

Absolutely agreed.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2020, 06:14:26 AM
Yes, that show was quite special.  So nice to have a show which engaged your brain and had a wonderful, intelligent, kind and witty host.  So sorry to hear that he lost his battle with cancer.

PD

I thought he was doing well, but it turned out this wasn't the case. His courage and dedication to continue to press on was truly admirable.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2020, 02:20:40 PM
I thought he was doing well, but it turned out this wasn't the case. His courage and dedication to continue to press on was truly admirable.

Actually, he did very well. Generally, people with pancreatic cancer are lucky to make it 6 months. He was viable for over 2 years, which is an impressively long time, much further than I gave him when I heard the announcement. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 12, 2020, 02:24:46 PM
Actually, he did very well. Generally, people with pancreatic cancer are lucky to make it 6 months. He was viable for over 2 years, which is an impressively long time, much further than I gave him when I heard the announcement. :)

8)

Yes, this is true. Both of my parents were astonished he lived as long as he did, but, as with anything of this nature, it's still disappointing to hear about the passing of someone like Trebek. I used to watch Trebek a lot when I stayed with my grandmother. She loved Jeopardy and I learned to love it as well. It was so different than any of the game shows I had seen previously.

relm1

Since I'm fans of them both and died a week apart, I loved the caricature of Alex Trebek and Sean Connery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwWVb0KhfzM

May you annoy and tease each other forever in the afterlife.  RIP.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on November 12, 2020, 04:45:59 PM
Since I'm fans of them both and died a week apart, I loved the caricature of Alex Trebek and Sean Connery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwWVb0KhfzM

May you annoy and tease each other forever in the afterlife.  RIP.

Great video!  :laugh: