USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

When I looked at the election results of the 2016 election I saw a definite divide between rural and urban America.  Of the fifty most populated cities in the US only seven voted for Trump:
Virginia Beach, VA
Jacksonville, FL
Arlington, TX
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma City, OK
Phoenix and Mesa, AZ (Both in Maricopa County)

In 2020 the divide is even worse.  Only two of the above cities voted for Trump: Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

I am very concerned about this divide in our society.

Florestan

Quote from: arpeggio on November 17, 2020, 06:04:50 AM
When I looked at the election results of the 2016 election I saw a definite divide between rural and urban America.  Of the fifty most populated cities in the US only seven voted for Trump:
Virginia Beach, VA
Jacksonville, FL
Arlington, TX
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma City, OK
Phoenix and Mesa, AZ (Both in Maricopa County)

In 2020 the divide is even worse.  Only two of the above cities voted for Trump: Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

I am very concerned about this divide in our society.

If this is any consolation, the same divide is apparent in Romania, only reversed: big cities and large towns vote mostly right-of-center while small towns and rural areas vote mostly left-of-center. There is also a geographical divide along North-South and West-East lines, in the same sense.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

krummholz

Quote from: milk on November 14, 2020, 06:20:50 AM
And with groups of people who were considered a lock for Democrats. I don't think Dems will get the right message from this, i.e. that it's them who should reboot: dump identity politics and all that mess of applied post-modernism, critical theory, woke politics, etc. The people that broke late in the election broke for Trump. It's pretty scary to me that Trump almost won. I actually like Biden more and more these days but I know what's coming after him and it ain't good.   

At least one member of the Lincoln Project, Stuart Stevens (author of It Was All a Lie), has come all the way out and said basically F. U. to the GOP, that he will work within the Democratic Party to try to wrest control from the Far Left. Before this election I thought he was a fool to abandon the only major party in the country that could be in a position to oppose Leftism. Now I think he has the right idea, or more accurately, the ONLY idea that has a chance. The GOP, with or without Trump, is going to solidify around populist Nationalism. If the Dem Party cannot be returned to its 20th century roots, I'm afraid that we as a country are truly screwed.

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on November 16, 2020, 09:44:53 PM
Sorry, I meant to say Kamala is cynical: using wokeness as a way to generate support and cash while selling out the left's economic agenda to moneyed interests of all sorts.

Equating civil rights with "wokeness" is an error.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: Todd on November 17, 2020, 04:45:31 AM
Your question makes no sense.

I think it does make sense.

Quote from: Todd on November 17, 2020, 04:45:31 AMThe US should withdraw troops from Afghanistan and Iraq.  And Syria.  And all the various African countries where the US operates.  To start.

Yes, I agree with this, but the Republicans and the (corporate) Democrats in general do NOT agree with this. Progressives agree with us. Trump seems to agree with us in this issue. So we can agree with Trump OR the Republicans. Not both.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Quote from: krummholz on November 17, 2020, 07:04:35 AM
At least one member of the Lincoln Project, Stuart Stevens (author of It Was All a Lie), has come all the way out and said basically F. U. to the GOP, that he will work within the Democratic Party to try to wrest control from the Far Left. Before this election I thought he was a fool to abandon the only major party in the country that could be in a position to oppose Leftism. Now I think he has the right idea, or more accurately, the ONLY idea that has a chance. The GOP, with or without Trump, is going to solidify around populist Nationalism. If the Dem Party cannot be returned to its 20th century roots, I'm afraid that we as a country are truly screwed.

The Lincoln Project did a great job of promoting the Lincoln Project. What Dem program should they oppose?

I noticed something interesting among the NeverTrumpers. Once they cut their tribal affiliation they discovered that their reasons to oppose programs Dems favor didn't look so good. It's as though they felt free to make judgments on the basis of merit. It may not last, but I do appreciate the uniqueness of "free radicals" in the politisphere.

Fighting Leftism among the Dems can be safely left to Dems. The Lincoln Project has no role in that.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Who's gonno take Kamala Harris' Senate seat? Gavin Newsom will pick.
Bernie Sanders won the Democratic primary in California showing people over there want leftist social democratic policies.
By far the best pick for this reason is Ro Khanna. This is a huge opportunity for the left.

AlberichUndHagen

Quote from: 71 dB on November 17, 2020, 03:07:06 AM
All of this madness makes me feel Covid-19 is nature's solution to deal with climate change: Kill the ignorant low IQ individuals who think climate change is a Chinese hoax away so mankind can wise up and start dealing with the reality.

Darwinism in motion?

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on November 17, 2020, 09:00:10 AM
Who's gonno take Kamala Harris' Senate seat? Gavin Newsom will pick.
Bernie Sanders won the Democratic primary in California showing people over there want leftist social democratic policies.
By far the best pick for this reason is Ro Khanna. This is a huge opportunity for the left.

BREAKING NEWS: Leftist policies favored in California.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on November 17, 2020, 03:07:06 AM
All of this madness makes me feel Covid-19 is nature's solution to deal with climate change: Kill the ignorant low IQ individuals who think climate change is a Chinese hoax away so mankind can wise up and start dealing with the reality. Too bad we educated more intelligent people (I have believed in climate change for over 30 years) have to also suffer from the situation, but seems like the nature has had it with these fools...  :-\

This is a bad look, friend. COVID does not discriminate on the basis of IQ.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Interestingly, as of right now, you-know-who hasn't tweeted all day. Unusual, given his regular pattern.

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on November 17, 2020, 09:35:40 AM
Interestingly, as of right now, you-know-who hasn't tweeted all day. Unusual, given his regular pattern.

--Bruce
Wow!  Computer problems or arthritis?  :-\
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 17, 2020, 09:39:00 AM
Wow!  Computer problems or arthritis?  :-\

My guess: holed up in the White House and fuming over the state of things.

--Bruce

MusicTurner

Just for the record here, about another day at the office, #45 wanted to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities last Thursday, however top officials including Pence and Pompeo talked him from it

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-considered-attacking-iran-main-nuclear-site-2020-11?r=US&IR=T

71 dB

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on November 17, 2020, 09:40:07 AM
My guess: holed up in the White House and fuming over the state of things.

--Bruce
But isn't that when he likes to tweet the most?  ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 17, 2020, 09:44:08 AM
Just for the record here, about another day at the office, #45 wanted to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities last Thursday, however top officials including Pence and Pompeo talked him from it

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-considered-attacking-iran-main-nuclear-site-2020-11?r=US&IR=T
???  >:(  :(
Pohjolas Daughter