USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Quote from: T. D. on November 18, 2020, 07:06:01 AM
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republicans-won-almost-every-election-where-redistricting-was-at-stake/

Joe Biden may have won the White House, but down-ballot races were much better for Republicans. In fact, the GOP's victories in state-level elections could pay dividends long after Biden leaves office, thanks to their influence over next year's redistricting process.

Every 10 years, after the census, congressional and state legislature districts are redrawn to account for population changes. This gives whoever is drawing the maps the power to maximize the number of districts that favor their party — a tactic known as gerrymandering. And as we wrote last month, the 2020 election represented the last chance for voters to weigh in on who would draw those maps. Both parties went into the election with a chance to draw more congressional districts than the other, but the end result was just about the best-case scenario for Republicans. As the map below shows, Republicans are set to control the redistricting of 188 congressional seats — or 43 percent of the entire House of Representatives. By contrast, Democrats will control the redistricting of, at most, 73 seats, or 17 percent.

Yes, with apologies to our Poju, the discussion on this podcast underscores how the Democrats have not the least shade of a mandate to lurch left.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Quote from: arpeggio on November 19, 2020, 04:07:35 PM
At one time I would agree with you but the situation has really deteriorated in the United States.

Whenever we visit relatives in North Carolina my wife and I are on pins and needles.  Many of them refer to us as those northern liberals.  My brother is always trying to pick fights with me. 

My brother has alienated both of my sons that they are no longer on speaking terms.  My oldest son is married to a Korean women and my my brother has made snide remarks about my grandchildren.  My youngest sons long time girl friend is Mexican and my brother has made remarks that it is sad that he could not hook up with a nice white girl.  The only reason I tolerate my brothers behavior is because my mother lives with him and I do not want to be cut off from her.

Whenever they try to start something my wife and I start talking about the weather.

It has gotten so bad with my wife that between her sisters, nieces and nephews the only relative my wife still has a good relationship with is her brother.

Very sorry to hear this. If it's any consolation, based on my anecdotal evidence on social media and elsewhere, you have lots of company. I work with a 20-ish woman whose parents support T****. She barely speaks to them. In my own family, I have members who identify as Christian, but their behavior is about as un-Christian as can be imagined. They support T**** eagerly. Despite my making it clear that I would be amenable to conversations about any number of issues, they aren't interested. "It won't make any difference anyway."

--Bruce

Mirror Image

At one time I would agree with you but the situation has really deteriorated in the United States.

Whenever we visit relatives in North Carolina my wife and I are on pins and needles.  Many of them refer to us as those northern liberals.  My brother is always trying to pick fights with me. 

My brother has alienated both of my sons that they are no longer on speaking terms.  My oldest son is married to a Korean women and my my brother has made snide remarks about my grandchildren.  My youngest sons long time girl friend is Mexican and my brother has made remarks that it is sad that he could not hook up with a nice white girl.  The only reason I tolerate my brothers behavior is because my mother lives with him and I do not want to be cut off from her.

Whenever they try to start something my wife and I start talking about the weather.

It has gotten so bad with my wife that between her sisters, nieces and nephews the only relative my wife still has a good relationship with is her brother.

I have a similar situation, but it's not in regard to politics. Basically, it's just my parents and myself. My older brother and sister both have a horrible relationship with my dad. They'll regret not coming to see him one day. My sister wants to make up with my dad, but doesn't even bother coming over to mend the relationship --- actions always speak louder than words. My brother has basically cut himself off from the entire family, but to be honest, I couldn't be happier about that as he's always putting me down with some kind of hurtful, underhanded remark. Like, for example, the tv show Married... with Children was on when he was over one time and we were sitting on the couch watching it. Anyway, I made an innocent remark that Christina Applegate will always be remembered as Kelly Bundy and he looked at me for second and said "Well, you'll always be remembered for nothing." I fluffed it off at the time, but those kinds of comments do cut deep and by him saying this to me, he pretty much told me what he thought about me. After that, I didn't have much to do with him and, quite frankly, I'm over worrying about whether he'll come around and actually act like a decent human being again to me and treat me like his brother. That ship has sailed years ago. The holidays should be a reminder of good times and knowing you have people you can count on, but I don't look at them this way. They're more or less a reminder that my family will never be the same or be what it was when we were all younger. People change, but, unfortunately, they change for all the wrong reasons. If there's anything I'm thankful for, it's my parents. They have shown me nothing but support and have been there for every step of the way, so I, in return, have to return this support to them the best I can.

Anyway, I say forget those people in your life that bring you misery and hardship --- you simply don't need them. Focus on the people who do build you up, not tear you down. You'll be better off in the long-run.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I am so sorry to hear this. But I am not surprised. I see and hear similar things every day in the U.S.A.  Probably these people still live in the value structure before the Civil Rights, and they think that the other people changed and became un-American/un-Christian.

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 19, 2020, 04:33:15 PM
Yes, with apologies to our Poju, the discussion on this podcast underscores how the Democrats have not the least shade of a mandate to lurch left.

Democrats probably would think they need some kind of "mandate" to enact progressive policies.  That's why Democrats suck.  Republicans declare a mandate no matter what the vote was and do whatever they were planning to do anyway.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on November 19, 2020, 05:30:54 PM
Democrats probably would think they need some kind of "mandate" to enact progressive policies.  That's why Democrats suck.  Republicans declare a mandate no matter what the vote was and do whatever they were planning to do anyway.

I see your point. Nevertheless, President Biden will have enough work with the pandemic for rather a piece.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Quote from: Todd on November 16, 2020, 05:54:41 AM

It was also all but certain that Trump would steal the election.

Quote from: Todd on November 16, 2020, 03:51:22 PM
Despite what has been written on GMG, he did not try. 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Not much in the way of acumen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on November 19, 2020, 05:30:54 PM

In terms of percentage of votes, Biden has a bigger mandate than Carter, Reagan, or Clinton.

But a very slim majority in the House and at best a 50/50 Senate (if Ossoff and Warnock do the improbable) mean he'll have no real chance to use it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

My brother has alienated both of my sons that they are no longer on speaking terms.  My oldest son is married to a Korean women and my my brother has made snide remarks about my grandchildren.  My youngest sons long time girl friend is Mexican and my brother has made remarks that it is sad that he could not hook up with a nice white girl.  The only reason I tolerate my brother's behavior is because my mother lives with him and I do not want to be cut off from her.

I'm sorry to hear that, it must be very difficult for you.

We had a similar period in Romania in the early 1990s, immediately after the fall of the communist regime. Whole families were sharply divided along political lines and relationships were cold or even broken altogether. Nowadays, though, the situation is normalized.

AFAIC, politics it's not worth it.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Herman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 19, 2020, 06:55:55 PM
Not much in the way of acumen.

It's called alternative facts.

Even while Trump is trying to steal the election, that and playing golf are his only lame duck pursuits, you blithely say you own the facts and ridicule anyone who reads a newspaper ("failing") and say Trump is not even trying to steal the election.

In case of credibility loss start ten Beethoven topics.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2020, 05:18:49 PM
I made an innocent remark that Christina Applegate will always be remembered as Kelly Bundy and he looked at me for second and said "Well, you'll always be remembered for nothing."

Fprgive me for saying it but your brother is a jerk.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Herman

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2020, 01:05:40 PM
The key to this is to never let politics stand in the way. We are not defined by whom we vote for, but by what what we do and how we behave. [...]  Life is larger than politics.

voting is an act, not just some form of fantasy; it's what you do, and it has consequences.

in general your story is applicable, but not if people are voting for a president who seperates kids from their parents and puts them in cages and all the other awful things.

Herman

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2020, 05:18:49 PM

Anyway, I say forget those people in your life that bring you misery and hardship --- you simply don't need them. Focus on the people who do build you up, not tear you down. You'll be better off in the long-run.

As any psychotherapist can tell you, one's close family is a source of pain to many people.

You can spend decades trying to make it better, but sometimes it just doesn't work out, because there's too much pain and resentment and mysterious motives you'll never untangle.

Focus on people who like and love you for who you are. Life is too short.

Florestan

Quote from: Herman on November 20, 2020, 02:21:32 AM
voting is an act, not just some form of fantasy; it's what you do, and it has consequences.

in general your story is applicable, but not if people are voting for a president who seperates kids from their parents and puts them in cages and all the other awful things.

Presidents come and go. Trump will soon be history. A permanently damaged relationship with one's family, though, is a source of frustration, anger and/or resentment. Not good for the health of anyone involved.

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on November 20, 2020, 03:09:04 AM
Presidents come and go. Trump will soon be history.

Yep, but all the damage he did takes decades to repair.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: arpeggio on November 19, 2020, 12:42:10 PM
I do not mean this to be as a criticism of you personally.  Although we disagree on some things you are a very knowledge member.

At least you are being respectful.   0:)

Quote from: arpeggio on November 19, 2020, 12:42:10 PMYour suggestions sound reasonable if one is trying to carry on a discussion with a rational person.  The vast majority of Trumpsters I have met live in an alternant reality where all Democrats hate America and are evil.

As I said, the steps I listed are really hard to make, but what else can you do but try? The alternative is not trying and letting things be as they are and even deterioating further. A certain portion of the country will live in alternant reality no matter what, but as long as they are in the minority and there's democracy it's ok. In Finland about 20 % of the population is "out there", but they are small enough group, althou I wish these people didn't exist at all.

Quote from: arpeggio on November 19, 2020, 12:42:10 PMI do not see how we can resolve differences with people who deny Darwin and scientific reality.

What if Hillary had win in 2016? Trumpists would not be the cult they are today. 70.000 votes in the rust belt made Trump the president. If you can "convert" just 1 % of the population to follow reason you are in a better place.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2020, 01:05:40 PM
When it comes to politics, I am from Mars and my in-laws are from Venus, yet my relationship with them is excellent. The key to this is to never let politics stand in the way. We are not defined by whom we vote for, but by what what we do and how we behave. I hate everything and everyone my father-in-law stands for politically, and viceversa, yet we never had any irreconcilable conflict --- actually, we have always got along very fine. Life is larger than politics.
I am happy for you Florestan; glad to see that both parties can set that aside and still care about each other.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

My brother has alienated both of my sons that they are no longer on speaking terms.  My oldest son is married to a Korean women and my my brother has made snide remarks about my grandchildren.  My youngest sons long time girl friend is Mexican and my brother has made remarks that it is sad that he could not hook up with a nice white girl.  The only reason I tolerate my brother's behavior is because my mother lives with him and I do not want to be cut off from her.

I'm so sorry to read this and wish that I could offer some words of wisdom and of comfort.  That's very brave and loving of you to willingly enter into that toxic environment to spend time with your mother.

All the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter