USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2020, 06:54:50 AM
The small, weak country that is Romania was enormously helped into existence by three foreign persons: Napoleon III, Georges Clemenceau and Woodrow Wilson. I am ashamed, and publicly state it, that neither of them is honored in Romania by a statue, or an avenue/square name.

Wait long enough, and people start toppling statues of various personages.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on November 30, 2020, 07:39:39 AM
Wait long enough, and people start toppling statues of various personages.

Btw, if all names even remotely or obliquely related to slavery and racism should be get rid of, then how about the Democratic Party;D ;D ;D

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2020, 07:43:22 AM
Btw, if all names even remotely or obliquely related to slavery and racism should be get rid of, then how about the Democratic Party;D ;D ;D

Shhhh!

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on November 30, 2020, 08:15:35 AM
Shhhh!

Has the Democratic Party ever officially and publicly apologized for its blatantly racist and slavery-supporting past ?

North Star

The small, weak country that is Romania was enormously helped into existence by three foreign persons: Napoleon III, Georges Clemenceau and Woodrow Wilson. I am ashamed, and publicly state it, that neither of them is honored in Romania by a statue, or an avenue/square name.

As for our dependence on USA, I'll just quote a former Romanian president (the best so far): "I'd rather give a blowjob to the POTUS than to Putin" --- if you'll excuse my his French.  ;D
Whereas Finland owes its independence to Lenin and Hitler, and was declared a war on by the UK (together with Romania and Hungary). I am ashamed to say that there is a statue of Lenin still in the coastal city of Kotka, erected in 1979, a gift from the city of Tallinn. And also a couple of statues in the Tampere Lenin museum.

La multi ani, Andrei!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on November 30, 2020, 08:40:37 AM
Whereas Finland owes its independence to Lenin and Hitler, and was declared a war on by the UK (together with Romania and Hungary). I am ashamed to say that there is a statue of Lenin still in the coastal city of Kotka, erected in 1979, a gift from the city of Tallinn. And also a couple of statues in the Tampere Lenin museum.

Romania 3 - Finland 2.   ;D

I do wonder though: when and why did Romania declare war on Finland?  :o

Florestan

La multi ani, Andrei!

Thank you, Karlo, many happy returns to you too!

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2020, 08:44:39 AM
Romania 3 - Finland 2.   ;D

I do wonder though: when and why did Romania declare war on Finland?  :o
No, the UK declared war on Finland, Romania and Hungary in World War II.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on November 30, 2020, 08:50:35 AM
No, the UK declared war on Finland, Romania and Hungary in World War II.

Ah, okay, got it.  :)

drogulus

Repubs have yet to officially apologize for Lincoln. Seriously, though, we don't really need the words, do we?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on November 30, 2020, 08:53:14 AM
     Repubs have yet to officially apologize for Lincoln.

Why?

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2020, 08:55:46 AM
Why?

An official repudiation might ruffle the feathers of that portion of Repubs who wish to fantasize that they belong to the "Party of Lincoln". It's not how I do things, as I think a political party is what it does more than what its name used to mean.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

La multi ani, Andrei!

Lenin recognized Finnish independence after Finland declared it.

From the Encyclopedia Drogulania:

By a law of July 1917 it was decided that all the authority previously wielded by the emperor (apart from defense and foreign policy) should be exercised by the Finnish Parliament. After Russia was taken over by the Bolsheviks in November 1917 Parliament issued a declaration of independence for Finland on December 6, 1917, which was recognized by Lenin and his government on the last day of the year.

I guess that's worth a statue.

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2020, 08:34:48 AM
Has the Democratic Party ever officially and publicly apologized for its blatantly racist and slavery-supporting past ?

I think some Dems have.  Some even pay lip service to reparations from time to time, as though that may happen. 

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on November 30, 2020, 09:05:54 AM
     I think a political party is what it does more than what its name used to mean.

Then I guess you'd be in favor of lifting the current ban on the Romanian Communist Parrty.

JBS

As for our dependence on USA, I'll just quote a former Romanian president (the best so far): "I'd rather give a blowjob to the POTUS than to Putin" --- if you'll excuse my his French.  ;D

Wilson was an old style racist Democrat who actively pushed blacks out of the federal civil service, among other things. Princeton over the summer began the ritual process of de-Wilsoning its campus. Definitely not a person to be statued.

[And that's over and above the question of whether his approach to post WWI peace helped lay the groundwork for WWII.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on November 30, 2020, 10:55:50 AM
Wilson was an old style racist [...]

So was Voltaire, the icon of the Enlightenment. He even traded slaves. Go tell the French he's definitely not a person to be statued or avenued.

[And that's over and above the question of whether his approach to post WWI peace helped lay the groundwork for WWII.]

His 14 Points greatly helped Greater Romania into being recognized internationally. That's merit enough for me.

Heck, there are Karl Marx* squares in France or Lenin statues in Finland. Why, and whom, should a Wilson square in Bucharest offend?

*Not to mention that none other than Jean-Claude Juncker sang the praises of Karl Marx a few years ago --- much to the indignation of Poles, Romanians and Baltics.

Florestan

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2020, 10:34:09 AM
Then I guess you'd be in favor of lifting the current ban on the Romanian Communist Parrty.

I don't know how your ban works. Are you banning people, or a name, or outlawing an ideology?

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on November 30, 2020, 11:46:56 AM
     I don't know how your ban works. Are you banning people, or a name, or outlawing an ideology?

Romanian Criminal Code, Article 166.

Totalitarian State Propaganda

Any public propaganda in favor of establishing a totaliitarian state, by any means whatsoever, shall be punished by a 6-month to 5-year prison sentence and the interdict of some civil rights.

In the sense of this article, propaganda means systematically spreading or defending ideas, notions or doctrines intended to convince or attract new members.