USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Well, we can't exactly build a wall to the US over here, but one of the options is the talk & vague progressions in making the largely free-wheelin' social media more responsible for their content. EU seems to be gradually moving towards it. It's a complicated question, but IMO the social media are comparable to traditional/printed media & they certainly ought to have - and show - more responsibility in their actions.

Newsmax and OANN are likely to become the upcoming, fringe media sources, and they'll nourish division and conspiracy theories further, now that Fox News has retreated somewhat - at least for a while. Add to this 'DeepFake' possibilities in the new stories, which will contribute further to confusion in obtaining reliable information in politics and current events, and you'll have a rather problematic cocktail, for everyone, in the future.

One could also hope that the social media use, still in its early phase, will mature somewhat, rather than degenerate - and that a better educational level regarding them will follow as well, in the long run. But it's all intertwined with the general democratic sense, and the sense of civic responsibility, versus the degree of social and economical divisions within society.

Todd

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2020, 09:49:26 AMNearly half of Americans have lost their mind and are completely detached from reality.

A lot of non-Americans have as well.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2020, 09:49:26 AMI'm not sure what at this point keeps the US from collapsing as a society.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

steve ridgway

Well a man called Adolf Hitler Uunona has been elected as a local councillor for Namibia's governing Swapo party. ???

Todd

Todd

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 05, 2020, 07:10:39 AM
Well a man called Adolf Hitler Uunona has been elected as a local councillor for Namibia's governing Swapo party. ???

And what's got it to do with USA politics, I wonder.  ???
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2020, 07:17:07 AM

The internet.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2020, 07:17:07 AM

Todd's comment about non-Americans losing their minds too. I was just thinking what fun could be had if some party in America could falsify his birth records and run him for president. >:D

Todd

Something that may be of help to some people: Reading Too Much Political News Is Bad for Your Well-Being

It's from The Atlantic, so it's legit, even if it was pre-election.

steve ridgway

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 05, 2020, 07:23:14 AM
Todd's comment about non-Americans losing their minds too.

I see, thanks for clarifying.  :)

Well, beside the name there is another striking similarity: SWAPO is a leftist party and so was the NSDAP, so I'd say there is very serious reason for the whole Africa to be deeply concerned about it.  ;D

Seriously now, the chap might be a jolly good fellow who really cares about his community and does his best to improve it in every possible way (that's  one of the typical reasons why local councilors get elected); alternately, he might be just a faithful, and obedient rank-and-file of the ruling party (that's another typical reason why local councilors get elected). Either way, he can't be blamed for the name his parents gave him. Besides, Mussolini's anarchist father named him after Benito Suarez.  :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on December 05, 2020, 07:30:24 AM
Reading Too Much Political News Is Bad for Your Well-Being

Of course it is. We have a conspicuous example right here on GMG.

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2020, 07:44:19 AM
Of course it is. We have a conspicuous examples right here on GMG.

Edited.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2020, 07:41:23 AM
Seriously now, the chap might be a jolly good fellow who really cares about his community and does his best to improve it in every possible way (that's  one of the typical reasons why local councilors get elected); alternately, he might be just a faithful, and obedient rank-and-file of the ruling party (that's another typical reason why local councilors get elected). Either way, he can't be blamed for the name his parents gave him.

Yes, it could be a name given out of innocent backwater ignorance. As the BBC say,

Namibia is a former German colony and there are still reminders of that time in some placenames. There is also a small German-speaking minority.

"My father named me after this man. He probably didn't understand what Adolf Hitler stood for," Mr Uunona told Bild.

"It was a very normal name for me as a child. It was not until I was growing up that I realised that this man wanted to subjugate the whole world. I have nothing to do with any of these things."

steve ridgway

Which reminds me of my father's surprise when my brother's Hungarian wife told him Atilla was a very popular name over there. :o

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 05, 2020, 07:54:45 AM
"My father named me after this man. He probably didn't understand what Adolf Hitler stood for," Mr Uunona told Bild.

"It was a very normal name for me as a child. It was not until I was growing up that I realised that this man wanted to subjugate the whole world. I have nothing to do with any of these things."[/i]

He sounds okay to me.

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 05, 2020, 07:56:54 AM
Which reminds me of my father's surprise when my brother's Hungarian wife told him Atilla was a very popular name over there. :o

And of course the irony for both Hungarians and Englishmen is that Attila is a Germanic name meaning "little father" which stems from atta (father) to which the diminutive suffix -ila was attached. Exactly the same as Wulfila, ie "little wolf". 

:D

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2020, 08:02:31 AM
He sounds okay to me.

There are actually some descendants of Hitler living in.... the USA. ::)

https://nypost.com/2018/10/08/some-of-hitlers-last-relatives-are-living-secret-lives-on-long-island/

I also found a Hitler in the corporate email address book of a previous employer - again in the USA. ;)

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2020, 08:08:45 AM
And of course the irony for both Hungarians and Englishmen is that Attila is a Germanic name meaning "little father" which stems from atta (father) to which the diminutive suffix -ila was attached. Exactly the same as Wulfila, ie "little wolf".

Ah right, we English people would never have known about that. :-[

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 05, 2020, 08:11:06 AM
Ah right, we English people would never have known about that. :-[

I didn't mean to be pedantic or offensive. If I sounded like that I apologize.