USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 22, 2021, 04:27:56 PM
This, however, is a show I might just watch:

Senate ends standoff, agrees to start Trump's impeachment trial Feb. 9

Doug Andres, a spokesman for [Senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell, called the agreement "a win for due process and fairness."

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 22, 2021, 04:42:00 PM
Doug Andres, a spokesman for [Senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell, called the agreement "a win for due process and fairness."
That sounds like a fair deal with (hopefully) Pres. Biden getting all of his cabinet positions filled and progress made in getting the government back up and functioning again.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/23/trump-considered-installing-loyalist-as-attorney-general-in-push-to-overturn-election.html

Former President Donald Trump earlier this month plotted to oust Jeffrey Rosen as acting attorney general and replace him with a Justice Department lawyer who would aid his efforts to overturn the presidential election results, The New York Times reported Friday.

The plan would have replaced Rosen with Jeffrey Clark, the lawyer who led the Justice Department's civil division. Clark would have then supported Trump's baseless claims of voter fraud and put pressure on Georgia state officials to change the election outcome.

A Justice Department official familiar with the matter confirmed to NBC News the Times' account of Trump's efforts.

Trump's plan ultimately didn't materialize after Justice Department officials agreed during a conference call that they would resign if Rosen was dismissed, according to the Times.

Trump had urged Rosen to appoint special counsels to investigate his allegations of widespread election fraud as well as the voting machine company Dominion, but Rosen refused.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on January 23, 2021, 11:01:25 AM
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/23/trump-considered-installing-loyalist-as-attorney-general-in-push-to-overturn-election.html

Former President Donald Trump earlier this month plotted to oust Jeffrey Rosen as acting attorney general and replace him with a Justice Department lawyer who would aid his efforts to overturn the presidential election results, The New York Times reported Friday.

The plan would have replaced Rosen with Jeffrey Clark, the lawyer who led the Justice Department's civil division. Clark would have then supported Trump's baseless claims of voter fraud and put pressure on Georgia state officials to change the election outcome.

A Justice Department official familiar with the matter confirmed to NBC News the Times' account of Trump's efforts.

Trump's plan ultimately didn't materialize after Justice Department officials agreed during a conference call that they would resign if Rosen was dismissed, according to the Times.

Trump had urged Rosen to appoint special counsels to investigate his allegations of widespread election fraud as well as the voting machine company Dominion, but Rosen refused.
What can one say?  ??? :(  >:(
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: geralmar on January 23, 2021, 11:51:56 AM
Not all conservatives supported Trump:

What a vicious thing to say about Paris Hilton.

Karl Henning

When did the National Review start shying away from Trump?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Senate Republican threatens impeachments of past Democratic presidents

"The Texas Republican senator John Cornyn warned on Saturday that Donald Trump's second impeachment could lead to the prosecution of former Democratic presidents if Republicans retake Congress in two years' time.[...]

"If it is a good idea to impeach and try former presidents, what about former Democratic presidents when Republicans get the majority in 2022?" Cornyn, a 19-year veteran of the Senate who last year tried to distance himself from Trump when it seemed his seat was at risk, tweeted at majority leader Chuck Schumer.

"Think about it and let's do what is best for the country."[...]

Daverz

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 23, 2021, 08:25:57 PM

"The Texas Republican senator John Cornyn warned on Saturday that Donald Trump's second impeachment could lead to the prosecution of former Democratic presidents if Republicans retake Congress in two years' time.[...]

"If it is a good idea to impeach and try former presidents, what about former Democratic presidents when Republicans get the majority in 2022?" Cornyn, a 19-year veteran of the Senate who last year tried to distance himself from Trump when it seemed his seat was at risk, tweeted at majority leader Chuck Schumer.

I say bring it on.   We can finally convict that bastard Andrew Johnson!

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 23, 2021, 08:25:57 PM

The man is bluffing and is full of shit. There is a huge difference in what Bill Clinton did in office, for example, and what Trump did. While I don't condone Clinton lying to the American public about Monica Lewinsky (a Republican plant in the first-place), I think what Trump did was incite an assault on the US government and is without a doubt far worse than anything Clinton, Obama and Carter did when they were in office. Cornyn should be ashamed of himself for even mentioning this because the Republican Party certainly doesn't need any more division than it already has received with Trump's dishonorable departure.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 23, 2021, 08:34:29 PM
I say bring it on.   We can finally convict that bastard Andrew Johnson!

Get the shovels ready! :P

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 23, 2021, 08:40:07 PM
The man is bluffing and is full of shit. There is a huge difference in what Bill Clinton did in office, for example, and what Trump did. While I don't condone Clinton lying to the American public about Monica Lewinsky (a Republican plant in the first-place), I think what Trump did was incite an assault on the US government and is without a doubt far worse than anything Clinton, Obama and Carter did when they were in office. Cornyn should be ashamed of himself for even mentioning this because the Republican Party certainly doesn't need any more division than it already has received with Trump's dishonorable departure.

Plus, if covering up your philandering is grounds for impeachment then the historians have uncovered enough to get at least a quarter of them, right up to Bush 41.

T. D.

MusicTurner

Quote from: T. D. on January 24, 2021, 07:31:12 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-24/biden-won-but-fight-for-democracy-remains-too-close-to-call

Recommended if you can read it w/o paywall.

A good number of such articles are available for free here in Europe at least.

Not sure this has gotten much overall attention, but #45 actually spent a lot of time rehearsing the denial of election results, long before the election itself:

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-election-lies-2649960952/

Mirror Image

My, my, my how the mighty have fallen:

https://www.youtube.com/v/y59gdN45-E4

If Trump would've conceded the election like a man instead of the snot-nosed adolescent that he showcased front-and-center to the public post-election, then it might have been a lot easier for him. But, oh yeah, he incited a   that downgraded him to 'not even worth spitting on' category that will forever taint him post-presidency. When you burn bridges and, more importantly, treat everyone else like they're beneath you, then you have what's coming to you. It also doesn't help that his inaction about the 'fake COVID' left hundreds of thousands dead also amounts to him being the worse president in US history. Great job! YOU'RE FIRED!!!

BasilValentine

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2021, 07:18:52 PM
My, my, my how the mighty have fallen:

https://www.youtube.com/v/y59gdN45-E4

If Trump would've conceded the election like a man instead of the snot-nosed adolescent that he showcased front-and-center to the public post-election, then it might have been a lot easier for him. But, oh yeah, he incited a chou that downgraded him to 'not even worth spitting on' category that will forever taint him post-presidency. When you burn bridges and, more importantly, treat everyone else like they're beneath you, then you have what's coming to you.

He saw two alternatives: the rest of his years answering suits and indictments and facing eternal humiliation and/or prison time, or gaining lifetime immunity from prosecution by staying in power. So he tried to join the big boys' dictator club with all his idols by staging a coup. It ended like most Trump ventures. The behaving like a man thing was never happening. As e. e. cummings put it: "Trump is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man."

Mirror Image

Quote from: BasilValentine on January 24, 2021, 07:37:03 PM
He saw two alternatives: the rest of his years answering suits and indictments and facing eternal humiliation and/or prison time, or gaining lifetime immunity from prosecution by staying in power. So he tried to join the big boys' dictator club with all his idols by staging a coup. It ended like most Trump ventures. The behaving like a man thing was never happening. As e. e. cummings put it: "Trump is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man."

Yes, indeed. It's going to be interesting to see what happens February 7th as the Senate has to figure how to vanquish this orange stain from ever running for public office again.

Herman

Smiley-face lyin' Sarah Huckabee is going to run for Arkansas governor, saying that Washington is now in the hands of the "radical left."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Herman on January 25, 2021, 04:01:28 AM
Smiley-face lyin' Sarah Huckabee is going to run for Arkansas governor, saying that Washington is now in the hands of the "radical left."

She's a moron. Plain and simple.

MusicTurner

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 15, 2021, 11:31:26 AM
Those legal steps from Dominion voting systems can be pretty effective.

Here's a another example, just in:
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/01/statement.html

Giuliani now sued for  $ 1.3 billion
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/25/dominion-rudy-giuliani-lawsuit-election

Herman

When asked, Giuliani boasted that he did not care how history would view his ignominous wingman-for-Trump senescence.

"When I'm dead, I'm dead," he said, or something to that effect.

It's strange that people did not seem to realize there's a period in between, when Trump is not protecting you anymore (in sofar as he ever did) and you're not dead yet.

Giuliani is about to enter that period.

It's more or less the same with all these Capitol vandalizers who blissfully posted selfie vids online to save law enforcement time tracking them down. They thought they couldn't get hurt.

It seems to be part of Trumpist Derangement Syndrom.