USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-22/trump-allies-rejected-by-u-s-supreme-court-on-election-appeals

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected appeals filed in December to try to overturn President Joe Biden's election victories in five key states, marking the end of cases that sought to keep Donald Trump in the White House.

The justices without comment Monday turned away appeals that challenged the results in Georgia, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. The cases included two filed by Trump himself and others pressed by his Republican allies.

The high court signaled months ago it wasn't interested in hearing the appeals, which claimed without foundation that Biden's wins were the product of widespread fraud, caused in part by the use of mail-in ballots. The court previously refused to issue emergency orders in the cases or put them on a fast track.

The justices also refused to take up a narrower case from the 2020 election centering on Pennsylvania mail ballots. Republicans said the Pennsylvania Supreme Court usurped its authority by ordering a three-day extension of the Election Day deadline for ballots to arrive because of the pandemic and expected mail delays.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on February 22, 2021, 06:47:49 AM
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/22/supreme-court-rejects-trump-effort-to-shield-tax-records-from-ny-prosecutors.html

The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a last-ditch bid by former President Donald Trump to keep his financial records, including years of his tax returns, out of the hands of the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus Vance Jr.

The decision, the second time the nation's highest court has refused to block a grand jury subpoena for those confidential records, was announced in an order with no noted dissents.

The news further imperils the ex-president, who is facing investigations in New York and elsewhere.

Yeah!  :)

Quote from: T. D. on February 22, 2021, 07:00:37 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-22/trump-allies-rejected-by-u-s-supreme-court-on-election-appeals

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected appeals filed in December to try to overturn President Joe Biden's election victories in five key states, marking the end of cases that sought to keep Donald Trump in the White House.

The justices without comment Monday turned away appeals that challenged the results in Georgia, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. The cases included two filed by Trump himself and others pressed by his Republican allies.

The high court signaled months ago it wasn't interested in hearing the appeals, which claimed without foundation that Biden's wins were the product of widespread fraud, caused in part by the use of mail-in ballots. The court previously refused to issue emergency orders in the cases or put them on a fast track.

The justices also refused to take up a narrower case from the 2020 election centering on Pennsylvania mail ballots. Republicans said the Pennsylvania Supreme Court usurped its authority by ordering a three-day extension of the Election Day deadline for ballots to arrive because of the pandemic and expected mail delays.

I had thought that all of those legal election lawsuits had already been settled?

Concerned about some of the stories that I've been hearing on the news lately about some states changing election laws trying to make it harder for people to vote.  Found this article for example.  I had heard the news via NPR recently.  https://americanindependent.com/florida-georgia-gop-voting-by-mail-absentee-suppression-donald-trump-2020-election/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Watching the Garland confirmation hearing, which I hope many people are doing. One of the biggest lessons from the last four years: People are woefully underinformed about our political process.

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on February 22, 2021, 07:22:55 AM
Watching the Garland confirmation hearing, which I hope many people are doing. One of the biggest lessons from the last four years: People are woefully underinformed about our political process.

--Bruce
Thank you for the reminder; however, it looks like they're due to take a break now.  Will have to check back in later.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: geralmar on February 22, 2021, 10:16:23 PM
The Pennsylvania case was particularly offensive because for decades Republicans have shrilly championed "States Rights".

Republicans have 86-ed everything they once believed in, out of lust for power at any moral price.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 23, 2021, 07:12:33 AM
Republicans have 86-ed everything they once believed in, out of lust for power at any moral price.
It's very sad and disheartening to see.
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: geralmar on February 23, 2021, 01:13:40 PM
The "Best People":

Update:  The attacker is in custody.  He is a retired New York City policeman.

He certainly gives 'New York's finest' a bad name.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2021, 10:18:35 AM
+1 How horrible.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

BasilValentine

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2021, 10:18:35 AM

Hurray for the FBI.

T. D.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56190814

South Dakota lawmakers have launched a bid to remove the state's attorney general from office after authorities say he fatally hit a man with his car.

Jason Ravnsborg has said he thought he had struck a deer and did not know it was a man until one day later.

Newly released video shows agents telling Mr Ravnsborg the victim's glasses were found in his car, and that "his face was in your windshield".

The Republican faces three misdemeanour charges and months in prison.

He has resisted calls to resign, including from South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem, who called on her Republican colleague to step down on Tuesday.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers began the impeachment proceedings against Mr Ravnsborg the same day.

In an unusual move, Ms Noem released the footage of Mr Ravnsborg's questioning later on Tuesday.

Daverz

Quote from: T. D. on February 24, 2021, 02:56:13 PM
the victim's glasses were found in his car

WTF!!!  So this wasn't "THUMP...what was that?" on a dark night.  The man's face smashed through his windshield with such force that his glasses ended up in the car.  And he won't step down. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on February 24, 2021, 07:48:27 PM
WTF!!!  So this wasn't "THUMP...what was that?" on a dark night.  The man's face smashed through his windshield with such force that his glasses ended up in the car.  And he won't step down.

The legislature started impeachment proceedings, today, I think. In a level of intelligent cooperation that the Feds can only aspire to, it was a fully bipartisan effort. 🙂

😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 25, 2021, 06:20:46 AM

The legislature started impeachment proceedings, today, I think. In a level of intelligent cooperation that the Feds can only aspire to, it was a fully bipartisan effort. 🙂

😎

Can't laugh, for crying.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

BasilValentine

This interview with University of Chicago professor Robert Pape sheds light on the demographics of the Capitol insurrectionists. Turns out only a small percentage were affiliated with extremist groups. The great majority are gainfully employed with a surprising number being professionals, white collar workers, and business owners. Most resided in counties Biden won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNwct0nO4U

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 25, 2021, 06:20:46 AM
it was a fully bipartisan effort. 🙂

Didn't think I would see that phrase anytime this year!

Rinaldo

71 dB

As you have seen I have been quite passive in this thread recently. I have managed to lose most of my interest into US politics. I still see what's happening, but I just don't care. For example the electricity problems in Texas: Yeah, that's what happens when corruption dictates how basic infrastructure is run. That's what happens when you don't have adequate regulation in place. Texas was warned 10 years ago. They did not listen. So, this is what happened. If Texas were smart they would stop voting for corrupt Republicans and started voting for the furthest left Democrats not brided by the energy industry, but of course they aren't that smart. They have been brainwashed. So, next time Texas has a winter storm this will happen again... and again. Should I care? Texans can decide themselves whether they want to be smart or stupid.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

ritter

Quote from: 71 dB on February 26, 2021, 11:37:07 AM
As you have seen I have been quite passive in this thread recently. I have managed to lose most of my interest into US politics. I still see what's happening, but I just don't care. For example the electricity problems in Texas: Yeah, that's what happens when corruption dictates how basic infrastructure is run. That's what happens when you don't have adequate regulation in place. Texas was warned 10 years ago. They did not listen. So, this is what happened. If Texas were smart they would stop voting for corrupt Republicans and started voting for the furthest left Democrats not brided by the energy industry, but of course they aren't that smart. They have been brainwashed. So, next time Texas has a winter storm this will happen again... and again. Should I care? Texans can decide themselves whether they want to be smart or stupid.
Your grasp of the minutiae of how America works, and your subsequent pontificating, is worthy of admiration.

drogulus

Quote from: geralmar on February 26, 2021, 10:47:02 AM
And wearing the American flag for boxer shorts.

Seriously, what are these idiots thinking?

Moses was a globalist.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0