USA Politics (redux)

Started by bhodges, November 10, 2020, 01:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Opposition to Net Neutrality Was Faked, New York Says: Live Updates

Internet service providers funded an effort that yielded millions of fake comments supporting the Federal Communications Commission's repeal of so-called net neutrality rules in 2017, the New York attorney general said on Thursday.

Internet providers, working through a group called Broadband for America, spent $4.2 million on the project, the attorney general said. The effort generated roughly nine million comments to the agency and letters to Congress backing the rollback, almost all of which were signed by people who had never agreed to the use of their names on such comments, according to the investigation. Some of the names had instead been obtained earlier, in other marketing efforts, and were then used to submit comments, officials said. The agency approved the repeal in late 2017.

I've been following the story for the past few years on a tech news site.

Ajit Pai, then the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, announced a plan to repeal the net neutrality rules in April 2017. Around the same time, Broadband for America started to pay providers of lead generation services — companies that gather customers for clients as part of marketing efforts — millions of dollars to generate comments at the F.C.C. and letters to Congress supporting the repeal.

Investigators said that Broadband for America acted to give Mr. Pai "cover" to repeal the broadband regulations. The internet providers have staunchly opposed attempts to regulate the industry for years, including by pushing for Congress to approve weaker rules instead.

Pai may not have been the worst of the Trumpist slimeballs (it's a target rich environment), but I took his slimeyness more personally than I did the others.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on May 06, 2021, 09:51:20 AM
     Opposition to Net Neutrality Was Faked, New York Says: Live Updates

Internet service providers funded an effort that yielded millions of fake comments supporting the Federal Communications Commission's repeal of so-called net neutrality rules in 2017, the New York attorney general said on Thursday.

Internet providers, working through a group called Broadband for America, spent $4.2 million on the project, the attorney general said. The effort generated roughly nine million comments to the agency and letters to Congress backing the rollback, almost all of which were signed by people who had never agreed to the use of their names on such comments, according to the investigation. Some of the names had instead been obtained earlier, in other marketing efforts, and were then used to submit comments, officials said. The agency approved the repeal in late 2017.

I've been following the story for the past few years on a tech news site.

Ajit Pai, then the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, announced a plan to repeal the net neutrality rules in April 2017. Around the same time, Broadband for America started to pay providers of lead generation services — companies that gather customers for clients as part of marketing efforts — millions of dollars to generate comments at the F.C.C. and letters to Congress supporting the repeal.

Investigators said that Broadband for America acted to give Mr. Pai "cover" to repeal the broadband regulations. The internet providers have staunchly opposed attempts to regulate the industry for years, including by pushing for Congress to approve weaker rules instead.

Pai may not have been the worst of the Trumpist slimeballs (it's a target rich environment), but I took his slimeyness more personally than I did the others.

The sources I follow reported about these fake comments back in 2017. Where is this news in 2021? Your link goes to completely different stories...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2021, 12:28:11 PM
The sources I follow reported about these fake comments back in 2017. Where is this news in 2021? Your link goes to completely different stories...

I fixed the link, now go away and don't bother me.

Opposition to Net Neutrality Was Faked
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Daverz

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2021, 12:28:11 PM

Did we know it was funded by ISPs or just suspect back then?

drogulus

Quote from: Daverz on May 06, 2021, 04:50:08 PM
Did we know it was funded by ISPs or just suspect back then?

This is the first I've read that they actually funded the effort. As far as suspicions go, who else would have been behind it? There was never any support for ending net neutrality among the public.

I could be wrong and there's a "please throttle my internet" constituency out there, at least in principle.

Daverz

Quote from: drogulus on May 06, 2021, 06:48:23 PM
     This is the first I've read that they actually funded the effort. As far as suspicions go, who else would have been behind it? There was never any support for ending net neutrality among the public.

I could be wrong and there's a "please throttle my internet" constituency out there, at least in principle.

Maybe Ajit found the comments in his giant Reeses mug.

Stürmisch Bewegt

I can't say with any authority what Jesus would have said about his flock toting such weaponry, but I suspect he would NOT have been happy with it.

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

BasilValentine

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 07, 2021, 04:41:11 AM
I can't say with any authority what Jesus would have said about his flock toting such weaponry, but I suspect he would NOT have been happy with it.

What's Jesus have to do with it? — that guy in the dress looks Catholic!  :D

greg

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 07, 2021, 04:41:11 AM
Anyone else think at first he was arranging them like a large xylophone and that was a mallet in his hand that he was using to play them?
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: BasilValentine on May 07, 2021, 05:03:14 AM
What's Jesus have to do with it? — that guy in the dress looks Catholic!  :D

Indeed  :laugh:! All religions have become overly political (though of course all through history they have been!) https://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/watch-now-la-crosse-catholic-priest-says-democrats-in-church-are-godless-and-imposters-in/article_e002e599-3c5a-5afa-8138-93844157644b.html
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: greg on May 07, 2021, 05:48:31 AM
Anyone else think at first he was arranging them like a large xylophone and that was a mallet in his hand that he was using to play them?

You're not wrong, he's playing them all right.  And their tune is a death march. 

greg

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 07, 2021, 05:55:26 AM
You're not wrong, he's playing them all right.  And their tune is a death march.
Reminds me of a video I've been enjoying lately, using guns as musical instruments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOh6r-erqI

Surely you'll hate it, but it's good fun.  ;D

greg

If anyone is interested, there is a better version of the political compass test:
https://sapplyvalues.github.io/

The original one that everyone is taking has supposedly had a strong left lib bias... in fact, my results ended up being very much left lib, and intuitively that seemed a little bit off. Seems like it should have been center + somewhat libertarian. So took this test and pretty much what I got. So try this one instead, seems to be better (the questions themselves seemed "better" as well).

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: greg on May 07, 2021, 08:38:56 AM
Reminds me of a video I've been enjoying lately, using guns as musical instruments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOh6r-erqI

Surely you'll hate it, but it's good fun.  ;D

Hmmmm...thanks.  So, that's what's called Heavy Mental, right? :-[

Stürmisch Bewegt

Well, here's my result, not a shocker.  Had some quibbles with some of their terms; and some of the questions are to the max reductive, perhaps inevitable in such an undertaking.   

drogulus

I'm more of a chartalist than a chartist.

I guess it's a case of a picture being worth a thousand words, mostly ifs, ands, buts and splunges. The colors are nice.

André

Quote from: drogulus on May 07, 2021, 12:03:10 PM

I'm more of a chartalist than a chartist.

I guess it's a case a picture being worth a thousand words, mostly ifs, ands, buts and splunges. The colors are nice.

Must have been designed by a Canadian:

We've used these school notebooks for the last, what ? 50 years ?

Brahmsian

Quote from: André on May 07, 2021, 12:29:49 PM

Must have been designed by a Canadian:

We've used these school notebooks for the last, what ? 50 years ?

:laugh: :laugh:  Yes, I didn't realize Hilroy was Canadian?

greg

Quote from: drogulus on May 07, 2021, 12:03:10 PM
I guess it's a case of a picture being worth a thousand words, mostly ifs, ands, buts and splunges. The colors are nice.
Wow, you score in the same exact spot as me. LOL.
this is your results, right???

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 07, 2021, 10:43:53 AM
Hmmmm...thanks.  So, that's what's called Heavy Mental, right? :-[
Well, without the "n" in metal, yeah  :D