The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

# Opera from the Galant & Classical Era #

<< < (2/10) > >>

Leo K.:
A charming opera buffa from Baldassare Galuppi. I love the orchestration, and this live recording is well recorded with pleasant singers. 18th century greatness all around!  :D




--- Quote ---"The World of the Moon" is a playful drama in three acts written by Carlo Goldoni to be set to music by Baldassare Galuppi , whom he represented for the first time on 29 January 1750 at the Teatro San Moise in Venice. Later the book was taken up by other composers, including Giovanni Paisiello , and Franz Joseph Haydn.

--- End quote ---

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: Leo K on July 10, 2011, 09:53:22 AM ---A charming opera buffa from Baldassare Galuppi. I love the orchestration, and this live recording is well recorded with pleasant singers. 18th century greatness all around!  :D



--- End quote ---

Yes, that is a quite amusing opera, Goldoni justly earned his laurels as the premier librettist in the second half of the 18th century. I don't have Galuppi's version, but I do have Haydn's (1777-78). Also one of his better efforts. :)

8)


----------------
Now playing:
Manfred Huss - Haydn Sinfonietta Wien - Bernard Richter - Hob 24b:14 Aria for Tenor "Se tu mi sprezzi, ingrata"

Leo K.:

--- Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 10, 2011, 10:05:41 AM ---Yes, that is a quite amusing opera, Goldoni justly earned his laurels as the premier librettist in the second half of the 18th century. I don't have Galuppi's version, but I do have Haydn's (1777-78). Also one of his better efforts. :)

8)


----------------
Now playing:
Manfred Huss - Haydn Sinfonietta Wien - Bernard Richter - Hob 24b:14 Aria for Tenor "Se tu mi sprezzi, ingrata"

--- End quote ---

I'll have to track down Haydn's version for sure!

Leo K.:
I've got a few Haydn operas on LP that I'm gearing to listen to soon.  ;) I've also picked up some of Salieri's operas. I'm not sure why I waited so long to listen to Salieri, but a recent encounter with his piano concerti was a beautiful listen. Salieri surprises me a lot, his ideas are melodic and bold.
 
8)

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: Leo K on July 10, 2011, 10:56:33 AM ---I've got a few Haydn operas on LP that I'm gearing to listen to soon.  ;) I've also picked up some of Salieri's operas. I'm not sure why I waited so long to listen to Salieri, but a recent encounter with his piano concerti was a beautiful listen. Salieri surprises me a lot, his ideas are melodic and bold.
 
8)

--- End quote ---

Oh, and I meant to say that I have some Galuppi instrumental music and find it quite enjoyable too. He wrote over 100 keyboard sonatas, BTW. And that was just a sideline. :)

As for Salieri, I have a moderate amount of his instrumental music, including the piano concertos and quite a few overtures. I would like to get at least one of his operas, preferably one with a libretto by da Ponte, just for comparison's sake. :)

8)


----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 57 Quartet in C for Strings Op 54 #2 2nd mvmt - Adagio

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version