(accidentally) Buying an album you already had? Embarrassment.

Started by Scion7, November 17, 2020, 03:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: JBS on November 18, 2020, 08:56:52 AM
The few CDs I give away (and more than a few books)  go to a charity shop (Goodwill). Pre Covid I gave them to the public library, which sold them as part of its fundraising used book sales. I assume those will happen again once we actually reach post-Covid time.

Our Charity shops, and we have precious few of them, will not take them. People that love classical music are not frequent visitors of such shops. So they refuse them with this argument.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on November 18, 2020, 08:56:52 AM
The few CDs I give away (and more than a few books)  go to a charity shop (Goodwill). Pre Covid I gave them to the public library, which sold them as part of its fundraising used book sales. I assume those will happen again once we actually reach post-Covid time.

Yes, I've started collecting duplicated and CDs that I'll probably never listen to again for the Mind charity shop in the local town. Apparently there is a demand for classical CDs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: "Harry" on November 18, 2020, 09:08:54 AM
Our Charity shops, and we have precious few of them, will not take them. People that love classical music are not frequent visitors of such shops. So they refuse them with this argument.

I've asked around locally to see if anyone wants disks that I've lost interest in for whatever reason. It seems one would have to pay them to take them. I have a friend who simply bins his, if I lived closer to Philadelphia I would at least ask him if I could look through them first.... :D

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 18, 2020, 08:49:19 AM

p.s.  Here's a thought:  what about the sets that you own some of which have duplicates in the other box set(s)?  ???   ::)

The way box sets have been thrown into the marketplace, this seems almost inevitable, like a big Beethoven Box, where you have the symphonies already in a Big Karajan Box, and the piano works in a Big Kempff Box, and the String Quartets in a Big Emerson Box, ad infinitum.  Yikes :o ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 18, 2020, 10:48:21 AM
I've asked around locally to see if anyone wants disks that I've lost interest in for whatever reason. It seems one would have to pay them to take them. I have a friend who simply bins his, if I lived closer to Philadelphia I would at least ask him if I could look through them first.... :D

The way box sets have been thrown into the marketplace, this seems almost inevitable, like a big Beethoven Box, where you have the symphonies already in a Big Karajan Box, and the piano works in a Big Kempff Box, and the String Quartets in a Big Emerson Box, ad infinitum.  Yikes :o ::)

8)
Too true lol.  Then there's the:  O.k., I swear that I have this particular recording, but where is it?  What box set is it in?  Or on which CD and filed under?  And so on and so on.... :-[
Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

I've done this a couple of times. It became apparent when I recently re-ripped my whole collection in FLAC to an external HDD.
Cheers

Holden

Mirror Image

Quote from: Holden on November 18, 2020, 02:12:37 PM
I've done this a couple of times. It became apparent when I recently re-ripped my whole collection in FLAC to an external HDD.

Hmmm...how long did that take?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 18, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
Too true lol.  Then there's the:  O.k., I swear that I have this particular recording, but where is it?  What box set is it in?  Or on which CD and filed under?  And so on and so on.... :-[

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Holden

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2020, 02:31:05 PM
Hmmm...how long did that take?

A lot less time than I thought it would. Basically, every time I sat at my Mac I ripped CDs. In all it took about six to eight weeks which was great because I thought I'd still be going at it now.

I now have two HDDs (I cloned the original) with all my music on them. I formatted the original as Mac OS Extended which (after 142 CDs) I realised limited my options of playback. The clone is formatted as exFAT which means I can use the files on a PC or a Mac making them truly portable. I'm going to see if, once put on a USB whether my car audio system will recognise them.
Cheers

Holden

Mirror Image

Quote from: Holden on November 18, 2020, 05:27:38 PM
A lot less time than I thought it would. Basically, every time I sat at my Mac I ripped CDs. In all it took about six to eight weeks which was great because I thought I'd still be going at it now.

I now have two HDDs (I cloned the original) with all my music on them. I formatted the original as Mac OS Extended which (after 142 CDs) I realised limited my options of playback. The clone is formatted as exFAT which means I can use the files on a PC or a Mac making them truly portable. I'm going to see if, once put on a USB whether my car audio system will recognise them.

That's awesome. I have done this with most of my jazz collection, but I haven't even started nor dared to start ripping my classical collection. It would be too daunting. I used a SSD drive for my jazz collection (a SanDisk 1 TB). If I were you, and this is just a suggestion, I would think about getting into SSDs, because the lack of moving parts. I know they're more expensive, but, basically, you'll have these drives forever. Eventually HDDs and when they do, if you haven't backed them up, you're screwed.

Jo498

How many CDs did you have to rip in total?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Scion7

I'm going to see if, once put on a USB whether my car audio system will recognise them.

It will.  The formatting only has to do with where the file is at the time.  Putting it on a FAT formatted USB doesn't change the music file, and  that's what portable players are all designed to handle. You may have to make them 320kps MP3's, tho' - all portable players are set up to do those, not as many for both FLAC and  MP3.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Holden

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2020, 06:08:35 PM
That's awesome. I have done this with most of my jazz collection, but I haven't even started nor dared to start ripping my classical collection. It would be too daunting. I used a SSD drive for my jazz collection (a SanDisk 1 TB). If I were you, and this is just a suggestion, I would think about getting into SSDs, because the lack of moving parts. I know they're more expensive, but, basically, you'll have these drives forever. Eventually HDDs and when they do, if you haven't backed them up, you're screwed.

I researched both HDDs and SSDs and the overwhelming opinion was that HDDs were the better choice. This was mainly based on price per Gb. The only advantage that SSDs appear to have is loading speed which is not a problem with my music files. It appears that both media have similar life spans.

From the sound of it you have a far bigger classical collection than I have.
Cheers

Holden

Holden

Quote from: Jo498 on November 18, 2020, 11:29:42 PM
How many CDs did you have to rip in total?

2000+ CDs. I haven't done an exact count.
Cheers

Holden

Holden

Quote from: Scion7 on November 19, 2020, 12:42:39 AM
It will.  The formatting only has to do with where the file is at the time.  Putting it on a FAT formatted USB doesn't change the music file, and  that's what portable players are all designed to handle. You may have to make them 320kps MP3's, tho' - all portable players are set up to do those, not as many for both FLAC and  MP3.

Yeah, it's the FLAC part that might be the problem. However, my ripping software, dBpoweramp, does convert FLAC to MP3.

I have a very good portable DAP that takes a 128Gb mini SD card. I might copy some of the files to one of those.
Cheers

Holden