Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

On the contrary, they seem to understand quite well that "The Bible" may mean different things to different persons.

The Ku'ran also means different things to different people.

What 'version' of The Bible do you read ?  ;)

North Star

Quote from: André on July 22, 2016, 11:24:47 AM
On the contrary, they seem to understand quite well that "The Bible" may mean different things to different persons.
Well, that is a charitable view of the intent of that sign.

Quote from: André on July 22, 2016, 11:24:47 AMThe Ku'ran also means different things to different people.

What 'version' of The Bible do you read ?  ;)
Some Finnish translation when I was in school, or on some Christmas dinners at grandparents where I was handed the book and asked to orate... (Luke 2:1-7), on my own I'd go for the KJV now.  0:)

The Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew does contain some spiffing stuff:
QuoteAnd, lo, suddenly there came forth from the cave many dragons; and when the children saw them, they cried out in great terror. Then Jesus went down from the bosom of His mother, and stood on His feet before the dragons; and they adored Jesus, and thereafter retired.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

André

;D

Some people DO count translation differences as things of great import. When quoting the Bible, the 'which version?' question is sure to arise. As if it made a difference considering all the factors and the global context...  ???

North Star

Quote from: André on July 22, 2016, 12:40:14 PM
;D

Some people DO count translation differences as things of great import. When quoting the Bible, the 'which version?' question is sure to arise. As if it made a difference considering all the factors and the global context...  ???
They certainly have aesthetic import, at least. But I do agree that in the greater scheme of things, the differences don't usually matter one whit.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Nielsen's signature:

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on July 22, 2016, 11:41:48 AM
Well, that is a charitable view of the intent of that sign.
Some Finnish translation when I was in school, or on some Christmas dinners at grandparents where I was handed the book and asked to orate... (Luke 2:1-7), on my own I'd go for the KJV now.  0:)

A few years ago my daughter in law, a teen, went through a brief religious phase and was confirmed as an Anglican. They read from a modern translation, not even the RSV. OYVEH.  "He that believeth in me, though he die yet shall he live" became "If you believe in me then you will live after death." I cringed so hard my cringer broke.

The most awful I ever heard was "Forgive them father they don't know what they are doing", as if they were inept crucifiers.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Mirror Image

Steve Reich enjoying a laugh at what appears to be a rehearsal:

NikF

My best friend/studio assistant/arch nemesis has just sent this gif to my new super phone. I'd no idea why until I had a quick Google...

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Principal conductor of my local orchestra. I admire this guy so much. And I sat fairly close to him at a chamber music concert that featured a composition written by his son as well as premieres by a few local composers. This photo is wonderful though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on August 16, 2016, 02:04:47 AM
Principal conductor of my local orchestra. I admire this guy so much. And I sat fairly close to him at a chamber music concert that featured a composition written by his son as well as premieres by a few local composers. This photo is wonderful though.

Great conductor. Some of the greatest Elgar performances around. His take on Elgar's Symphony No. 2 with the Philharmonia Orchestra still gives me goosebumps. Oh, I suppose he's done some other good work as well. ;) I have picked up his Ives recently (w/ the Melbourne SO on Chandos) but I haven't heard either recording yet.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 16, 2016, 08:32:30 PM
Great conductor. Some of the greatest Elgar performances around. His take on Elgar's Symphony No. 2 with the Philharmonia Orchestra still gives me goosebumps. Oh, I suppose he's done some other good work as well. ;) I have picked up his Ives recently (w/ the Melbourne SO on Chandos) but I haven't heard either recording yet.
imo Melbourne Symphony Orchestra has improved a great deal under Andrew Davis. He's been doing all of Mahler's symphonies with the orchestra over a few years and I saw no. 6 this year as a birthday present  (to myself) and it was probably the best performance i have seen from the orchestra. I've heard he is a really friendly guy as well...one of my friends from school bumped into him at a train station one time...Andrew Davis saw that my friend had an 'I <3 Melbourne Symphony Orchestra' thing on his bag and made the first approach. I haven't heard many Melbourne SO recordings under Davis so I'd be interested to hear what you think!

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on August 16, 2016, 08:39:23 PM
imo Melbourne Symphony Orchestra has improved a great deal under Andrew Davis. He's been doing all of Mahler's symphonies with the orchestra over a few years and I saw no. 6 this year as a birthday present  (to myself) and it was probably the best performance i have seen from the orchestra. I've heard he is a really friendly guy as well...one of my friends from school bumped into him at a train station one time...Andrew Davis saw that my friend had an 'I <3 Melbourne Symphony Orchestra' thing on his bag and made the first approach. I haven't heard many Melbourne SO recordings under Davis so I'd be interested to hear what you think!

Very cool. I'll definitely let you know whenever I get around to these recordings.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jessop on August 16, 2016, 02:04:47 AM

That's my brother's boss. And I've seen his conduct Wozzeck and Parsifal now, both fantastic performances.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jessop on August 16, 2016, 08:39:23 PMI saw no. 6 [Mahler] this year as a birthday present  (to myself)

A better gift I couldn't think of  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ludwigii

Hans Werner Henze mit Igor Strawinsky (1954)

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz