Author Topic: Pictures I like  (Read 576884 times)

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
Re: Pictures I like
« Reply #5040 on: March 15, 2020, 05:03:55 AM »

That's a good one. Grim. Funny. True.
It's all good...

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #5041 on: March 26, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #5042 on: March 26, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #5043 on: March 26, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »
Well, possibly one of my afflictions -  ???  :laugh:  Now stuck in the house w/ a dwindling 'wine cellar' (700+ bottles several decades ago, but now less than 100 bottles!) - maybe I should get online and do some ordering -  :D  Dave

Offline greg

« Reply #5044 on: March 27, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »

Is this scientific at all or no?

I got:
1. Power
2. Man
3. Money

The next two I got are love and connection.
Probably so vague that it's meaningless but still a fun concept.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #5045 on: March 27, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »

I got:
1. Power
2. Man
3. Money

The next two I got are love and connection.
Probably so vague that it's meaningless but still a fun concept.

Creation, connection and power. About 40% of the way down, so whatever the next words were didn’t stand a chance  :D

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #5046 on: March 27, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »

No.

1. Breakthrough
2. purpose
3. strength
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Kaga2

Mostly before 1900, but it’s not a rule
« Reply #5047 on: March 27, 2020, 12:40:57 PM »
Change
Strength
Power

In truth the change is I used to be very strong but now I am tubby. Power must refer to the snowblower.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #5048 on: March 27, 2020, 01:03:07 PM »
Creation
Alignment
Strength
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline greg

« Reply #5049 on: March 27, 2020, 01:49:14 PM »
Seems it should be more specific... like music, diabetes, ramen,etc.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #5050 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »
Lam
Health
Alignment
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
« Reply #5051 on: March 27, 2020, 02:27:35 PM »
Power
Alignment
Family

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #5052 on: March 27, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
Power
Purpose
Connection

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #5053 on: March 27, 2020, 03:11:52 PM »
Lessons
Creation
Gratitude

Offline Iota

« Reply #5054 on: March 27, 2020, 03:50:57 PM »
Health
Strength
Miracles

Offline steve ridgway

A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #5055 on: March 27, 2020, 10:40:14 PM »
Lessons
Creation
Connection

This is very interesting, similar to picking meanings out of Tarot and other types of cards. Last night I watched a programme about the first stars in the universe - “Cosmic Dawn - The Real Moment Of Creation”.

Offline steve ridgway

A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #5056 on: March 28, 2020, 07:07:27 AM »
I usually have fun posting this sort of thing to a Tarot forum, but at the moment it seems to be offline while moving to a new host. The good Tarot readers can see all sorts of meanings in proper Tarot cards, but I struggle and have a lot more background knowledge in science rather than mythology. So I tend to use science based cards such as these on the Solar System, the Elements and a set of postcards of NASA images. I intended to draw one of each then look for meanings related to my three words in the set of three, but as it happened they matched one to one and in sequence. It’s a funny old world.

Lessons - Saturn. The discovery of the rings came as a great surprise, so unexpected that it took 50 years of telescopic observation before someone figured out just what they were looking at. This gives me the idea of lessons that take a long time to learn, maybe life lessons.

Creation - Aluminium. The author created the lumps shown by pouring the molten metal into water for no other reason than to create the photo. The concept of creating for the sheer joy of creation or artistic expression with no utilitarian motive comes to mind.

Connection - Great Salt Desert. There’s not much information on the back of these postcards although it says the desert is in Iran. I looked it up in my old Gallery of Geography which mentioned the important oasis settlement of Yezd where caravans from the east and west met to exchange goods.

Putting these together suggests to me my reality may involve something like a long term lesson to somehow reconcile western scientific knowledge with eastern philosophical ideas. Possibly cosmology and ancient Oriental philosophy might hold similar views on the universe as essentially an immense, evolving work of art to be appreciated rather than say a stage set on which to fight the battles between good and evil.

Offline steve ridgway

« Reply #5057 on: March 28, 2020, 07:08:06 AM »
And the rest...

Offline greg

« Reply #5058 on: March 28, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »
I usually have fun posting this sort of thing to a Tarot forum, but at the moment it seems to be offline while moving to a new host. The good Tarot readers can see all sorts of meanings in proper Tarot cards, but I struggle and have a lot more background knowledge in science rather than mythology. So I tend to use science based cards such as these on the Solar System, the Elements and a set of postcards of NASA images. I intended to draw one of each then look for meanings related to my three words in the set of three, but as it happened they matched one to one and in sequence. It’s a funny old world.

Lessons - Saturn. The discovery of the rings came as a great surprise, so unexpected that it took 50 years of telescopic observation before someone figured out just what they were looking at. This gives me the idea of lessons that take a long time to learn, maybe life lessons.

Creation - Aluminium. The author created the lumps shown by pouring the molten metal into water for no other reason than to create the photo. The concept of creating for the sheer joy of creation or artistic expression with no utilitarian motive comes to mind.

Connection - Great Salt Desert. There’s not much information on the back of these postcards although it says the desert is in Iran. I looked it up in my old Gallery of Geography which mentioned the important oasis settlement of Yezd where caravans from the east and west met to exchange goods.

Putting these together suggests to me my reality may involve something like a long term lesson to somehow reconcile western scientific knowledge with eastern philosophical ideas. Possibly cosmology and ancient Oriental philosophy might hold similar views on the universe as essentially an immense, evolving work of art to be appreciated rather than say a stage set on which to fight the battles between good and evil.
Interesting thoughts!  8)

Sometimes it takes random stuff like my picture to lead to insights, so good to see when it has even more utility than fun alone.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #5059 on: March 28, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo