Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Well, possibly one of my afflictions -  ???  :laugh:  Now stuck in the house w/ a dwindling 'wine cellar' (700+ bottles several decades ago, but now less than 100 bottles!) - maybe I should get online and do some ordering -  :D  Dave

greg

Is this scientific at all or no?

I got:
1. Power
2. Man
3. Money

The next two I got are love and connection.
Probably so vague that it's meaningless but still a fun concept.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

André

Quote from: greg on March 27, 2020, 11:04:28 AM

I got:
1. Power
2. Man
3. Money

The next two I got are love and connection.
Probably so vague that it's meaningless but still a fun concept.

Creation, connection and power. About 40% of the way down, so whatever the next words were didn't stand a chance  :D

North Star

Quote from: greg on March 27, 2020, 11:04:28 AM

No.

1. Breakthrough
2. purpose
3. strength
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Kaga2

Change
Strength
Power

In truth the change is I used to be very strong but now I am tubby. Power must refer to the snowblower.

ritter

Creation
Alignment
Strength

greg

Seems it should be more specific... like music, diabetes, ramen,etc.

Mahlerian

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Ratliff

Power
Alignment
Family

George

Power
Purpose
Connection
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Lessons
Creation
Gratitude
Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

Health
Strength
Miracles

steve ridgway

Lessons
Creation
Connection

This is very interesting, similar to picking meanings out of Tarot and other types of cards. Last night I watched a programme about the first stars in the universe - "Cosmic Dawn - The Real Moment Of Creation".

steve ridgway

I usually have fun posting this sort of thing to a Tarot forum, but at the moment it seems to be offline while moving to a new host. The good Tarot readers can see all sorts of meanings in proper Tarot cards, but I struggle and have a lot more background knowledge in science rather than mythology. So I tend to use science based cards such as these on the Solar System, the Elements and a set of postcards of NASA images. I intended to draw one of each then look for meanings related to my three words in the set of three, but as it happened they matched one to one and in sequence. It's a funny old world.

Lessons - Saturn. The discovery of the rings came as a great surprise, so unexpected that it took 50 years of telescopic observation before someone figured out just what they were looking at. This gives me the idea of lessons that take a long time to learn, maybe life lessons.

Creation - Aluminium. The author created the lumps shown by pouring the molten metal into water for no other reason than to create the photo. The concept of creating for the sheer joy of creation or artistic expression with no utilitarian motive comes to mind.

Connection - Great Salt Desert. There's not much information on the back of these postcards although it says the desert is in Iran. I looked it up in my old Gallery of Geography which mentioned the important oasis settlement of Yezd where caravans from the east and west met to exchange goods.

Putting these together suggests to me my reality may involve something like a long term lesson to somehow reconcile western scientific knowledge with eastern philosophical ideas. Possibly cosmology and ancient Oriental philosophy might hold similar views on the universe as essentially an immense, evolving work of art to be appreciated rather than say a stage set on which to fight the battles between good and evil.

steve ridgway

And the rest...

greg

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 28, 2020, 07:07:27 AM
I usually have fun posting this sort of thing to a Tarot forum, but at the moment it seems to be offline while moving to a new host. The good Tarot readers can see all sorts of meanings in proper Tarot cards, but I struggle and have a lot more background knowledge in science rather than mythology. So I tend to use science based cards such as these on the Solar System, the Elements and a set of postcards of NASA images. I intended to draw one of each then look for meanings related to my three words in the set of three, but as it happened they matched one to one and in sequence. It's a funny old world.

Lessons - Saturn. The discovery of the rings came as a great surprise, so unexpected that it took 50 years of telescopic observation before someone figured out just what they were looking at. This gives me the idea of lessons that take a long time to learn, maybe life lessons.

Creation - Aluminium. The author created the lumps shown by pouring the molten metal into water for no other reason than to create the photo. The concept of creating for the sheer joy of creation or artistic expression with no utilitarian motive comes to mind.

Connection - Great Salt Desert. There's not much information on the back of these postcards although it says the desert is in Iran. I looked it up in my old Gallery of Geography which mentioned the important oasis settlement of Yezd where caravans from the east and west met to exchange goods.

Putting these together suggests to me my reality may involve something like a long term lesson to somehow reconcile western scientific knowledge with eastern philosophical ideas. Possibly cosmology and ancient Oriental philosophy might hold similar views on the universe as essentially an immense, evolving work of art to be appreciated rather than say a stage set on which to fight the battles between good and evil.
Interesting thoughts!  8)

Sometimes it takes random stuff like my picture to lead to insights, so good to see when it has even more utility than fun alone.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Lessons
Creation
Love

Yes, that would fit.

I suppose the idea is that our subconcious picks out words that have special meanimg to us.

Although the second triad of words I noticed is less promising.

Doe
Pry
Ski

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

greg

Quote from: Florestan on March 28, 2020, 10:36:29 AM
1. strength
2. pope
3. connect
You Catholic?

Quote from: JBS on March 28, 2020, 10:40:06 AM
I suppose the idea is that our subconcious picks out words that have special meanimg to us.
That's what I was thinking.

But the difficult part is that there's no way to scientifically prove this.

Also, when I look again I usually get some different words. Probably the only semi-scientific way would be super-specific words, like favorite foods, health conditions, composer names (that anyone can recognize), etc. that are obviously important to that specific person, rather than stuff a bunch of basic words that are universally important to everyone.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy