Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

A nice thought - and gesture - indeed !

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

greg

So some random recommended video that popped up on youtube, don't know this guy.

But I looked at it and made a wild guess that this dude was either Swedish or Norwegian. Then I watched, and he is Swedish.

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDkg2RphY5k

Over time have interacted, or become familiar with, more people online from these countries. So must be picking up on something.

Looking at this thumbnail, he could be some guy walking around in Kansas. Why exactly did I guess correctly? Anyone have any idea why?
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

Ok, thought about it a few minutes... probably the main thing is that short nose that northern Europeans tend to have. That's the main thing that points to genetics, probably, because it's kinda rare for people in the US to have that kind of nose. And you only see it on Northern Europeans.

That hairstyle and scenery is just very typical Scandanavian, but I think it's the nose that pushed my guess to be more confident in the first place. That hairstyle and weather isn't quite as uncommon in the US.

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on December 31, 2020, 06:37:05 AM
;D

Honestly, would you have thought even for a second that such a cemetery existed in the easternmost corner of Romania?

I visited it twice. There are Englisihmen, Frenchmen, Germans, Turks, Greeks and Romanians, all resting in peace together.
Perhaps something to think about?

Just back from several hours of grocery shopping (did take a short look around in a record store with a friend before all of the shopping  :) ).  Need to fix something to eat and then will dive into the music....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Copland's signature:

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on January 07, 2021, 06:45:28 PM

Always one in a crowd.
I suspect that there are now a bunch of botanists wanting seeds from that plant to examine what might make that one act so differently.

Pohjolas Daughter

André

Mirror Image

Shostakovich's signature:

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Villa-Lobos' signature:

Mirror Image

pjme

A great portrait of Prokofiev!
Mme.Ostrova's name is new to me. Not much info on the internet.

Lydia (Leah) Ostrova was born in Sochi in 1914. 
She studied in the workshop of Isaak Brodsky at the Repin Institute in St. Petersburg, which she graduated from in 1939.  After the war she later went on to teach at the Repin Institute.  Ostrova's oeuvre is associated with the core group of artists active at the Academic Dacha in the Tver region.  There she painted many of her most iconic works; well-known paintings of flowers and young children that can be included with the works of her peers Nikolai Timkov, Yuri Kugach, Vladimir Gavrilov, Alexei Gritsai and the Tkachev Brothers.  She passed away in 2009 and today her work is in the collections of many Russian museums, including The Russian State Museum in St. Petersburg and in private collections worldwide.
Source: https://vailgallery.com/artist/lydia-ostrova

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 19, 2021, 12:06:27 AM

She studied in the workshop of Isaak Brodsky at the Repin Institute in St. Petersburg, which she graduated from in 1939.  After the war she later went on to teach at the Repin Institute.  Ostrova's oeuvre is associated with the core group of artists active at the Academic Dacha in the Tver region.  There she painted many of her most iconic works; well-known paintings of flowers and young children that can be included with the works of her peers Nikolai Timkov, Yuri Kugach, Vladimir Gavrilov, Alexei Gritsai and the Tkachev Brothers.  She passed away in 2009 and today her work is in the collections of many Russian museums, including The Russian State Museum in St. Petersburg and in private collections worldwide.

It is, indeed. I couldn't find much about her either. Thanks for posting this bio here.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on January 18, 2021, 06:31:04 PM

A one-year old orangoutang and two five-week old leopard cubs:  a nice story about them (in a South Carolina wildlife refuge).  Sweet!  :)

Quote from: pjme on January 19, 2021, 12:06:27 AM

Yes, a lovely portrait!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Some rather interesting (or interesting to me at least) photos of Delius that aren't easy to come by:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2021, 07:20:23 AM
Some rather interesting (or interesting to me at least) photos of Delius that aren't easy to come by:

Nice!
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Bartok's signature: