Author Topic: Pictures I like  (Read 775607 times)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Pictures I like
« Reply #5660 on: July 14, 2022, 12:38:08 AM »
North Carolina Mountain Trip - in our home town of Winston Salem the temps have been in the 90º F with high humidity, so we planned a mountain home rental in Seven Devils near Banner Elk (see map and web pic of house rented) - we're up 4782 ft (iPhone app) - last two pics my own from the upper deck - click on the last panoramic view (Sugar Mountain is in the distance).  Dave :)

Looks beautiful.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #5661 on: July 27, 2022, 06:40:43 AM »
North Carolina Mountain Trip - in our home town of Winston Salem the temps have been in the 90º F with high humidity, so we planned a mountain home rental in Seven Devils near Banner Elk (see map and web pic of house rented) - we're up 4782 ft (iPhone app) - last two pics my own from the upper deck - click on the last panoramic view (Sugar Mountain is in the distance).  Dave :)

(...)

(...)

Really beautiful and lush, looks like a lovely place to stay.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 08:51:17 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #5662 on: July 27, 2022, 08:47:30 AM »
'Our guy has won a cycling race' ...
Copenhagen today  ;D

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #5663 on: July 27, 2022, 09:03:35 AM »

Some birds can see in the UV.
Great images!  I've been enjoying watching and learning more about birds--particularly over the past few years and, yes, it's fascinating to read about what they can see, how their bodies work, etc.  Great choice of the illustrator to feature the European starling in their example (an already--by human standards in any event--a very colorful bird).  :)

Looks like a lovely place to retreat to!  Hope that you enjoyed your visit?

• Veteran member
« Reply #5664 on: July 27, 2022, 09:09:25 AM »
'Our guy has won a cycling race' ...
Copenhagen today  ;D
I had heard that a Danish cyclist had won, I think that it was, one of the stages/sprints/shirts earlier in the race? but haven't been following it closely this year.  Sorry that I missed it!  Any idea how many people showed up to celebrate his accomplishments?  In any event, congrats!  :)

PD

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #5665 on: July 27, 2022, 09:17:37 AM »
I had heard that a Danish cyclist had won, I think that it was, one of the stages/sprints/shirts earlier in the race? but haven't been following it closely this year.  Sorry that I missed it!  Any idea how many people showed up to celebrate his accomplishments?  In any event, congrats!  :)

PD

No, it was a bit more than than that, he won the entire Tour de France, over 3 weeks. 3 years ago this shy guy was only a quarter-professional, working at a fish factory from 6 AM until noon. Insinuations of doping on the current cycling team seem unfounded, since he's always had very good physical test results and rode the Alpe d'Huez in 47 minutes when he was 16, besides the constant doping testing nowadays.

I haven't seen the estimate yet, but people were standing along the cortege from the airport to town too, and there was a gathering in the Tivoli Gardens later. Maybe-maybe 200,000 in total. I went as well, for the fun - stood among the long row of trees at the end of the square ... :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:20:12 AM by MusicTurner »

• Veteran member
« Reply #5666 on: July 27, 2022, 09:29:58 AM »
No, it was a bit more than than that, he won the entire Tour de France, over 3 weeks. 3 years ago this shy guy was only a quarter-professional, working at a fish factory from 6 AM until noon. Insinuations of doping on the current cycling team seem unfounded, since he's always had very good physical test results and rode the Alpe d'Huez in 47 minutes when he was 16, besides the constant doping testing nowadays.

I haven't seen the estimate yet, but people were standing along the cortege from the airport to town too, and there was a gathering in the Tivoli Gardens later. Maybe-maybe 200,000 in total. I went as well, for the fun - stood among the long row of trees at the end of the square ... :)
No, I understood from what you said that he had won the event.  ;)  I had just meant that I had only caught a tiny [fragment] of news re Le Tour this year....more in passing.  In any event, delighted for him and your country!  And cool that you also went there too!  8)  And neat story of his rise from fish factory worker to a professional cyclist and winner of a major (understatement) event!  ;D

PD

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #5667 on: July 29, 2022, 03:32:24 AM »
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Bach, Debussy, etc