Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2008, 04:42:14 PM
I dwell in Houston.  :)

Cool! Nice place (for a city). I came here from Dallas. Also a nice place (for a city). Nacogdoches doesn't have a symphony or an opera, so you have the advantage of me. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Haydn Piano Trios 41 - 45 - Levin / Beths / Bylsma - Haydn Trio in Eb for Piano & Strings #45 2nd mvmt
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 12tone. on January 21, 2008, 04:48:16 PM
Yeah, down in Texas I bet it gets warm  :(  Too warm for me. 

Here's some 'cool down' photos for you!  :D

A winter festival in I think Manitoba:

Careful!

Super bass!

That Manitoba pictures brings back memories. We used to have an ice sculpture festival every winter in Vermont. Always a favorite thing to do. :)

The whiteout brings back memories too. Like, why I left Vermont... ;)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Haydn Piano Trios 41 - 45 - Levin / Beths / Bylsma - Haydn Trio in Eb for Piano & Strings #45 2nd mvmt

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2008, 04:53:58 PM
Cool! Nice place (for a city). I came here from Dallas. Also a nice place (for a city). Nacogdoches doesn't have a symphony or an opera, so you have the advantage of me. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Houston hardly has a symphony. I don't really visit it much - just missed Eine Alpensinfonie this weekend - because I have never been to a HSO performance that I thought was all that good. They do not play with much conviction or intensity; the San Antonio Symphony Orchestra may not technically be a finer ensemble but they have more guts and energy and passion. Heck, for that matter, Rice University's student orchestra has all those things in spades. We have the best orchestra in Houston right on campus! :) Coming up next month - symphonies by Barber (No 1) and Rachmaninov (No 2).  8)

Of course, the Houston Grand Opera is amazing.  :D

12tone.

OP!!! OP!!! GURN!!!  IT'S CRACKDOWN TIME!!!!

BANNED!11

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2008, 05:58:45 PM
Houston hardly has a symphony. I don't really visit it much - just missed Eine Alpensinfonie this weekend - because I have never been to a HSO performance that I thought was all that good. They do not play with much conviction or intensity; the San Antonio Symphony Orchestra may not technically be a finer ensemble but they have more guts and energy and passion. Heck, for that matter, Rice University's student orchestra has all those things in spades. We have the best orchestra in Houston right on campus! :) Coming up next month - symphonies by Barber (No 1) and Rachmaninov (No 2).  8)

Of course, the Houston Grand Opera is amazing.  :D

Pity, at one time it was well-regarded, or so I heard. But being a student is great for you, students I know have the best choices of live music.

Yes, I've heard that. Some day, the stars will be fortuitous, and me and Figaro will get together there. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimenti Vol. 1, No. 1-3 - Hamburg Soloists / Emil Klein - Hob 03 01 Divertimento in Bb for String Quartet 5th mvmt - Presto

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 12tone. on January 21, 2008, 06:03:45 PM
OP!!! OP!!! GURN!!!  IT'S CRACKDOWN TIME!!!!

BANNED!11

I don't know, those are some very fine pictures. You have to admit, the man has taste... It's Art! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimenti Vol. 1, No. 1-3 - Hamburg Soloists / Emil Klein - Hob 03:02 Divertimento in Eb for String Quartet 1st mvmt - Allegro molto

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2008, 06:12:58 PM
Pity, at one time it was well-regarded, or so I heard. But being a student is great for you, students I know have the best choices of live music.

Yes, I've heard that. Some day, the stars will be fortuitous, and me and Figaro will get together there. :D

8)
The HSO is still well-regarded ... just not by those of us who go to the Rice concerts for free.  ;D

Hey, starting this weekend the HGO is putting on Die Zauberflote. I will be going twice!  :o

And by the way, that girl's hair is, uh, well-arranged. Or not.  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2008, 06:16:54 PM
The HSO is still well-regarded ... just not by those of us who go to the Rice concerts for free.  ;D

Hey, starting this weekend the HGO is putting on Die Zauberflote. I will be going twice!  :o

And by the way, that girl's hair is, uh, well-arranged. Or not.  ;D

Ah, I see your POV now. :)

Drat, too late to make plans  :(

It's nearly perfectly arranged, IMO. ;)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimenti Vol. 1, No. 1-3 - Hamburg Soloists / Emil Klein - Hob 03:02 Divertimento in Eb for String Quartet 1st mvmt - Allegro molto

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2008, 06:19:06 PM

Drat, too late to make plans  :(

Oh no, it runs into February. Specifically January 25, 27, February 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2008, 06:29:29 PM
Oh no, it runs into February. Specifically January 25, 27, February 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.  :)

Ah, that's different. Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can do with it. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimenti Vol. 1, No. 1-3 - Hamburg Soloists / Emil Klein - Hob 03:03 Divertimento in D for String Quartet 2nd mvmt - Menuetto - Trio

Lethevich

It's not an interesting picture, but an interesting statement that would be a shame not to share. From Wikipedia:

"Antônio Carlos Gomes (July 11, 1836 — September 16, 1896) is one of the most distinguished nineteenth century classical composers"

It's just... profoundly left-field on a level I've never before encountered.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

George

Quote from: Lethe on January 22, 2008, 08:59:38 AM
It's not an interesting picture, but an interesting statement that would be a shame not to share. From Wikipedia:

"Antônio Carlos Gomes (July 11, 1836 — September 16, 1896) is one of the most distinguished nineteenth century classical composers"

It's just... profoundly left-field on a level I've never before encountered.

Perhaps they were referring to his garments?

Lethevich

;D In older life, be began to resemble Richard Pryor...

George

paulb

so i brought up the GMG page and this lovely art work appeared.
anyone know the artist?

what i like about the painting is this was from  pre-implant era ;D

paulb

so can anyone take a  guess at the artist.
Matisse?

EDIT
found it in LESS THAN 5 minutes!!

Modigliano!

http://www.canvaz.com/gallery/211.htm

orbital

Modigliani. Except the painting is tilted here. It is called Reclining Nude

edit: you already got it  :)

Lethevich

Apoclolypse now...

Edit:

Oh, and interestingly this showed at the top of the page in the religion thread:

Kullervo

Check out the pseudo-Blade Runner font. That guy's a replicant.