Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on April 08, 2020, 08:09:58 AM
It is, thanks for posting it.

My pleasure. His other paintings are all rural/pastoral type scenes. The 'Oak Tree Splintered by Lightning' must have been the equivalent of Suk's 'Asrael Symphony' in his oeuvre.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 29, 2020, 02:57:17 AM
My pleasure. His other paintings are all rural/pastoral type scenes. The 'Oak Tree Splintered by Lightning' must have been the equivalent of Suk's 'Asrael Symphony' in his oeuvre.

Are you familiar with Aivazovsky's oeuvre?  My favorite Russian painter hands down. Most of his paintings are pure Sturm und Drang at sea.

I have seen live the Black Sea during a storm (fortunately, I was at safe distance on the shore). I swear the colors are exactly like above.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on April 29, 2020, 07:40:14 AM
Are you familiar with Aivazovsky's oeuvre?  My favorite Russian painter hands down. Most of his paintings are pure Sturm und Drang at sea.

I have seen live the Black Sea during a storm (fortunately, I was at safe distance on the shore). I swear the colors are exactly like above.
Beautiful work and the colors of that sea are amazing!
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 29, 2020, 08:42:30 AM
Beautiful work and the colors of that sea are amazing!

https://www.freeart.com/gallery/a/aivazovsky/aivazovsky.html

I once had a painting of his as my avatar. It blended perfectly with the GMG's blue-nuanced layout.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on April 29, 2020, 08:57:37 AM
https://www.freeart.com/gallery/a/aivazovsky/aivazovsky.html

I once had a painting of his as my avatar. It blended perfectly with the GMG's blue-nuanced layout.
;D  I love particularly (in your example above) how he did that light turquoise (more like an alexandrite stone) and the way that it looks like you can see through it.
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 08, 2020, 07:42:46 AM
This was on the front of a Myaskovsky CD and is called:
'Oak Tree Splintered by Lightning. Allegory on the Artist's Wife's Death' by M. Vorobiev (1842).
I think it's an extraordinary painting:

That one is cool as well.  Would love to see it live.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

I love this artist's lithographs--Stow Wengenroth.  Would love to get one of his owl prints: 

He's done ones of a number of types of birds including Red-winged blackbirds, black-capped chickadees, etc.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

André

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 29, 2020, 10:40:38 AM
;D  I love particularly (in your example above) how he did that light turquoise (more like an alexandrite stone) and the way that it looks like you can see through it.

He was a genius, no doubt!

SimonNZ

on my page-a-day art calendar at home:

on the ever-changing screen saver at work:

(Legzira Beach, Sidi Ifni, Morocco)

steve ridgway

The state of "Crossover" in France, 1970 8).

Carlo Gesualdo

me and my girlfriend to be, if I SEDUCE HER PROPPERi have her and knowned her since 10 years, she sweet , kind, funny, sexy she all that in one women, one hot babe...she on my facebook needless to says , I LOVE HER TOO DEATH AND SHE KNOW, WE ARE CLOSE VERY CLOSE FRIEND. SHE LIVE IN VEGAS i live in montreal quebec canada.

:)

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

geralmar

Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy; The Unforgiven (1960).

FelixSkodi

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on April 29, 2020, 07:40:14 AM

Just seen this. What a great painting. Never heard of him. Will look him up. Would be a great cover image for Sibelius's or Nystroem's 'The Tempest'!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

FelixSkodi