Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 20, 2008, 07:24:16 AM
One of my favorite views, I've seen it a hundred times but finally had the wit to take a picture the other night. A storm had just passed through and was now to the east, and the sun was going down behind me. From my front porch:

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Lausanne CO / López-Cobos - Resphigi Ancient Airs Suite 3 pt 3

What kind of wildlife have you seen out your door Gurn?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on January 21, 2008, 08:21:27 AM

What kind of wildlife have you seen out your door Gurn?

Actually, an amazing amount, Bill. Bobcats (even a puma once!) and coyotes, raccoons, all sorts of small mammals (like skunks! Ewww!). And deer. Hundreds of them. Also an amazing number and variety of birds. They come here to overwinter. So at this time of year, there will be flocks of hundreds of robins, gold finches, cardinals, bluebirds etc. etc. And several different kinds of hawks and owls. The forested part of East Texas, which this is the center of, is one of the best parts of North America for observing critters of all kinds. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Kullervo

Gurn, your land is my ideal!

Gurn Blanston

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bhodges

Fantastic photo, Prof. Blanston!  :o  And the variety of wildlife only enhances it...although with all those deer, birds and everything else, nighttime must be quite a high-traffic zone around your house.  ;D

--Bruce

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: bhodges on January 21, 2008, 12:27:36 PM
Fantastic photo, Prof. Blanston!  :o  And the variety of wildlife only enhances it...although with all those deer, birds and everything else, nighttime must be quite a high-traffic zone around your house.  ;D

--Bruce

Well, here's a bit of wildlife. Not as nice a day, but I guess they thought so. :)

----------------
Now playing:
Les Concert de Nations / Jordi Savall - Bia 406 Op 55 Symphony #3 in Eb 1st mvmt - Allegro con brio

bhodges

Amazing.  They must like listening to HIP recordings while grazing...

--Bruce

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2008, 01:56:51 PM
Well, here's a bit of wildlife. Not as nice a day, but I guess they thought so. :)

----------------
Now playing:
Les Concert de Nations / Jordi Savall - Bia 406 Op 55 Symphony #3 in Eb 1st mvmt - Allegro con brio

Very nice.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on January 21, 2008, 02:06:30 PM
Very nice.

As long as they aren't eating your garden (and grapes and fruit trees and... :(:)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Les Concert de Nations / Jordi Savall - Bia 406 Op 55 Symphony #3 in Eb 2nd mvmt - Marche funebre: Adagio assai

Brian

Quote from: Wurstwasser on January 19, 2008, 09:33:32 AM
The more the western world preaches abandonment in an ugly, lemming like political correctness way, the more I like this Sibelius picture. So sardonic, haha ... "stop whining about africa, just pass me a cigar",,,, :)

Peter Boyle would have made a good Sibelius, if his life had been made into a movie.

Here Jean Sibelius seduces a young Swedish dame.  ;D

12tone.

Gurn:

Aren't those 'golden trees against dark gray clouds' the best!  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 12tone. on January 21, 2008, 03:57:38 PM
Gurn:

Aren't those 'golden trees against dark gray clouds' the best!  ;D

Yes indeed, I think they are lovely in winter. The foliage turns colors like in the north, but many of them don't lose most of their leaves until the new ones come on in spring. So in the sunshine, they stay colored all winter long. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Michel Corrette: Les délices de la solitude - Les Voix Humaines - Concerto in D for 2 Cellos, Viola da Gamba & Bassoon Le Phénix 3rd mvmt - Allegro

12tone.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2008, 04:09:52 PM
Yes indeed, I think they are lovely in winter. The foliage turns colors like in the north, but many of them don't lose most of their leaves until the new ones come on in spring. So in the sunshine, they stay colored all winter long. :)

8)

Where are you again?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 12tone. on January 21, 2008, 04:11:26 PM
Where are you again?

The far eastern part of Texas. About 150 miles due north of Houston. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Marais Pieces for 3 Viols Book IV - Les Voix humaines / Wieland Kuijken - Suite 2 in G 01st mvmt - Caprice

12tone.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2008, 04:13:39 PM

8)

Cool.  Very nice down there.  What you have there is very similar to our 'Prairie' provinces:  Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  Very beautiful flat lands.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 12tone. on January 21, 2008, 04:15:49 PM
Cool.  Very nice down there.  What you have there is very similar to our 'Prairie' provinces:  Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  Very beautiful flat lands.

Rolling hills here, actually, although the camera tends to flatten them out. Being from Vermont originally, I would have thought it was flat here too, except I have seen REAL flatlands, like along the Mississippi River. Unbelievable, if you've never seen them. Your prairies ARE lovely, especially when you get close to the Rockies. I've been back and forth from Vancouver to Montreal a couple of times. One of the most beautiful drives ever. But damn, it's cold, even in the summer!  :o  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Marais Pieces for 3 Viols Book IV - Les Voix humaines / Wieland Kuijken - Suite 2 in G 02nd mvmt - Allemande (gai)

12tone.

Cold in the summer?  What are you talking about?  It gets up to 25 Celsius...maybe 30  :o  Which is what?  77 - 86 Fahrenheit.  Wouldn't want any hotter than that  :o

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 12tone. on January 21, 2008, 04:31:46 PM
Cold in the summer?  What are you talking about?  It gets up to 25 Celsius...maybe 30  :o  Which is what?  77 - 86 Fahrenheit.  Wouldn't want any hotter than that  :o

I guess that's a nice overnight temp... ;D  (we do 35 - 37° here rather routinely). I spent a week traveling through western Montana, sleeping in a tent. It was late July, and at night it got down to almost freezing. And this wasn't in the mountains either. Maybe it was a fluke, but the memory lingers. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Marais Pieces for 3 Viols Book IV - Les Voix humaines / Wieland Kuijken - Suite 2 in G 08th mvmt - Rondeau (gai)

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2008, 04:13:39 PM

8)

I dwell in Houston.  :)

12tone.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2008, 04:35:59 PM
I guess that's a nice overnight temp... ;D  (we do 35 - 37° here rather routinely). I spent a week traveling through western Montana, sleeping in a tent. It was late July, and at night it got down to almost freezing. And this wasn't in the mountains either. Maybe it was a fluke, but the memory lingers. :)

8)

Yeah, down in Texas I bet it gets warm  :(  Too warm for me. 

Here's some 'cool down' photos for you!  :D

A winter festival in I think Manitoba:

Careful!

Super bass!