Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: pjme on October 30, 2020, 01:46:12 AM
This makes me think of the Flemish "Bond zonder naam"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This social-critical organisation (The nameless alliance) tries to inspire (since 1947) the masses with monthly free sayings and maxims.
https://www.bzn.be/nl/home

You should apply Greg!
Lol, well if that stuff helps some people then I guess it has some value.

Too bad my browser isn't translating that website...

I modeled it after some of the cheesy inspirational pictures you see often on Facebook...
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on October 31, 2020, 06:45:40 PM

Cute (and clever) George!  :D

Saw this jaw-dropping photo today.  I'll provide a link to the story here:  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54780430

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

JBS

Quote from: Todd on November 27, 2020, 08:25:06 AM

Which conductor/orchestra had this special vocal soloist?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

George

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on November 27, 2020, 08:25:06 AM

Love it!  When a cat wants some loving, it doesn't matter where or when.  :D  Hopefully, though, it was before they had started playing?  :o

PD

p.s.  Thanks George (I just saw your posting whilst I was typing my reply)!  I see that it was a stray; maybe it was hoping that someone would feed it?  I hope that it managed to find a forever home due to this.
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on October 07, 2020, 07:45:11 AM

Irrefutable evidence that Rachmaninoff smiled at least once.

Indeed...

The reason he didn't smile much, and this was to his own admittance, is because he was a shy person in general.

Mirror Image

Here's one I did of Arnie, Alban and Anton:

George

JBS

Via Charles Downey

The replies to the tweet that posted this included one that said "The Venn diagram of people who can understand this and the people who cringe at it must be a perfect circle."

Wendell_E

Quote from: JBS on November 29, 2020, 05:32:55 PM
Via Charles Downey

The replies to the tweet that posted this included one that said "The Venn diagram of people who can understand this and the people who cringe at it must be a perfect circle."

But the bottom one should also be a treble clef!
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

JBS

Quote from: Wendell_E on November 30, 2020, 02:15:52 AM
But the bottom one should also be a treble clef!

Hence the cringeworthiness.

Todd

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on December 01, 2020, 01:22:52 PM

What is the photo of?  Certainly of something in disrepair.
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on December 01, 2020, 02:40:58 PM

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/1/21754959/arecibo-observatory-platform-collapse-dish-puerto-rico-telescope

Thank you André.  I ran across an article on the BBC website a short time ago.  I was sorry to read about it.  I don't understand why Todd liked it.  It's a loss to the world.

From a BBC article:

"What is the history of the telescope?
By Paul Rincon, Science editor, BBC News website
The telescope was built in the early 1960s, with the intention of studying the ionised upper part of Earth's atmosphere, the ionosphere. But it was soon being used as an all-purpose radio observatory.
Radio astronomy is a field within the larger discipline that observes objects in the Universe by studying them at radio frequencies. A number of cosmic phenomena such as pulsars - magnetised, rotating stars - show emission at radio wavelengths.
The observatory provided the first solid evidence for a type of object known as a neutron star. It was also used to identify the first example of a binary pulsar (two magnetised neutron stars orbiting around a common centre of mass), which earned its discoverers the Nobel Prize in Physics.
The telescope helped to make the first definitive detection of exoplanets, planetary bodies orbiting other stars, in 1992.
It has also been used to listen for signals from intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmos and to track near-Earth asteroids.
Over the years, the main dish appeared as a location in movies, including GoldenEye, Pierce Brosnan's first outing as James Bond in 1995, and the 1997 science fiction drama Contact, starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey."

I'm sorry that they weren't able to keep it up.   :(  Glad though that no one was injured when it collapsed.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

And for the hundredth time Todd's "pictures I like" is of the misfortune of others.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 01, 2020, 09:43:39 PM
And for the hundredth time Todd's "pictures I like" is of the misfortune of others.

He's the only GMG member I have on ignore and with good reason.