Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on February 19, 2021, 06:49:47 AM
It was in a "retweeted" item on Laurence Tribe's Twitter page. I don't have a Twitter account and never will, but some people actually tweet useful information on occasion.  ;)
Original post https://twitter.com/DrLindseyFitz/status/692263465910718465

BTW, following the above link I was made aware of the gaffe "John Hopkins" which occurred in the original. Slipped by when I first read it.  ;D
That's o.k. as I missed it too.  And if I didn't notice it, it doesn't count either.  ;D

I love that he has a table in there so one could sit down and have a chat about books, research, ideas, etc., too!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

The late Umberto Eco was known for having a massive library, 30,000 books iirc. I read about it in N. N. Taleb's The Black Swan.

Short video here:

https://www.openculture.com/2017/03/watch-umberto-eco-walk-through-his-immense-private-library.html

JBS

From Twitter. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the instrument or it's history.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

ritter

Quote from: JBS on February 19, 2021, 08:01:09 PM
From Twitter. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the instrument or it's history.
Nice.

Marc Chagall painted the harpsichord's cover in 1980, when he was 93 years old. The instrument was built by the Paris-based American William Dowd, after a 1730 original by Nicolas and François Blanchot. It was presented to the painter by the American Association of Friends of the Marc Chagall Museum in Nice, and AFAIK it's kept there and used for concerts.

https://www.lemonde.fr/archives/article/1980/12/30/un-tableau-de-chagall-peinture-sur-clavecin_3072592_1819218.html

Benji

Quote from: JBS on February 19, 2021, 08:01:09 PM

Ritter beat me to the scoop!

So I'll just say the most useful tool for anyone with a picture they like and no context is Google image search - it has a reverse function where you can upload an image and it will display any results it finds.

It's quite 'clever' in that it looks within the image so if you upload, say, an album cover it will often Display results for the album but also the artwork, even where it's covered in text.

ritter

...or just look up "Chagall Harpsichord" or "Chagall Clavecin" in google and see what comes up.  ;)

Good day, Benji.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 20, 2021, 03:29:48 AM
"Chagall Calevecin" in google

This is what I got:

Acestea sunt rezultatele pentru chagall clavecin
Încercați varianta chagall calevecin

Romanian but I'm sure you'll get it.

;D

Good afternooon, amigo!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Good afternoon, Andrei. Yep, it seems google is not that smart that it cannot detect typos... :D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 20, 2021, 03:48:52 AM
Good afternoon, Andrei. Yep, it seems google is not that smart that it cannot detect typos... :D

Actually, calevecin if spelled like cal e vecin means word for word horse is neighbour in Romanian.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

JBS

Quote from: ritter on February 20, 2021, 02:48:50 AM
Nice.

Marc Chagall painted the harpsichord's cover in 1980, when he was 93 years old. The instrument was built by the Paris-based American William Dowd, after a 1730 original by Nicolas and François Blanchot. It was presented to the painter by the American Association of Friends of the Marc Chagall Museum in Nice, and AFAIK it's kept there and used for concerts.

https://www.lemonde.fr/archives/article/1980/12/30/un-tableau-de-chagall-peinture-sur-clavecin_3072592_1819218.html

Thank you!
Quote from: Benji on February 20, 2021, 03:05:21 AM
Ritter beat me to the scoop!

So I'll just say the most useful tool for anyone with a picture they like and no context is Google image search - it has a reverse function where you can upload an image and it will display any results it finds.

It's quite 'clever' in that it looks within the image so if you upload, say, an album cover it will often Display results for the album but also the artwork, even where it's covered in text.

At least on Android, Google has replaced this with Google Lens, which seems to be more limited in its range.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

Was reminded of this 80s-era Life In Hell cartoon at work yesterday. Click to enlarge:

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on March 04, 2021, 01:43:06 PM

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/murmuration-of-starlings-how-our-stunning-front-page-photograph-was-taken-1.4501033
Amazing!  Thank you so much for sharing that!  By the way, if you click on the link that they have on their website (to more of his pictures), there's one to me that looks like a rabbit.  :)  This one:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I rather like this one, which will be hanging on my wall in due time:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 06, 2021, 06:17:30 AM
I rather like this one, which will be hanging on my wall in due time:

That one's very nice.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter