Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 06, 2021, 06:19:36 AM
That one's very nice.  :)

PD

It is, indeed. I'll be celebrating his birthday tomorrow, so I'll have to figure out a listening program.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Received this Debussy portrait many days ago and it's now hanging up on my wall:

André

800 pound seal blocking a road in Prince Edward Island, Canada. The beast moved back to the shore after 90 minutes.

Last week a pup was caught wandering in the streets of Charlottetown. Police arrested him:

This winter's ice sheet in the Gulf of St Lawrence covers only 4% of the Gulf, vs 33% in normal times. This causes the seals to get closer to the shores.

greg

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on March 28, 2021, 12:13:09 PM

800 pound seal blocking a road in Prince Edward Island, Canada. The beast moved back to the shore after 90 minutes.

Last week a pup was caught wandering in the streets of Charlottetown. Police arrested him:

This winter's ice sheet in the Gulf of St Lawrence covers only 4% of the Gulf, vs 33% in normal times. This causes the seals to get closer to the shores.

That's a lot of seal to try and coax back to sea.  Perhaps a bucket of fish might have helped?  :-\

That little guy is so cute!  He's probably thinking:  "But I'm too young to get arrested!"?

André

The cops didn't even try to move the big seal (might have injured it, or themselves, or both). It was unmoved by bait (they tried that). They just waited for it to finish his sunbath on the asphalt  8).

As for the arrested pup, the cops didn't put him in jail. It was safely released on the shore.

All's well that ends well  ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on March 29, 2021, 07:51:15 AM
The cops didn't even try to move the big seal (might have injured it, or themselves, or both). It was unmoved by bait (they tried that). They just waited for it to finish his sunbath on the asphalt  8).

As for the arrested pup, the cops didn't put him in jail. It was safely released on the shore.

All's well that ends well  ;)
Yes, I read that they didn't try to move the *adult and that the pup was released by the water.  8) :)

Fresh fish didn't work!?  :o

PD

p.s.  Good news at Cornell (and hopefully egg no. 2 will be delivered today):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtHCzOFdHw

Pohjolas Daughter

This stray kept breaking into a store and trying to steal a stuffed unicorn--five times!  Animal control called and then some wonderful twists to the story.  :)

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/27/us/dog-steals-purple-unicorn-gets-adopted-trnd/index.html

PD

p.s.  And I just read on Facebook that someone paid for his adoption fee--for someone else to adopt him! 😭💕

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

greg

This is why I love Trash Taste podcast.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: geralmar on April 10, 2021, 06:45:43 PM

The night sky from Earth in four billion years.  (Is this also the view on the opposite side of the planet?)

Oh that is odd I just used this picture in a lecture I gave a few days ago for my Astronomy class.  The theme of the lecture is that galactic evolution is driven by collisions between galaxies.

steve ridgway

Quote from: DavidW on April 11, 2021, 07:29:35 AM
Oh that is odd I just used this picture in a lecture I gave a few days ago for my Astronomy class.  The theme of the lecture is that galactic evolution is driven by collisions between galaxies.

Am I right in thinking "collision" means passing right through each other at first then gradually drawing together and coalescing? The distances between stars being what they are.

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 11, 2021, 10:14:39 AM
Am I right in thinking "collision" means passing right through each other at first then gradually drawing together and coalescing? The distances between stars being what they are.

Sometimes and sometimes they just tear each other apart.  The gravitational pull can also dramatically change the structure of the galaxy even if they don't come together.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

greg

Iota

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 11, 2021, 10:14:39 AM
Quote from: DavidW on April 11, 2021, 11:08:47 AM
Sometimes and sometimes they just tear each other apart.  The gravitational pull can also dramatically change the structure of the galaxy even if they don't come together.

I can't see geralmar's image above, so maybe it's from the same site, but I found this interesting on the merging of the Andromeda galaxy and the Milky Way, with some nice illustrations of what the process will look like to an observer on earth at various stages.
There's an assumption that the merger has actually already started and that we'll eventually form one big elliptical galaxy.

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earths-night-sky-milky-way-andromeda-merge

Quote from: George on April 11, 2021, 05:04:38 PM

:laugh:

SimonNZ

from 2019 but just seeing for the first time now:

The launch of the Russian Soyuz rocket, seen from the International Space Station.