Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: geralmar on April 13, 2021, 07:10:38 PM
On another website I asked if the universe is expanding why in the distant future will the Earth collide with the Andromeda Galaxy?  It was patiently explained that while the universe is indeed expanding, "local groups" of astronomical bodies obey their own gravitational influences.  Or something like that.  Anyway, Andromeda has always been my favorite galaxy so the Earth eventually meeting it up close strikes me as a comforting destiny.

Hubble's law dictates that the expansion rates are proportional to distance.  Recessional velocities due to the Hubble flow are negligible in the local group because the distances are relatively small.  Off the top of my head I think it is 70 km/s per Mpc.  Andromeda is less than a Mpc away.  Relative motion of the galaxies easily overwhelms Hubble expansion which only becomes significant on cosmological scales.

Florestan

Two Romantic Swiss composers

Othmar Schoeck (1886-1957)

Hans Huber (1852-1921)

Both composed high-quality music, give them a try.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

geralmar

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on April 24, 2021, 02:57:55 PM

Aw!  ;D

I stumbled across this article with a number of great photos of chicks and their bird parents.  I particularly love the one of the owl and also the one of the loon with chicks on board.  :)

https://www.audubon.org/news/did-somebody-say-baby-bird-photos
PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 25, 2021, 05:00:58 AM
I stumbled across this article with a number of great photos of chicks and their bird parents.  I particularly love the one of the owl and also the one of the loon with chicks on board.  :)

https://www.audubon.org/news/did-somebody-say-baby-bird-photos
PD

Thanks for the link. Wonderful pics. I love especially the four barn swallows vying for attention. Made me laugh out loud.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on April 25, 2021, 12:08:18 PM

Cute!  I must admit though that I don't get the Smetana one.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 25, 2021, 12:15:37 PM
Thanks for the link. Wonderful pics. I love especially the four barn swallows vying for attention. Made me laugh out loud.

Sarge
Glad that you enjoyed them Sarge!  I loved the way the burrowing owl had its head tilted.  Also, I hadn't realized that owls' eyes are immovable; they have to move their head if they want to see something outside of their field of vision.  Wonder what the sandhill crane parents thought about the Canadian gosling joining their family?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 26, 2021, 11:30:00 AM

SAme here.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 26, 2021, 11:30:00 AMWonder what the sandhill crane parents thought about the Canadian gosling joining their family?  :)

PD

It's strange that many bird species accept chicks that aren't their own. Think about the parent birds that feed and raise cuckoo babies, even though they are sometimes half the size of the cuckoo  ???

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Iota

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 26, 2021, 11:30:00 AM

See for example here, it's sour cream in some Eastern European countries (only just found this out myself, was curious).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 26, 2021, 12:23:31 PM
It's strange that many bird species accept chicks that aren't their own. Think about the parent birds that feed and raise cuckoo babies, even though they are sometimes half the size of the cuckoo  ???

Sarge
Yes,

I heard this story a while ago about eagles raising a red-tailed hawk.  I'll post a link to it under the bird's thread to avoid derailing things here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Iota on April 26, 2021, 01:44:18 PM

See for example here, it's sour cream in some Eastern European countries (only just found this out myself, was curious).
Ah!  Thanks!

Quote from: philoctetes on April 26, 2021, 02:03:46 PM

Neat!  I wonder how those images were created?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

geralmar

Florestan

Akseli Gallen-Kallela - Symposium (1894)

From left to right|: Gallen-Kallela, Oskar Merikanto, Robert Kajanus, Jean Sibelius.

Looks like Merikanto was no match for the others.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

MusicTurner

Yes, 'Smetana' actually means 'cream' in the Czech language  ;D

The pictures somehow show a Swedish product, however.

greg

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Mirror Image

Arnold Schoenberg with his teacher and brother-in-law (at that time), Alexander Zemlinsky:

Mirror Image

Now I've made an expansion to the Second Viennese School with Zemlinsky:

greg

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

steve ridgway