Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabuse

It reminds me another one  ;D

Herbert von Karajan teaching George Szell to raise his arm before turning at the crossroads.
(Photo: Erich Lessing / Salzburg Festival, 1957)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mabuse on June 07, 2021, 06:51:16 AM

Herbert von Karajan teaching George Szell to raise his arm before turning at the crossroads.

;D
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: mabuse on June 07, 2021, 06:51:16 AM

mabuse

The Karate Kid !
That's well seen, Simon :laugh:

mabuse

Yesterday at the Utah Jazz vs Los Angeles Clippers game :

It's good watching the reactions on the faces in the audience  ;D
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3awwK3WEAM7yr5?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Iota

'A sculpture of the G7 leaders shaped like Mount Rushmore made of electronic waste has been erected in Cornwall ahead of the G7 Summit. It has been named "Mount Recyclemore" and bids to highlight the damage caused by the disposal of electronic devices.

Sculptor Joe Rush said he hoped it would show they needed to be made more easily reusable or recyclable.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-57406136

SimonNZ

on the coronavirus thread, but deserves to be reposted here:

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 09, 2021, 04:41:57 PM

:laugh:

greg

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 09, 2021, 04:41:57 PM
If that guy wasn't joking, now would be the time to get on the ground and facepalm through the earth, until you get to the other side.
(unless that person is 10 years old, then maybe it's forgivable)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

steve ridgway

From How to make a grotto cake to celebrate Our Lady of Lourdes - "My children absolutely love this activity because of the creativity and skill involved in crafting the grotto and getting to see the two saints on the cake". 0:)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 13, 2021, 05:53:52 AM
From How to make a grotto cake to celebrate Our Lady of Lourdes - "My children absolutely love this activity because of the creativity and skill involved in crafting the grotto and getting to see the two saints on the cake". 0:)

I hadn't heard of a grotto cake before.  Have you made one before?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 13, 2021, 07:56:10 AM
I hadn't heard of a grotto cake before.  Have you made one before?

No, the outlandish concept and execution must have struck a chord in me the way Eraserhead does. ;)

André

Wouldn't that painting make a great cover for a cd ? It's by Konstantin Fyodorovich Yuon.

Scriabine or Langgaard (Music of the Spheres) maybe?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on June 15, 2021, 05:52:29 PM
Wouldn't that painting make a great cover for a cd ? It's by Konstantin Fyodorovich Yuon.

Scriabine or Langgaard (Music of the Spheres) maybe?
I see that that one is called "New Planet".  Trying to figure out what the people are doing in that scene.  Do you know anything about it André?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 16, 2021, 03:38:21 AM
I see that that one is called "New Planet".  Trying to figure out what the people are doing in that scene.  Do you know anything about it André?

PD

A few things only: that it was painted by Yuon (or Juon), the brother of Paul Juon, a composer I've only just discovered. Second, that he held important positions in the Soviet era (director of the Research Institute of the Academy of Arts (1948–1950), First Secretary of the Union of Soviet Artists (1956–1958), received the Stalin Prize, the Order of Lenin, etc, etc.). Third, that this particular painting does not seem entirely representative of his style :

The last painting is of his wife, Claudia. I particularly like the intimate moment it captures.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on June 16, 2021, 04:46:32 AM

The last painting is of his wife, Claudia. I particularly like the intimate moment it captures.

Just a silly observation, but his wife looks like she's a weightlifter. A rather man-ish woman. :)

André

Don't be so close-minded, John. In the Soviet era women lifted hay balls, cured the sick, flew into space and operated trucks and heavy machinery.

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on June 16, 2021, 12:44:02 PM
Don't be so close-minded, John. In the Soviet era women lifted hay balls, cured the sick, flew into space and operated trucks and heavy machinery.

8)

Of course, I was kidding. ;) Yes, I'm well-aware that most Soviet women slaved their lives away. An utter shame.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Courtesy of the inimitable Philip Proctor
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot