Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: greg on October 10, 2021, 08:52:23 AM
But people largely want politics out of games and movies.

And the critics will be trying to explain to you the ways the politics are baked in to things you think are totally unpolitical entertainments, and are influencing audiences attitudes and expectations at a mass-consumption level.

It makes me laugh that people think Hollywood is left wing. Such a large amount of it is about the "virtue" of individual liberty against anyone questioning your methods or motivations. And especially on the blockbuster level so much is about saying the world can go to hell and billions die as long as the lead character we identify with and his ideal nuclear family are okay.

And the films you call left wing are what? Someone grudgingly acknowledging that that blacks are people too, or women are people too or whoever else they reinforce as minority. Oh, well a round of applause, please. The critics dont lavish the unconditional praise on these things that you may believe they do.

greg

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 10, 2021, 02:58:50 PM
And the critics will be trying to explain to you the ways the politics are baked in to things you think are totally unpolitical entertainments, and are influencing audiences attitudes and expectations at a mass-consumption level.
Right, and to control that maybe we should have some sort of leader that aligns with our political/cultural views and let them decide whether the art we produce is offensive or not.

I especially can't wait for South Park to be censored. In fact, I was hoping they would have let China censor them, but they said screw China and got banned. So hopefully the US will start to censor them, it's not fun at all until creativity is stifled. Because the goal of creative work isn't free expression, it's tying a noose around your neck, or better yet, just being silent because people can interpret anything you say the wrong way and cause harm.

Like, for example, would have been nice if they had banned the song Suicide Solution so that suicidal kid wouldn't have killed himself. May have influenced others. It's all the art's fault, after all, couldn't possibly be any personal problems.

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 10, 2021, 02:58:50 PM
Someone grudgingly acknowledging that that blacks are people too, or women are people too or whoever else they reinforce as minority. Oh, well a round of applause, please.
Do you read extreme right-wing forums frequently or something? Or is "are people too" loaded with some sort of deep hidden meaning that is understood in different circles? I'd like to know who are these people that say women and black people aren't people.

Quote from: DavidW on October 10, 2021, 11:55:52 AM
You only see Fauci as a political figure because you buy Trump rhetoric hook, line and sinker.
I'm not sure exactly what the Trump rhetoric is you're talking about. Just that he is the main guy you see on the political news channels like CNN, so those things have become intertwined. Perhaps if we didn't have news about Covid on the same channels which have a 24-hour strong political bias, then everything concerning Covid, including Fauci, wouldn't be seen as political.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

DavidW

Quote from: greg on October 12, 2021, 09:30:18 PM
Perhaps if we didn't have news about Covid on the same channels which have a 24-hour strong political bias, then everything concerning Covid, including Fauci, wouldn't be seen as political.

What are you on about?  Covid is a global pandemic.  All news sources will cover it regardless of bias one way or the other.  Fox News covers covid and Fauci just as much as CNN does.  You can't get away from it, and this has nothing to do with politics.

Karl Henning

There is no shortage, this is only an angle:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 13, 2021, 01:30:31 PM
There is no shortage, this is only an angle:
:laugh:  Cute!

I found out this news this morning:  5 cheetah cubs were recently born to this mom at the Smithsonian Zoo.

If you want to check out the cuteness live, you can here:  https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams/cheetah-cub-cam

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 14, 2021, 03:27:38 AM
:laugh:  Cute!

I found out this news this morning:  5 cheetah cubs were recently born to this mom at the Smithsonian Zoo.

If you want to check out the cuteness live, you can here:  https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams/cheetah-cub-cam

PD

Chirping cheetah cubs have made a difference in my day!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 14, 2021, 05:45:23 AM
Chirping cheetah cubs have made a difference in my day!
;D Hard to feel stressed when looking at those little ones and a relaxed mother.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

This story of a feasting, sated, then dozed-off dormouse stuck in a bird feeder and the accompanying photos cracked me up; and yes, the dormouse was helped out of there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-54992101

I hadn't realized that they were endangered.   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

greg

So I discovered something cool- art collage maker: https://www.befunky.com/create/collage/

Anyone wanna try? A collection of your personal aesthetics.

Mine attached.

geralmar

John Copeland

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

greg

Collage 2

not gonna lie, i spend a surprising amount of time starting at these collages, i need to learn how to make some good art eventually...

(attachment is compressed, so some loss of quality)

André

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

mabuse

I like this poster:

"At night all cats are gray" ...

That 1977 movie is very little known... I never had the opportunity to see it  >:(

greg

Karl Henning

Sure: a Yankees fan.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on November 06, 2021, 10:36:40 AM

C'est drôle...but in a sad sort of way...if you know what I mean [satirical].

PD
Pohjolas Daughter