Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: greg on October 09, 2021, 11:06:29 AM
LOL
How much you wanna bet the audience score will be horrible while the critics score remains above 90%, just like several instances in the past?
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fauci
Come on, why did nobody bet against me? I wanted to make some money!  :'(

It's 88% critics, 2% audience right now.

This seems to be the main theme from the reviews, why it received low ratings:
QuoteI had already known that this documentary was not well received by many, but I watched with an open mind to learn as much as I could about Fauci. If this documentary had a different purpose, or a different title, I would probably be more forgiving. What do I mean? Well, this was supposed to be a documentary about a public figure. Not a biography, but a documentary about a man's career, no? Covering the many years of service of this man with no mention of any controversy is troubling. It did not mention the wins AND the losses, it just painted him as a dedicated, yet under appreciated man. I wanted to learn as much as I could, so I could formulate an more fact based opinion on Fauci. I can't use this documentary because it was really just a puff piece. It was very one sided. I prefer a documentary that covers all sides; the positives, the negatives, and everything in-between.

Not really wanting to get into a discussion about this, just wanted to share an amusing observation.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

SimonNZ

Now read the critics reviews.

JBS

Found on Twitter

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on November 25, 2021, 10:59:09 AM
Found on Twitter

Hah. Add in "CDs" and subtract "books" and this would be more true to me. :)

Jo498

Quote from: JBS on November 25, 2021, 10:59:09 AM
Found on Twitter

Did I tell the story when I visited someone after several years and found several rows of book shelving in the tiny guest bathroom? With Latin classics and translations...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on November 25, 2021, 11:26:02 AM
Did I tell the story when I visited someone after several years and found several rows of book shelving in the tiny guest bathroom? With Latin classics and translations...

Cloaca maxima?...  ;D

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 25, 2021, 11:14:34 AM
Hah. Add in "CDs" and subtract "books" and this would be more true to me. :)

For me it's both.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on November 25, 2021, 11:28:28 AM
Cloaca maxima?...  ;D

rather minima! It's one of these tiny bathrooms where you can reach the wash basin with your hands while sitting on the toilet, windowless (there is a fan for fresh air) But it's an old building, so there is a lot of headspace. Still, it was rather unexpected to have books there.

The selection of books was probably not intentional. When I expressed my surprise, he told me that he could nor resist a bargain that ended up in driving with his trunk full of classic books from Hamburg to where he lives (about 1.5 hours). He already has a study, a living room and half or so of a kid's room (who can't complain, it's very large room) full of bookshelves. (I think his wife's books are in their bedroom)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on November 25, 2021, 11:59:26 AM
rather minima! It's one of these tiny bathrooms where you can reach the wash basin with your hands while sitting on the toilet, windowless (there is a fan for fresh air) But it's an old building, so there is a lot of headspace. Still, it was rather unexpected to have books there.

The selection of books was probably not intentional. When I expressed my surprise, he told me that he could nor resist a bargain that ended up in driving with his trunk full of classic books from Hamburg to where he lives (about 1.5 hours). He already has a study, a living room and half or so of a kid's room (who can't complain, it's very large room) full of bookshelves. (I think his wife's books are in their bedroom)

Nice! My books are also spread all over the place in two homes.

bhodges

OK, back to pictures on this thread, please. Thank you.  0:)

--Bruce

vandermolen

Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy by David Hockney.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 27, 2021, 02:02:41 PM
Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy by David Hockney.

Interesting painting Jeffrey; I just read about it.  I was thrown off though regarding the size of the bed which seemed to me to be way off perspective-wise.  When I tried to find more information about it, it didn't show that to be in the foreground.  Did he paint it a number of times/versions?  I found what looks like to be a photo of the painting and that wasn't there.  Or did someone have this image painted or "wallpapered" (not certain what you would call it) on the wall behind their bed....more likely.  If so, not a good omen!  ;)

Alas, I see that the couple didn't last.

PD

A favorite of mine:

La Danse à Bougival by Renoir  This image really doesn't do it justice though.  You have to see it in person.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

That renibds me of this Doisneau photo of dancers I like:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 28, 2021, 06:12:56 AM

Nice!   :) Any idea of who the dancers are there? Or where/when it was taken?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Good question. The club Le Vieux Colobier, a cellar bar beneath the Theatre du Vieux Colombier, apparently.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 28, 2021, 06:12:56 AM

I like this...and the woman could be Mrs. Rock's twin.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 28, 2021, 05:12:10 AM
Interesting painting Jeffrey; I just read about it.  I was thrown off though regarding the size of the bed which seemed to me to be way off perspective-wise.  When I tried to find more information about it, it didn't show that to be in the foreground.  Did he paint it a number of times/versions?  I found what looks like to be a photo of the painting and that wasn't there.  Or did someone have this image painted or "wallpapered" (not certain what you would call it) on the wall behind their bed....more likely.  If so, not a good omen!  ;)

Alas, I see that the couple didn't last.

PD

A favorite of mine:

La Danse à Bougival by Renoir  This image really doesn't do it justice though.  You have to see it in person.  :)
The bed shouldn't be there - my apologies. It's not in the original painting. Here's the image from the Tate Gallery website. I think that they look somewhat estranged in the painting (note the distance between them). Sadly he was eventually murdered:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2021, 09:57:54 AM
The bed shouldn't be there - my apologies. It's not in the original painting. Here's the image from the Tate Gallery website. I think that they look somewhat estranged in the painting (note the distance between them). Sadly he was eventually murdered:
Oooh!  :(

I did read somewhere that he apparently he had numerous affairs.  It is an interesting painting though including an untraditional photography setting and I suspect also in painting in that she was not standing next to him (while he's seated) looking like the devoted wife; yet, as you mentioned, they are distanced and also are looking at the painter/viewer rather like a third person who is included in perhaps not just the room, but maybe also in their marriage (just occurred to me)?  And the cat is off in its own world.  The husband (looking at it again now) seems somewhat sullen(?) and distant; he doesn't even have a hand on the cat.

Anyway, just my thoughts!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Speaking of art, I've always loved this painting by Aleksey Savrasov:

For me, it encapsulates the feeling of longing that is so prevalent in Rachmaninov's music.