Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

It's gorgeous indeed. At once realistic and impressionist.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 01, 2021, 09:52:00 AM
I like this...and the woman could be Mrs. Rock's twin.

Sarge

That's the second time I've thought " you lucky bastard". The other one was a picture of an old girlfriend who was,I think, wearing a graduation cap in the photo.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2021, 10:29:15 AM
Oooh!  :(

I did read somewhere that he apparently he had numerous affairs.  It is an interesting painting though including an untraditional photography setting and I suspect also in painting in that she was not standing next to him (while he's seated) looking like the devoted wife; yet, as you mentioned, they are distanced and also are looking at the painter/viewer rather like a third person who is included in perhaps not just the room, but maybe also in their marriage (just occurred to me)?  And the cat is off in its own world.  The husband (looking at it again now) seems somewhat sullen(?) and distant; he doesn't even have a hand on the cat.

Anyway, just my thoughts!

PD
They sound pretty convincing to me PD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 01, 2021, 12:15:25 PM
That's the second time I've thought " you lucky bastard". The other one was a picture of an old girlfriend who was,I think, wearing a graduation cap in the photo.

This one?

She was my high school girlfriend (well, one of them) and then, after graduation, we dated sporadically for five years until we rushed into a marriage which only lasted four years. But yeah, I still consider myself lucky. She was an extraordinary women with whom I'm still on friendly terms. But my greatest piece of luck was meeting the future second Mrs. Rock (who I think bears a resemblance to your dancer).

I like both pictures and so I'm conforming to this thread's topic  :D ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SimonNZ

It always pleases me to hear that old flames / spouses are still on friendly terms. Thanks for that and for the photos.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 01, 2021, 03:56:10 PM
It always pleases me to hear that old flames / spouses are still on friendly terms. Thanks for that...

The divorce was even amicable. We shared a lawyer; the division of property went smoothly; we walked hand in hand to the courthouse (the lawyer asked us seriously if we wanted to go through with it  ;D ); and we've remained friends for 46 years. Lucky indeed.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on December 01, 2021, 12:04:30 PM
It's gorgeous indeed. At once realistic and impressionist.

I like this artist's work in general. He's done some remarkable work.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

George

Mandryka

Michael Finnissy wrote a piece of piano music partly inspired by Edvard Munch's self portraits. As a result I've started to explore these pictures on the internet and I'd like a book with high quality images of them. Can anyone recommend one?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

From today's Boston Globe.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Szykneij on January 23, 2022, 04:43:23 PM
From today's Boston Globe.

All of it bullshit, of course.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on January 24, 2022, 08:36:59 AM
All of it bullshit, of course.  :laugh:
It makes a great story though!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2022, 09:02:43 AM
It makes a great story though!  ;)

PD

For those inclined to take such bullshit seriously.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 01, 2021, 03:18:07 PMShe was my high school girlfriend (well, one of them) and then, after graduation, we dated sporadically for five years until we rushed into a marriage which only lasted four years.

How do you "rush into a marriage" which someone you've been dating for more than 5 years? :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington