Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 12, 2022, 05:03:37 AM
North Carolina Mountain Trip - in our home town of Winston Salem the temps have been in the 90º F with high humidity, so we planned a mountain home rental in Seven Devils near Banner Elk (see map and web pic of house rented) - we're up 4782 ft (iPhone app) - last two pics my own from the upper deck - click on the last panoramic view (Sugar Mountain is in the distance).  Dave :)

Looks beautiful.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

North Carolina Mountain Trip - in our home town of Winston Salem the temps have been in the 90º F with high humidity, so we planned a mountain home rental in Seven Devils near Banner Elk (see map and web pic of house rented) - we're up 4782 ft (iPhone app) - last two pics my own from the upper deck - click on the last panoramic view (Sugar Mountain is in the distance).  Dave :)

(...)

(...)

Really beautiful and lush, looks like a lovely place to stay.

MusicTurner

'Our guy has won a cycling race' ...
Copenhagen today  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 03, 2022, 09:03:31 AM

Some birds can see in the UV.
Great images!  I've been enjoying watching and learning more about birds--particularly over the past few years and, yes, it's fascinating to read about what they can see, how their bodies work, etc.  Great choice of the illustrator to feature the European starling in their example (an already--by human standards in any event--a very colorful bird).  :)

Looks like a lovely place to retreat to!  Hope that you enjoyed your visit?

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 27, 2022, 09:47:30 AM
'Our guy has won a cycling race' ...
Copenhagen today  ;D
I had heard that a Danish cyclist had won, I think that it was, one of the stages/sprints/shirts earlier in the race? but haven't been following it closely this year.  Sorry that I missed it!  Any idea how many people showed up to celebrate his accomplishments?  In any event, congrats!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 27, 2022, 10:09:25 AM
I had heard that a Danish cyclist had won, I think that it was, one of the stages/sprints/shirts earlier in the race? but haven't been following it closely this year.  Sorry that I missed it!  Any idea how many people showed up to celebrate his accomplishments?  In any event, congrats!  :)

PD

No, it was a bit more than than that, he won the entire Tour de France, over 3 weeks. 3 years ago this shy guy was only a quarter-professional, working at a fish factory from 6 AM until noon. Insinuations of doping on the current cycling team seem unfounded, since he's always had very good physical test results and rode the Alpe d'Huez in 47 minutes when he was 16, besides the constant doping testing nowadays.

I haven't seen the estimate yet, but people were standing along the cortege from the airport to town too, and there was a gathering in the Tivoli Gardens later. Maybe-maybe 200,000 in total. I went as well, for the fun - stood among the long row of trees at the end of the square ... :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 27, 2022, 10:17:37 AM
No, it was a bit more than than that, he won the entire Tour de France, over 3 weeks. 3 years ago this shy guy was only a quarter-professional, working at a fish factory from 6 AM until noon. Insinuations of doping on the current cycling team seem unfounded, since he's always had very good physical test results and rode the Alpe d'Huez in 47 minutes when he was 16, besides the constant doping testing nowadays.

I haven't seen the estimate yet, but people were standing along the cortege from the airport to town too, and there was a gathering in the Tivoli Gardens later. Maybe-maybe 200,000 in total. I went as well, for the fun - stood among the long row of trees at the end of the square ... :)
No, I understood from what you said that he had won the event.  ;)  I had just meant that I had only caught a tiny [fragment] of news re Le Tour this year....more in passing.  In any event, delighted for him and your country!  And cool that you also went there too!  8)  And neat story of his rise from fish factory worker to a professional cyclist and winner of a major (understatement) event!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mookalafalas on August 05, 2022, 03:53:30 AM

:laugh: ;D

I like that the son is also holding an old Captain Beefheart album too!  :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Todd

Civilizational revolution.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

Quote from: Todd on August 15, 2022, 12:14:16 PM

Civilizational revolution.

Possibly. Hopefully.

We'll have to see after its actually built and operating and lived in. Has building actually begun?

greg

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige