Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keemun

Mahler 8th - 1916 U.S. Premier - Stokowski/Philadephia Orchestra
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

bhodges

Quote from: Keemun on March 28, 2008, 02:38:18 PM

Mahler 8th - 1916 U.S. Premier - Stokowski/Philadephia Orchestra

This is a great photo--wow!--which I've never seen.  Many thanks for posting it.   8)

--Bruce

Ephemerid

Here's a photo I just remembered of Henry Cowell I've always liked. 

I love it that he accommodates the cat!  LOL

Kullervo

Quote from: sarabande on March 30, 2008, 10:36:35 AM
Here's a photo I just remembered of Henry Cowell I've always liked. 

I love it that he accommodates the cat!  LOL

What is it with composers and cats?  ;D

Lethevich

What is it with composers and tabby cats...

greg

Tabby cats are obviously the best cats for cheesing, which is what composers use to get their best ideas.

Saul

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on March 31, 2008, 05:52:36 AM
Tabby cats are obviously the best cats for cheesing, which is what composers use to get their best ideas.

I don't know of any famous Swiss composers except for Bloch.. ;)

greg

Quote from: Saul on March 31, 2008, 06:15:04 AM
I don't know of any famous Swiss composer except for Bloch.. ;)
oh, it's not that type of cheesing  ;)

Lethevich

"When I initially came across Wagner's Ring it was like a revelation"

"Accusations of anti-semitism make Wagner's Ring a sensitive area today,"

"What you get out of Wagner's Ring depends on what you put into it."

"I first approached Wagner's Ring years ago with some trepidation knowing that many had found it incredibly hard. Fingering between the sheets of this fine volume has however allowed me to ease myself in with hardly any resistance, and I am forever indebted to John DiGaetani for his book b rimming with handy hints and tips.

Much of the superfluous has been cleaned, with each enema and friend and familial connection detailed clearly."

"This has turned a seemingly bottomless of intricacy into the best thing that I've experienced aurally - often leaving me literally gaping."

"Penetrating Wagner's Ring is a wonderful way to spend many a lazy afternoon, or even the odd fun-filled weekend!"

"Initially I had a hard time getting into Wagner's ring, no matter how much I pushed myself, I just couldn't slip into it. However, I found that slowly, after repeated attempts, Wagner's ring loosened up and permitted me the access I'd been seeking.

Now, whenever I get lonely on cold winter nights I just dip into Wagner's ring. I don't think I've reached the bottom of it yet, but I'm getting close"

Maybe I'm just a pervert... but some of these must be intentional...

Ephemerid

Quote from: Lethe on March 31, 2008, 12:04:05 PM

"I first approached Wagner's Ring years ago with some trepidation knowing that many had found it incredibly hard. Fingering between the sheets of this fine volume has however allowed me to ease myself in with hardly any resistance, and I am forever indebted to John DiGaetani for his book b rimming with handy hints and tips.

Much of the superfluous has been cleaned, with each enema and friend and familial connection detailed clearly."

"This has turned a seemingly bottomless of intricacy into the best thing that I've experienced aurally - often leaving me literally gaping."

"Penetrating Wagner's Ring is a wonderful way to spend many a lazy afternoon, or even the odd fun-filled weekend!"

"Initially I had a hard time getting into Wagner's ring, no matter how much I pushed myself, I just couldn't slip into it. However, I found that slowly, after repeated attempts, Wagner's ring loosened up and permitted me the access I'd been seeking.

Now, whenever I get lonely on cold winter nights I just dip into Wagner's ring. I don't think I've reached the bottom of it yet, but I'm getting close"

:D

That's not a freudian slip-- that's a freudian avalanche!!

Ephemerid

Inside that uppermost beam of light is the earth.  From a Voyager 1 photo taken some 4 billion miles away.

Kullervo

Quote from: Saul on March 31, 2008, 06:15:04 AM
I don't know of any famous Swiss composers except for Bloch.. ;)

Honegger and Frank Martin, but neither were Jewish AFAIK.

Kullervo

Quote from: sarabande on March 31, 2008, 12:11:38 PM
Inside that uppermost beam of light is the earth.  From a Voyager 1 photo taken some 4 billion miles away.

When was this taken?

bhodges

Thanks, that's a nice Wiki entry.  I hadn't seen Sagan's speech mentioning the "pale blue dot," and it's quite moving.

--Bruce

greg

Quote from: Lethe on March 31, 2008, 12:04:05 PM

:-X
:)
;D
;D
;D
;D

George

Quote from: sarabande on March 31, 2008, 12:11:38 PM

Very cool photo, thanks!!