Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Corey on May 19, 2008, 01:02:55 PM
It seems like most of my life has been an attempt to reconcile the ridiculous and the sublime.

Indeedie, earlier I was watching a police chase show on mute (only John Bunnell does good voiceovers, the rest suck) with a Mozart SQ playing - it seemed the only solution - the ultra cheap numetal soundtrack was driving me nuts :-\ I somehow doubt that Mozart came out with much dignity from that experience.

I just ran into this section btw ;D Les Six.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

12tone.

greg

http://www.ibeatyou.com./competition/776ef5/coolest-picture

"Volcano Lightning Storm" and "Afraid of Heights?"...... like pictures out of a dream!  :o

12tone.

Somehow there's something funny about this...whether classically oriented (labels?) or not....

jfmac

Quote from: Lethe on May 12, 2008, 10:11:02 PM
I am lame... I like pretty pictures :P

Click for non-scaled down version, etc.

What is that?

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Kullervo

Quote from: jfmac on May 25, 2008, 06:37:49 AM
What is that?

Obviously it's a giant chrome snake coiling across a Black Forest village.

Actually I'd like to know too.

Lethevich

What is that?

A football stadium: it can apparently do neat things like light up in different colours - info here.

Anne

Atlas tire commercial

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

knight66

OK, I was very puzzled until I went onto the site.

"That is exactly what you think it is: Phoenix descending to the Martian surface underneath its parachute. This incredible shot was taken by the HiRISE camera on board the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. You can easily see the 'chute, the lander (still in its shell) and even the tether lines!

Think on this, and think on it carefully: you are seeing a manmade object falling gracefully and with intent to the surface of an alien world, as seen by another manmade object already circling that world, both of them acting robotically, and both of them hundreds of million of kilometers away."

I like the opening words.......I would have sat for a year and not guessed the photo to be anything like what it turned out to be about.

Even taking account of what it is, and remarkable as it is, it would not come into my top 100 images.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

btpaul674

What is that?

Well well that would be the great Allianz Arena in Germany, home of FC Bayern Munich. The greatest of all German teams. 21 Bundesliga titles, 4 Champions League Titles.

Die Roten!

маразм1

Drinking beer early in the morning...clowns!! ughhh

Lethevich

Kullervo

Renfield

Quote from: Corey on May 19, 2008, 01:02:55 PM
I can't help but think dumb things like Encyclopedia Dramatica and certain internet memes are funny. It's my guilty pleasure.  :-[ It seems like most of my life has been an attempt to reconcile the ridiculous and the sublime. Do you know anyone who reads Proust and laughs at 4chan? (If so, give me their phone number!  >:D)

I know at least one person who fits that description, two if you count my own intent to reserve some time for Proust; pun intended.

Although I'm really a new[censored] - I only bump into ED every once in a few months, spend a few hours giggling at it and resume my prior occupation. Thankfully, I have yet to indulge on 4chan itself, much to the benefit of my sanity*.

*And unlike said friend of mine, who fully fits your description/criteria. :D

Re memes, I've always had a fondness for this iteration of the negation of Vader's well-known mistranslated cry of anguish (DO NOT WANT):

But a picture that recently made me actually smile, and make a copy, was this one:

It's a gorilla in a Leicestershire zoo celebrating his 45th birthday, and it could well have been a human by his look. I understand that ape.

Lethevich

Quote from: Corey on June 08, 2008, 06:47:32 PM

I can't believe I missed that - only saw it when I went to bump the thread :( I approve of compact cameras, they allow me to see wonderful things such as that :X

I would play "guess where this is", but it's too easy to Google. Great photo, though. (Edit: click for non-scaled, etc)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Lethe on June 14, 2008, 04:03:46 PM
I would play "guess where this is", but it's too easy to Google. Great photo, though. (Edit: click for non-scaled, etc)

Same place  ;)

Olivier

Lethevich

scarpia

Quote from: Corey on June 08, 2008, 06:47:32 PM

Hard to understand why you would "like" a picture of a man dying on the highway.