Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

Quote from: Lethe on August 15, 2008, 06:33:08 PM
A picture request: A medieval/early renaissance painting of a skinny impish looking green devil "tempting" a nobleman in a hall (perhaps stairs in the background) - the devil has an ass with a face on it.

I have tried searching through random artist pages on Wikipedia, Googling with various keywords, but all these attempts have failed. The painting is quite striking and reasonably well-known.

This is immensely vaguely what it looks like. Perhaps the only accurate part of it might be the size/position/colour of the Devil - but it gives a kind of impression of it, to jog some minds:

Edit: Oh, and it looks totally Flemmish/northern in style.

Edit2: Sorry for spam, found two similar pics - devil is on the same side in both and is similarly skinny:

by

Michael Pacher, um 1480

Vom rechten Außenflügel des Kirchenväteraltars München, Alte Pinakothek

Lethevich

Quote from: pjme on August 28, 2008, 01:01:19 PM
  by

Michael Pacher, um 1480

OMG THANK YOU very much :o I didn't think I was going to find it :( It is delightfully strange and going straight to my desktop :D

(I notice that I also remembered the details rather incorrectly... but I was halfway there 0:))
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

greg

Quote from: pjme on August 28, 2008, 01:01:19 PM
  by

Michael Pacher, um 1480

I didn't know they were allowed to paint stuff like that back then.

pjme

well, do check the paintings by Bruegel ( Breughel), Mathias Grünewald and, of course, Jeroen (Hieronimus )Bosch....

Peter

Lethevich

Old Sarum was a medieval fortified town built on an iron age hill fort, and I find it so striking that it having fallen into ruin depresses me a little. Ironically, unlike many English monestary sites which were purposely demolished in the 16th century, significantly less of this has survived than in those sites... Still, whatever, pretty pix:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/682/94571284ue2.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1362/53994191dg3.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3638/50299878kq0.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9459/14284931lq7.jpg

A kind of funny sign that they have there:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6728/38348686li2.jpg

Edit: changed a few images into links, this forum sucks at large image posts :P

knight66

Old Sarum was one of the 'rotten boroughs' in the 17th through to the 19th centuries. It had something like six voters within its boundaries and returned an MP. Eventually these Boroughs were swept away in Parliamentary reform.

The aeriel views are really impressive.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Lethevich

Quote from: knight on August 30, 2008, 09:36:44 AM
Old Sarum was one of the 'rotten boroughs' in the 17th through to the 19th centuries. It had something like six voters within its boundaries and returned an MP. Eventually these Boroughs were swept away in Parliamentary reform.

Indeedie... I love the way that a HILL with some ruins on retained city status until the 19th century :D

M forever

Not exactly a picture, but a T-shirt that I ran into earlier (worn by a nice young lady) and which cracked me up totally:

Lethevich

Quote from: M forever on August 30, 2008, 10:29:09 PM
Not exactly a picture, but a T-shirt that I ran into earlier (worn by a nice young lady) and which cracked me up totally:

The state also seems to be in the shape of somebody giving the finger, this adds further levels of complexity...

ezodisy

Kullervo

One of the blogs Pink Harp plagiarized linked to a set of photos titled Only in Egypt. Here are some highlights  ;D:

Lethevich

ezodisy

Lethevich

Lethevich

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

orbital

Quote from: Corey on September 07, 2008, 06:30:16 PM

This is not as dumb as it looks. I've seen plenty of people in malls/office buildings/hotels who press the wrong button for the elevator  Particularly in malls. I don't know what they're thinking :P

Lethevich

Sorry, I am addicted to random pics :-X

Christo

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on August 28, 2008, 04:59:58 PM
I didn't know they were allowed to paint stuff like that back then.

Well no: they didn't forbid to paint religious scenes in those days. Why do you think so?  0:)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

greg

Quote from: Christo on September 13, 2008, 04:32:17 AM
Well no: they didn't forbid to paint religious scenes in those days. Why do you think so?  0:)
i meant the weird insect things.......

Quote from: Lethe on September 12, 2008, 08:27:15 PM
Sorry, I am addicted to random pics :-X

this pic is sooooooooo funny
why does the North European have to be first and the Negro last?
what's with the 5 different Africans?
why is there only one "Oriental" perso there- why no Vietnamese, Koreans, Thai or Japanese?
Wheres' the Filipinos?
Where's the South Europeans? Are they too unimportant?
And the middle Europeans, too?
why does the Jew have such a stereotypical big nose?
why is the Eskimo similing? They're all supposed to be depressed.