Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

A slightly odd convergence of taste...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 21, 2008, 08:09:40 AM
I think I recognize Rachmaninoff (far right, second row) and maybe Kempff (center, front row).

Stravinsky and Medner to the left?

knight66

That Cage piece is clearly shorter than I had thought. Easy to overlook it.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Drasko

That converts into 1m 30cm in metric, so on continental programes should stand Cage 1'30'', no?

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on October 28, 2008, 02:22:41 PM
Stravinsky and Medner to the left?

pjme

But who is the mystery person?? A brother of...Emil Jannings?  :o

M forever

Drasko - you misspelt Rachmaninoff's name in the picture.

$:)

ezodisy

Quote from: M forever on October 29, 2008, 01:06:21 PM

lol! I hadn't seen Siloti before, the man who arranged the unforgettable Bach-Siloti Prelude in B minor, which unfortunately has now been removed from Youtube (Sokolov).

knight66

Quote from: ezodisy on October 29, 2008, 01:43:15 PM
lol! I hadn't seen Siloti before, the man who arranged the unforgettable Bach-Siloti Prelude in B minor, which unfortunately has now been removed from Youtube (Sokolov).

And let's be clear; that had nothing to do with the moderators here.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Maciek

There's also a lovely recording of the Bach-Siloti by Ewa Poblocka - released on some impossible to get Japanese CD (I've only heard it on the radio).

Drasko

Quote from: M forever on October 29, 2008, 01:06:21 PM

Not only Rachmaninov, misspelt Furtwangler as well.

Keemun

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

vandermolen

I share a taste for the paintings of Caspar David Friedrich with Solitary Wanderer but another of my favourites is Louis Corinth. Here is his 'Ecce Homo', Christ between the forces of science and militarism. It featured in the Nazis 'Exhibition of Degenerate Art' in 1937, a few years after Corinth's death:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

I like this one by Lovis Corinth, too:
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lilas Pastia

Thanks for those, Jeffrey and Johan. I had never heard of Louis Corinth before.

I like this one too:

Kullervo

I love the art of Adolf Wölfli, a schizophrenic resident of an insane asylum that who died in 1930.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on November 01, 2008, 04:41:15 PM
I love the art of Adolf Wölfli, a schizophrenic resident of an insane asylum that died in 1930.

The death of an insane asylum is always a tragedy.  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Thanks Johan and Andre for the responses. Another Corinth favourite "The Red Christ". I had the good fortune to go to an exhibition of his paintings in London a few years ago:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2008, 01:45:06 AM
Thanks Johan and Andre for the responses. Another Corinth favourite "The Red Christ". I had the good fortune to go to an exhibition of his paintings in London a few years ago:

Very powerful, even unsettling.

vandermolen

And just to show that my taste is not entirely morbid here is a painting I like of Corinth with his young wife: