Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

His colours certainly owe something to the Dutch school. I can see Rembrandt and Vermeer...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on November 02, 2008, 01:56:01 AM
His colours certainly owe something to the Dutch school. I can see Rembrandt and Vermeer...

Yes, I think that you are right. Corinth must also have taken the Snel Train to Delft one day (or was in the Sprinter?...sorry, in joke) to see the Vermeers.
Anyway, here is another painting of Corinth about to hit his wife over the head with some paint brushes  ;D

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2008, 01:07:52 AM
Yes, I think that you are right. Corinth must also have taken the Snel Train to Delft one day (or was in the Sprinter?...sorry, in joke) to see the Vermeers.
Anyway, here is another painting of Corinth about to hit his wife over the head with some paint brushes  ;D

It wasn't the Herrenberg Train... Re the hitting - why do you think she is wearing that hat?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on November 02, 2008, 01:24:15 AM
It wasn't the Herrenberg Train... Re the hitting - why do you think she is wearing that hat?

Maybe it was for the baby's christening...but clearly Corinth disapproved  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

knight66

The Corinth work is powerful and I like a painter who uses paint that looks like paint, as opposed to a photographic approach.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

knight66

Sarah, Unfortunately such an apt picture in present circumstances in the Congo.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

mozartsneighbor

I spent the afternoon yesterday at the Kunsthistorisches Museum here in Vienna. I had been there a few times, but I hadn't seen their incredible collection of Brueghel paintings. I had seen many prints of the works of this Renaissance painter before, but somehow his paintings just don't quite come across in reproductions -- however, I was completely blown away by his work live. The atmosphere, sensibility, colors: without doubt a great master.
Here is one I liked particularly, titled "Gloomy Day":

mozartsneighbor

Quote from: Corey on November 01, 2008, 04:41:15 PM
I love the art of Adolf Wölfli, a schizophrenic resident of an insane asylum that died in 1930.

Thanks for posting that, Corey. I made a mental note to look up Wölfli's paintings when I read the liner notes of the cd with Nørgård's 4th&5th symphonies, but then forgot all about it. Now I can see why he captivated Nørgård so much.

Kullervo

Quote from: Jezetha on November 02, 2008, 01:43:24 AM
The death of an insane asylum is always a tragedy.  ;)

Aah, the subtleties of English! :D

Quote from: mozartsneighbor on November 02, 2008, 03:10:58 AM
Thanks for posting that, Corey. I made a mental note to look up Wölfli's paintings when I read the liner notes of the cd with Nørgård's 4th&5th symphonies, but then forgot all about it. Now I can see why he captivated Nørgård so much.

No problem. I've been meaning to get a book of prints of his work but keep putting it off. This one looks interesting.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Corey on November 02, 2008, 03:29:07 AM
Aah, the subtleties of English! :D

No problem. I've been meaning to get a book of prints of his work but keep putting it off. This one looks interesting.

Yes, that was a good one. I had to reread it to get the point.

Brueghel is probably my all-time favourite painter, and Gloomy Day is one of his most extraordinary works. I think Gauguin is one of the very few painters whose sense of nature was as intuitively right as Brueghel's.

Meanwhile, back to the topic:

J.Z. Herrenberg

prémont

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2008, 01:49:22 AM
And just to show that my taste is not entirely morbid here is a painting I like of Corinth with his young wife:

She obviously backs him up.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Haffner

Quote from: Harry's Corner on November 03, 2008, 01:48:19 AM

Gorgeous! The top reminds me of the mermaids in Rheingold.

Who is this good looking man (laughing)?

Haffner

greg

Ha, nice poses. Is that a tattoo on your hand?  :o

Haffner

Quote from: G$ on November 03, 2008, 02:49:02 AM
Ha, nice poses. Is that a tattoo on your hand?  :o

Yeah, an old, dumb one that reads "shooting star".

J.Z. Herrenberg

Haffner

Quote from: Jezetha on November 03, 2008, 03:00:37 AM
My guess, erm - Killer Bob with glasses?

Now I've got to know whom Killer Bob is (laughing)